OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

Rita's imo is a bit of wasted space and very cold as it is open at the rear to Deck 11 and the main entrance is from the back of the Windjammer. So every time the door is opened you get a nice blast of wind. OK in the tropics but not pleasant in cold climates.

However, the Margarita's are fantastic and they have a happy hour every day. Best thing is you don't have to eat there to enjoy the Margarita.:D

Good to know about the happy hour - being from Texas also I am not excited about their food - but I will find a Margarita or two with my mom. If I cant take her to real Tex-Mex at her fav place Chuy's here in Austin - then we can pretend with the margaritas and eat something else.

Time seems to fly when you're having so much fun! We're already on day 11 in Alaska and before we know it they will be kicking us off this wonderful ship! Today we are in SKAGWAY, from 7am-8:30pm. This is also a repeated port for hubby & I. Last time we did the trip to Carcross on motorcoach with a return on the White Pass/Yukon Railway. It was a great trip and I would recommend it to anyone who likes trains and / or history who hasn't done it before. There were many on our cruise who were taking that excursion for the second or third time.

This time we chose to rent a car and do the trip with our friends, on-our-own. We rented from Avis at a much steeper price of $129.95 for the day for a full-size car. Still, after gas it will be much cheaper than taking tours and we'll have the added benefit of stopping where we want for as long as we want.

The Avis office opened at 8am but we were off the ship by 7:20am and walked to the office just 4/10 mile and 7 minutes away. We wanted to get in line and get an early start so that we could (hopefully) beat the buses to Carcross! We were the first ones there and by the time they opened at 8am there were 5-6 others in line. We had the keys and were on the road before 8:15.

I downloaded MURRAY'S GUIDE to the South Klondike Highway, which comes in PDF format for a $5 fee paid thru paypal. You can load it right to ibooks on your iPad or onto your kindle or even print it out and take it with you. It's around 34 pages with 54 pictures and mile-marker-by-mile-marker commentary of what you are seeing and places to pull over for great views, trails, places to eat, etc. Murray was a tour bus driver for 17 year and daily tours for cruise passengers every summer. He is a wealth of information. He updates the book every so often and allows you to download the updated version at no fee. I would highly recommend getting his guide if you plan to do this drive on your own.

His website is: http://***************** Apparently I cant post the website but it is murrays guide dot com

If you have an iPod/iPad there is now an MP3 audio guide to Skagway and the highway (with excellent musical accompaniment, and geocaching information), for $8.99 - download The Bear Essentials Only US residents can download from that Amazon link, but the album is also available from iTunes.

We stopped several times for pictures along the way. Just after the mile marker 11 after we came across the William Moore bridge we spotted a black bear just inside the guard rail but unfortunately there was no place to pull over until the next pull out. We stopped there and I was able to get this shot with my long range lens.

image_zpse584e90e.jpg

image_zps8e0271d3.jpg

image_zpsd850a689.jpg

image_zps80b939b6.jpg

This waterfall was enormous. I believe it is called International Falls at the border of Alaska & Canada. This shot is zoomed in so I don't think it shows really how big it was on the side of the mountain. For some reason this looks more horizontal in the picture, but trust me it is big!

image_zpsd0ff3648.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

The YUKON SUSPENSION BRIDGE at Tutshi Canyon is located on the South Klondike Highway, just a few miles north of the White Pass summit. Admission is normally $20 per person. However, if you downloaded or printed out Murray's Guide, everyone in your party receives 1/2 off admission! Makes that initial $5 investment, well worthwhile now doesn't it?

This is a swaying suspension bridge 57 feet above the roaring rapids... if you're brave enough to take it on. I couldn't wait! After crossing the bridge there is a hiking trail (if you have the time) that leads to an authentic trapper's cabin. There are interpretive displays at the visitors center, a restaurant and gift shop. All areas right up to the suspension bridge are wheelchair accessible.

image_zpsc94f23c5.jpg

image_zps1ee417e4.jpg

image_zpsd0d88415.jpg

image_zps8542d4b5.jpg

Food prices at the snack bar at the entrance. I believe there may also be a restaurant but we didn't go to the other building so not sure what type of foods or prices it may have.

image_zps31a98e20.jpg

Amazing views along the way... and no, these have not been photo-shopped, the water was like a mirror, just unbelievable until you see it for yourself!

image_zps63b4da23.jpg

image_zps06c4525c.jpg

Bove Island:

image_zps2a766fc8.jpg

We drove thru Carcross and then we traveled north just a few more minutes to visit the CARCROSS DESERT, said to be the smallest desert in the world, covering just 1 square mile or 640 acres.

image_zpsc7580b60.jpg

Then it was on to Emerald Lake for this beautiful view. I crossed the road and hiked up a very steep embankment that was mostly loose gravel to get a great shot. It was work and I had to rest at the top before the trip back down. Hubby and friends just laughed at me from below! I definitely would not try to climb this in flip flops. To me it was worth the extra effort for the view and the photo opportunity.

image_zps74092621.jpg

On the way back we stopped in Carcross and had lunch at the Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery. This is one of only 2-3 places to eat between Skagway and Emerald Lake. They offer a soup of the day and pre made sandwiches as well as homemade baked items. Hubby & I shared a soup (today was a beef, veggie & rice soup) which came with a small piece of bread and hubby had a sandwich. We then got a peach crumble (which was HUGE), that we had them warm in the microwave, to go.

image_zps13ddb1b5.jpg

image_zpsb3298d6e.jpg

image_zps830bb962.jpg

image_zps41003bb6.jpg

We parked at the visitors center and walked down to the Matthew Watson General Store for a dip of vanilla ice cream (to go on top of our warm peach crumble). This is also the place where you can self-stamp your passport... it used to be at the post office but because of budget cuts they no longer offer the service.

image_zpsccc2e144.jpg

Then we crossed the street and sat at a picnic table outside the train depot and had our dessert.

image_zpsc5f8375d.jpg

image_zps569bf9af.jpg

Afterwards I walked around the very small down town taking pictures. After a quick stop in the visitors center to use their (nice, clean) restrooms we headed back to Skagway.

image_zpsa1535d49.jpg

image_zps7cb84ac7.jpg

image_zpsc7bdbda9.jpg

image_zpsb8829947.jpg

How far is Glacier Gardens? Is there a city bus that could take us there? Or maybe a cab? Thought that might be a nice place for my mom and I to go. We're taking the blue bus to Mendenhall and will at least walk to Nugget Falls, but I don't think that will take all day. Can you buy tix when you get there using the Toursaver coupon or do you need to book in advance? My hard drive got fried in a storm we had the other night and I don't think I'll get it back before we leave, so walk ups would be great!

How far is Glacier Gardens? Is there a city bus that could take us there? Or maybe a cab? Thought that might be a nice place for my mom and I to go. We're taking the blue bus to Mendenhall and will at least walk to Nugget Falls, but I don't think that will take all day. Can you buy tix when you get there using the Toursaver coupon or do you need to book in advance? My hard drive got fried in a storm we had the other night and I don't think I'll get it back before we leave, so walk ups would be great!

Yes, you can purchase tickets on the spot using your Toursavers coupons. There is a city shuttle, you might check their schedule to see if they go to the Gardens. I think your mom would like it.

Breathtaking! You can sure see why people move there in spite of the winter. We've been watching all the Alaska shows like Below Zero and Buy Alaska lately...just amazing.

Whetting my apatite.

Glad that you are enjoying it!

Your pictures are just amazing. Loving this cruise. :)

Bill

Thanks Bill!

There's still more to come. We got home last night around 9:30pm then hosted our grandson's first birthday swim party at our house today... I'm going back to work tomorrow, hoping I can get a little rest :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Skagway, continued....

We filled up the rental car for $20 and hubby dropped me in town at the Christmas store, the girls at the port entrance and then he & Elijah dropped then rental and met me back in town. After a few pictures, an ornament and a gift for the 4 grandbabies we headed back to the ship around 4pm.

Tonight we had dinner in the main dining room and met our table mates for the first time. They were 3 sisters from California and they were very nice. We had great conversation. The food tonight was average dining room food. Hubby had a fish dish, I had the Ckicken Marsala, friends had the Lasagna and one of the sisters had the Eggplant Parmigiana. Everyone enjoyed their food. Everyone had assorted desserts and no one was complaining so they must have been good. I skipped dessert tonight.

image_zps75daf2d0.jpg

image_zpsbf4fa057.jpg

image_zpsc82a3c43.jpg

image_zps6029be63.jpg

image_zps5763b299.jpg

After dinner hubby went back to the room as he has been fighting a cold coming on and wasn't feeling too well. I joined Debbie & Elijah at the Quill & Compass Pub for a 70's Trivia Challenge. We had a great time but it was a lot harder than I had imagined it would be. We got 5 out of 15 and the winners got 14 out of 15... I'm thinking they must be regulars!

After a long day I was worn out so I headed off to bed. I'm hoping to sleep in tomorrow morning. Our excursion isn't until noon.

Finally, we slept in for real today! We didnt even got out of bed until 10am, just long enough for a quick shower, a fast bite in the Windjammer and then we were on the tender into port.

Today we have an non-ship sponsored excursion booked. We are in ICY STRAIT POINT / HOONAH and will be in port from 7am to 4pm. Today is the first day that we have had absolutely no AT&T cellphone signal :(

image_zpsfb830a9e.jpg

We are doing a whale watching tour with Captain Paul Comelli using HOONAH TRAVEL ADVENTURES.

image_zps2d810c43.jpg

Information about the tours offered by this vendor, from their website:

Whale Watch Tour

Price $165 per adult

Duration 3 hrs

Schedule 3 Tours Daily * Based on Cruise Ship Schedule

What's Included Transfers & Snacks

Boat Fill Note** While we book our boats separately, if 18 or fewer total bookings are received for any given tour, all passengers will go on the "Hoonah Bound".

Our tour begins when we pick you up just outside the gates of Icy Strait Point, a privately owned property of the Huna Totem Corporation located in Hoonah, Alaska. We will drive along Shaman Point to the Hoonah City Commercial Dock where our charter boat will be waiting for us. Along the way you may spot some of our local wildlife including Alaskan Brown Bears, Bald Eagles, Blacktail Deer, and more. Hoonah is home to the largest concentration of Alaskan Brown Bears in the world.

We will then board the boat and leave Hoonah Harbor. While traveling along the shorelines, sightings of bears, deer, coastal ducks and geese, blue heron, puffin, swans, terns, cormorants and more are common. In the water you may get a chance to spot humpback, orca, sea otters, sea lions, porpoises, and seals. Captain Paul is a knowledgeable guide and will be happy to share his wealth of knowledge with you. Paul prides himself in having a 99% track record in sighting whales for visitors, and does everything he can to ensure guests have the experience of a lifetime.

Humpback whales come to Hoonah to feed on the nutrient rich waters of Glacier Bay and Icy Strait every summer in huge numbers before migrating south again in the winter. The whale population begins to arrive in Hoonah in May and stay through September. Humpback whales are large baleen whales that can reach over 50 feet in length and weigh as much as 30-50 tons. They are perhaps most famous for their whale songs, thought to be used by males as a mating call. Humpbacks are amazingly active and typical whale sightings will include diving, blows, and flukes (tails). Lucky whale-watchers may get to see breaching, bubble-net feeding, a cooperative feeding method where a pod forms a circle and dives under the water. They then blow air to create a wall of bubbles that force krill and plankton to the surface where the whales can eat them. Observing humpbacks practice bubble-net feeding is a real treat and a truly thrilling experience.

Our boats are built for speed and comfort, and they are perfectly suited for travel along Alaska's waterways. With viewing decks and a heated cabins guests will stay warm and dry as they experience the wonder and beauty of our whale watching trip. If 6 or less guests book any given tour, the Yaay will go out. If more than 6 guests book any given tour the Hoonah Bound will go out. We will return to the docks and transport you back to Icy Strait Point with plenty of time to board your ship or explore downtown Hoonah. While we book our boats separately, all passengers may end up on the Hoonah Bound if 18 or fewer total bookings are received for any given tour.

Hoonah City Tour

Price $35 per Adult , $25 per Child 12 & under

Duration 1 hr

Schedule Hourly Tours Offered Daily* based on cruise ship schedule.

This amazing journey back in time starts with a short but scenic ride to the largest Tlingit settlement in Alaska, on a tour designed to show you how the Tlingits live today, and also centuries ago. Hoonah is many things in a small package: A lively fishing community, an old logging town and the world's largest Tlingit village. Your local guide will describe how this coastal community came to be when the rapid glacial advance of the Little Ice Age forced the clans from their ancestral home in Glacier Bay. Learn about how the people rebuilt when the village was destroyed by fire during WWII. At the small Hoonah School you will be able to take photographs of the fascinating Totem poles that are a feature of this village and learn how to read them. With photo-stops built into your trip, your guide will be on hand at all times to point out the many wonderful details that make this settlement so special: there are few paved roads and no stoplights throughout the community. You will also learn about the local economy and in particular, how the fishing, timber and tourism industries help support and sustain Hoonah. Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for the animal representatives of the two Tlingit moieties keeping watch over town - Ravens and Eagles!

http://www.hoonahwhalewatching.com/tours.html

This is another tour that I booked using my ALASKA TOUR SAVERS book buy-one-get-one-free coupon. This saved me $165. Our tour was at 12:00pm to 3pm and we needed to meet the shuttle at 11:30 after being tendered from the ship.

A tour is available thru the ship at a comparable price, maybe even $10 per person cheaper, however it will be on larger boat where we would feel herded. The smaller boats tend to get closer to the whales and have better, more personal interaction with the captain. And the biggest difference... I couldn't use my BOGO coupon to save 1/2 off the cost for the two of us :)

I don't recall right off hand if there was a BOGO coupon for the city tour. However, you can visit the Alaska Toursaver website for a a list of every coupon and offer that is in the book: http://www.toursaver.com/

ICY STRAIT POINT and Juneau are the two ports most recommended for whale watching. We did one in Juneau on our previous trip and unfortunately didn't see anything, so we were are hoping for a better outcome this time!

AND BOY WERE WE EVER LUCKY!!!

We weren't on the water 15 minutes before we spotted whales. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that we saw 30-40 (or more) whales. The were traveling in groups of 3-5 and they put on an extraordinary show for us. We saw so many whale tails, two and three at a time! We saw bubble net feeding, whales rolling over, there were even 2 different times that one breached! And wouldn't you know it I was watching a different group of whale tails on the opposite side of the ship and missed it! Hubby got to see one of them but it was so quick no one on the boat captured a pic of it.

This is how it was for the entire time we were out on the water. Three or more at a time, diving, blowing, etc.

image_zps3eef9f3f.jpg

image_zps9059e097.jpg

This guy was swimming right for our boat, their fins got literally within 10 foot of the boat:

image_zps10145375.jpg

This one was rolling over and waving at us with his side swimming fin:

image_zps07289899.jpg

And this is the giant splash after the breach that I just missed seeing!

image_zpsed8a4900.jpg

A pretty good tail shot:

image_zpsc4fc5447.jpg

ICY STRAIT POINT / HOONAH, CONTINUED...

We had a total of 17 on our tour. Captain Paul was awesome. He was very personable, happy to answer questions and share his knowledge. Everyone had an incredible time. I cannot recommend this tour enough. I would have been happy to pay full price for our tickets, it was well worth the cost of the tour.

image_zps73b7b45e.jpg

image_zpseec1473b.jpg

We also saw some porpoise, a seal and a bald eagle. The tour before us got to see a bear on the shore but not as much whale activity as we did. We were so busy with the whales there was no time to troll the shores looking for bears. Just FYI ... There are 4 bears for every 1 persons here so chances of seeing one is pretty good. 1200 people, 4500 bears on the island.

On our way back to the dock we watched the local kids jumping off the dock I to 35 degree water!

image_zps62c4a6b9.jpg

This is a very small town, last years graduating class was 4. Milk and a dozen eggs are $5 each and a loaf of bread is $4! This is the grocery, fuel & hardware store that sits out over the water:

image_zps09cd7f09.jpg

This is the oldest house in Hoonah, the only one that didn't burn to the ground in the fire in the early 40's:

image_zps1a062fba.jpg

These are crab cages that will be used during the winter crab season:

image_zps089ced83.jpg

We got dropped back at the port area just after 3pm.

image_zps569b8f12.jpg

image_zpsd125a8d3.jpg

image_zpsd47aae6c.jpg

I had just enough time to shop for my Christmas ornaments before we had to catch a tender back to the ship before 3:30. The tender was only a 5 minute ride. We came back to the room and hung out on the balcony until dinner.

Finally, we slept in for real today! We didnt even got out of bed until 10am, just long enough for a quick shower, a fast bite in the Windjammer and then we were on the tender into port.

Tonight was formal night and we had reservations with our friends at Samba Grill. This was our first time to try it out and it was good. Not as good as Texas de Brazil, but still very good. If you are a meat-eater you will enjoy it.

I didn't get any good pictures of dinner, and there really aren't menus in Samba Grill. Here was the dessert offerings though...

Here are the main dining room menus for tonight (even though we didn't eat there)

image_zps3560ef1d.jpg

image_zps56b7c04e.jpg

image_zpsd8d66f79.jpg

After dinner on the way back to the cabin we watched a dance contest they were having in the Centrum. On the way to the elevator we ran in to our table-mate, Teri, who offered us a FREE bottle of champagne that her Travel Agent had sent to her. She didn't drink champagne and didn't want it to go to waste. We figure that we will ice it down and invite our friends over to the balcony on the last night to celebrate our trip.

So, Teri, if you're reading this, THANKS for the Champagne we really enjoyed it on our last night on our balcony with our friends. It was much appreciated!

Today we are in KETCHIKAN from 9am to 6pm with all aboard being 5:30pm. We are doing two non-ship sponsored tours today. Both were booked with coupons from the ALASKA TOURSAVER book for BOGO free. I wanted to do a morning Misty Fjords flight but someone had already used a coupon for that excursion. Therefore we took the next available option at 3pm. So for the morning we are doing the Adventure Karts instead. Using my toursaver coupons we saved $478 on these two tours alone.

We got up this morning and dressed in jeans for an adventurous day. Skipped doing anything to my hair since I knew I would have helmet hair in a couple of hours after doing the Adventure Karts. We stopped by the Park Cafe for a quick, light breakfast then proceeded off the ship.

We walked off the ship to a VERY cold morning. This port, by far, had the most shopping and eating within walking distance. We looked around for our tour provider,then asked and were told to go to the visitors center which has a huge rain gauge and a statue in front of it. After about 15 minutes an older gentleman came looking for us. He took us to a shuttle van and then drove us 13 miles outside town in to Tongass National Forrest. We were the only ones one the "private" tour. Shortly after we arrived a bus with 15 others showed up from the Celebrity ship. They had already done an earlier, and had a later, tour from RCI scheduled. Everyone signed waivers, then geared up in rubber pants and jackets (if you wanted) and the mandatory helmet.

image_zps5df8a90d.jpg

After a short safety speech and explanation of how the Israeli made Tom Cars operated we were off.

image_zpse4c30b60.jpg

The tour is 7 miles in with 2 stops along the way for pictures & a snack (8 oz water & granola bar). At the second stop you had the opportunity to take a very short walk (maybe 5 minutes max) to see a waterfall. We did it but wasn't impressed after the ones we've seen over the last week at other places. Still it was time to stretch our legs and beat standing around waiting one everyone else.

This is me sporting my helmet hair:

image_zps864562f8.jpg

At the half way point you have the chance to switch drivers if you like, which we did. Hubby drove on the way up and I drove on the way back. We both agreed it was much more fun to be the driver instead of the passenger.

image_zpsb202082d.jpg

This was at our first stop, the black things in the picture are eagles. There were actually 3 of them flying overhead doing a "mating" dance according to our tour guides:

image_zps443ddd45.jpg

Overall the karts were fun and we had an enjoyable time. I wouldn't see us paying full price to do it again, but I'm glad we got the option of going for half price! Our tour left at 9:15 and returned about 12:15.

When it was over they asked if we minded riding back with the group instead of waiting for the van driver and we said no problem. We were back at the dock in about 20 minutes and went on board for lunch.

By using the BOGO coupon from the Alaska Toursaver book, we saved $209 on this tour. The ships price for the exact tour was $204, less than you can book individually if you don't have a BOGO coupon. Information on the ADVENTURE KARTS can be found here: http://spiritofalaskatours.com/Tours/Kart-Excursion.html

Yesterday the captain had begun making announcements about Noro and reminding everyone to wash their hands. Apparently it is still not under control as they were now serving people in the WJ. I know they are doing it for our protection but I hate other people plopping stuff on my plate, mixing foods, pouring 1/3 cup of dressing on my salad that runs under all my food...gross! Oh we'll, we made the best of it and then headed back off the ship around 1:45.

We wanted to have a little time to look around the area and check out a couple of shops, namely the Christmas in Alaska store, which is owned by the same family that owns the Santa House in North Pole, Ak. The shop was nice and I found a blown glass cruise ship that had Alaskan Cruise 2013 on it that I purchased. I also got a float plane that said Ketchikan. We went thru a few more stores and then to the visitors center to wait for pick up.

After stopping to get gas ($4.32/gal, $13 to fill back up), we dropped our friends back at the shopping area near port and we drove down & turned in the rental car, then walked back to the port area where i shopped for my Juneau Christmas ornament & took a few pictures. Total cost of day in Juneau was $75 for the car ($15pp) plus $25 for Glacier Gardens. We all thought that was quite a bargain for all that we got to see & do.

This is a picture of the Mt Robert's tramway located right on the docks. It was directly in front of our ship.

image_zpse0cc83e1.jpg

The day was beautiful & clear but we decided to skip the tram ride.

This is the Tracy's Crab Shack that everyone talks about, it is also right off the docks:

image_zps047a055c.jpg

I had originally wanted to eat dinner here but then found out that crab season is in the winter so everything is frozen... which I can get back home. We were back on the ship around 6:15pm. Since we were already late for our early seating we decided to try out Rita's Cantina. The service was good and it was not busy. The chips were good, the salsa was bland. We ordered the guacamole not knowing that our entrees both came with a scoop on the side. The guacamole was very blended (smooth... No texture at all) and I can't honestly recommend it. Hubby ordered the beef fajita crunchy tacos and I ordered the chicken fajita quesadillas. To us the food was ok but not something that we would pay to do again... Now let me just say it may have a lot to do with the fact that we are from Texas, the TEX-MEX capital and we have awesome Mexican food at home.

image_zps8fbfe2da.jpg

image_zpsead19190.jpg

image_zps8ed42ced.jpg

Frozen schmozen! we had lunch at Tracys and then came back for dinner before the ship left! some of the best crab i have ever had and the crab bisque was UNREAL! thinking about it now.....

Frozen schmozen! we had lunch at Tracys and then came back for dinner before the ship left! some of the best crab i have ever had and the crab bisque was UNREAL! thinking about it now.....

Awww... don't make me regret my decision :( I also did it out of consideration of hubby as there was nothing on the menu he would eat. He offered for me to get something and him eat later... guess I should have taken him up on his offer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This time we were picked up by a lady who had lived in Ketchikan her entire live she was very nice and provided commentary about the town on our 10 minute ride to the float plane base. Again we were the only ones one the "private" tour. After about 10 more minutes the bus arrived with about 15 or so more people. Wile we watched a short safety video they divided everyone into plane groups arranging seating by weight. I think there were 3-4 groups which all went out at the same time with the pilot and 4-5 guests.

image_zpsb0f992db.jpg

We got the middle seats which was fine. There were windows all around, however you could only see out the front the majority of the time if you were up there as the nose of the plane was usually higher. The views were spectacular! To see below you 17 million acres of untouched land. It was so pristine. I cannot describe it with enough awe and detail for you to imagine, you will just have to see if for yourself. We saw lakes, bays, fjords, waterfalls, granite mountains and more.

image_zpsea78cc1b.jpg

image_zps54cfd2db.jpg

image_zpsd297cef8.jpg

image_zps642a11a9.jpg

We landed on a lake and everyone got out of the plane to stand on the float over waters that are more than 500 feet deep - believe me when I say I have no balance problems, but I was taking no chances, I held on to the wing support for dear life! After pictures we re-boarded the plane for our second water take off and the trip back to the base where our pilot landed with the smoothest landing you would never know you were on water. Our pilot was extremely skilled and had been flying since 1948. First in the Air Force then he went on to retire from UPS flying 747 cargo planes. We really enjoyed our first experience on a float plane. After landing they also took pictures of us by the plane and gave everyone a certificate and picture of the plane in a really nice folder. That was a very welcomed but unexpected bonus.

image_zps234387d5.jpg

Another view from the float plane:

image_zpsfc973989.jpg

Radiance of the Seas & a Silver Seas ships taken from the plane:

image_zps639765ae.jpg

Some of the port area:

image_zpsf5a6e500.jpg

The "LIQUID SUNSHINE GUAGE"

image_zps31b8ca88.jpg

Our MISTY FJORD FLOATPLANE TOUR was booked thru Spirit of Alaska Tours / Taquan Air. Using our BOGO coupon, we saved $269 on this tour. Information about the tour:

http://spiritofalaskatours.com/Tours/Misty-Fjords-Flightseeing.html

The same tour thru the ship was $270 per person, so basically the same price if you don't have the BOGO coupon.

Our tour started at 3:15 and we finished at 5:15 with a 5:30 all aboard. We were only a 10 minute drive away and the ship sponsored tour was behind us so we weren't worried. Our "private" van pulled us right next to the ship and we were onboard before 5:28 :D. The shuttle for the ship sponsored tour was right behind us and our friend Elijah was one of the last 2 back on the ship.

Since our day was so busy with tours we didn't get a chance to see Creek St or Saxman Village, etc. I wouldn't mind coming back to Ketchikan in the future.

After getting back on the ship I filled out the paper to get 2 Onboard Booking certificates (previously Future Cruise Certificates or Next Cruise Certificates) so we dropped that off at the Crown & Anchor location on deck 13.

I checked out the "hole" in the floor someone asked about earlier. It's pretty cool. How I walked thru here the first day taking pictures and missed it is beyond me!

image_zps69fae7b5.jpg

The view looking down thru the hole from the 13th deck to the 4th deck:

image_zps1dd46c34.jpg

The view looking up from deck 4 to the "hole":

image_zps0d1efe04.jpg

Tonight we had dinner reservations at Giovanni's at 7:30. We met our friends and enjoyed a great dinner and conversation. I didn't get copies of the menu but it can be found here:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/giovannis.pdf

Hubby and I had decided earlier that after 9 cruises we were finally going to make it to the Quest. So we headed down to the Colony Club and listened to some music until about 10pm when they started the Battle of the Sexes game and Quest was to follow. After a bit we decided that we were just too tired from the long day so we ended up going back to the room and calling it a day... Maybe next time!

Edited by ace1zoe2