Tipping related to Holland America Cruises

You are both lucky to be able to celebrate both your birthdays on the same cruise.

Yes, it is the first time we have done this......we thought it would be a special way to celebrate!

I could not remember hearing/seeing any birthday celebrations when we took HAL to Alaska, so I didn't know what they did, if anything. I'm not too concerned with the singing part, but getting a special dessert/cake is always a nice gesture by a restaurant. Thanks for the info!

On our Zaandam cruise this past April I did not see or hear any Birthday or Anniversary celebrating in the MDR. There was no singing or special cake, just business as usual. Service was excellent but the staff was so busy that I doubt that they would have the time to gather and sing like they used to. Perhaps this is another cost cutting measure to assign more tables to waiters and cut back on the number needed, but some of the extras had to go.

On our Zaandam cruise this past April I did not see or hear any Birthday or Anniversary celebrating in the MDR. There was no singing or special cake, just business as usual. Service was excellent but the staff was so busy that I doubt that they would have the time to gather and sing like they used to. Perhaps this is another cost cutting measure to assign more tables to waiters and cut back on the number needed, but some of the extras had to go.

On our Westerdam cruise in March/April we did hear the staff sing Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary and cakes were delivered to those tables.

The baggage handlers in Seattle are members of the ILWU, the longshoremen's union. They are paid by the port authority. They make over $50 per hour with benefits. They are not some minimum wage lumpers. Give them a tip? Not on your life.
Not sure where you are getting your information but my husband has been a longshoreman on the east cost for over 38 years and he makes no where near $50 an hour. Baggage handlering is just one part of their many jobs, and the lowest paying. Job rate is graded on the type of job it is. Then take into consideration that the union takes a great part of that for 'union dues'. I don't think giving them a few dollars for hefting your heavy bags and maybe injuring themselves because you need to pack so much is too much to ask. You tip waiters, they are not cooking your food, just taking an order and bringing to you, and don't say they get minimum wage, most of them, if they do their job properly get mighty good tips. Sounds to me like you resent their wage which you really know nothing about.

Not sure where you are getting your information but my husband has been a longshoreman on the east cost for over 38 years and he makes no where near $50 an hour. Baggage handlering is just one part of their many jobs, and the lowest paying. Job rate is graded on the type of job it is. Then take into consideration that the union takes a great part of that for 'union dues'. I don't think giving them a few dollars for hefting your heavy bags and maybe injuring themselves because you need to pack so much is too much to ask. You tip waiters, they are not cooking your food, just taking an order and bringing to you, and don't say they get minimum wage, most of them, if they do their job properly get mighty good tips. Sounds to me like you resent their wage which you really know nothing about.

Isn't your Husband a member of the ILA which is part of the AFL?

I believe that the ILWU is no longer part of the ILA..It is an independant union & part of the CIA..

On reading the info it looks to me like the ILWU is only on the West Coast of the USA which includes Calif, Washington, Oregon, Alaska & Hawaii only..

According to their WEB site broke away from the ILA many years ago & think it's very possible they make more on the west coast..

Here is the WEB site for the ILWU: http://www.ilwu.org/?page_id=179

This is the ILA's WEB site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Longshoremen's_Association

The ILA is only on the East coast of the U.S. & Canada, the Gulf Coast, Puerto Rico, Great Lakes & Inland waterways & is affiliated with the AFL-CIO..

Perhaps the poster you quoted is correct..:)

In any event we will continue to tip them as 9 times out of 10 our bags are very very heavy :eek::eek:since we rarely fly to the port..:eek:

Betty

I don't care if the longshoremen make 100. a hour I am going to tip them. I also am going to speak to this and wish them a good bay alsong with tip. I want my bags in my cabin not someplace else.
Intimidation and blackmail work, then!

Kirk, how do you handle tipping the specialty restaurant servers? I have never eaten there, but I have two reservations on our upcoming cruise in November, one in Pinnacle and one in Tamarind. Do you leave a special gratuity at the end of the meal with the server, or do you handle it some other way? I want to know the right way to do it. Approx. how much do you tip these servers? Thanks.

I give the Pinnacle waiter $20 at each dinner. I figure $45 is really a great deal based on the level of service and the food.

Archived