Above expected medical care given aboard Century

jakedoc

Sailed Century 3 April to 18 April Hawaiian cruise. 3 days out of San Diego I started to get violently sick with GI and vomiting every 30 minutes though out the night. Obviously dehydrated my wife notified medical that I needed help getting to sick bay. Just for background I am a relatively healthy 50's male firefighter/paramedic but I know I would be unable to get to medical without help (it kicked my butt). They promptly came to my cabin and transported me via a wheelchair to medical where they got me admitted and seeing a physician in less than 10 minutes. The nurses and staff were very professional and caring. I received 2 different antiemetic drugs 2 liters of IV fluid and slept the next 18 hours in peace. Medical followed up on my condition with my wife a couple of times. Seeing and experiencing emergency rooms in the U.S I was pleasantly surprised on the quality of care on board the Century

I'm really glad for you that everything turned out well. Glad to hear you've recovered but it's lousy that it happened to you during a vacation.

I wish I could say the same about the physician we had on our cruise last month. We were on the Eclipse's last southern Caribbean sailing of the season and my father was with us. He's 80, and he took a bad fall while onboard. I went with him to the medical dept. and the doctor came out and spoke to me after examining Dad. I was looking at this guy wondering if he really even had a license to practice medicine. I saw a show on TV last year about the suspect quality of physicians on cruise ships. When I saw the doctor on Eclipse, I couldn't help but feel that I wouldn't have wanted to be seriously ill on that ship and put my health in his hands!:eek:

On our Asia cruise on Millennium last month, my husband developed a sinus infection. Having had these infections in the past, he knew what it was and what he needed. We waited 2 hours while 5 other patients came and went. When we asked, we were told that they were just taken back to have their blood pressure taken but none of them came back out to wait to see the doctor. None of them had anything that required immediate care, as far as we could tell. We never could tell what the priority was but it wasn't us. Whatever the other patients had, we were exposed to. Then we got the bill for $272. All in all, not a good experience.

Last month while on Reflection, we have the lovely opportunity to dine with the ship's Dr. one evening. He went into detail regarding the services any of the Celebrity ships could provide, if an emergency or illness occured while onboard. We found him delightful, and I wouldn't hesitate seeing him if I wasn't on a ship. He is usually onboard a ship 4-5 months at a time, and then at home in Ireland, for the rest of the year with his family.

I was recently treated by two different physicians for two different events :(

while on the Solstice. I was very happy with the quality of care provided. I also felt the cost, which will be covered by our private medical insurance, was fair. I had never had the "opportunity" to visit the medical center on our previous six =X= cruises, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the service in the future.

Betsy

Very interesting that others have incurred charges for seeing the doctor onboard as my father did not have to pay for his consultation and subsequent treatment. When he fell in his cabin it was late - about 1:00 a.m. Just prior to his fall, we were walking back to our cabins and we were staggering down the corridor from the rough water (I hadn't even had anything to drink!).

While the ship was rocking, Dad tripped over the step up to the bathroom as he tried to enter. We told all this to the medical area. I wondered if Dad wasn't charged because Celebrity thought we might see some potential liability on their part for his fall. Dad isn't the type to go looking to blame people, he felt responsible for it himself. In any event, it was nice that he wasn't charged for the consultation or subsequent treatment that he received.

I'm really glad for you that everything turned out well. Glad to hear you've recovered but it's lousy that it happened to you during a vacation.

I wish I could say the same about the physician we had on our cruise last month. We were on the Eclipse's last southern Caribbean sailing of the season and my father was with us. He's 80, and he took a bad fall while onboard. I went with him to the medical dept. and the doctor came out and spoke to me after examining Dad. I was looking at this guy wondering if he really even had a license to practice medicine. I saw a show on TV last year about the suspect quality of physicians on cruise ships. When I saw the doctor on Eclipse, I couldn't help but feel that I wouldn't have wanted to be seriously ill on that ship and put my health in his hands!:eek:

Just off the Eclipse and the doctor is female as is her junior I wonder if they replaced the guy you mentioned?

Archived