Changed my mind (want to move from a OV to a french door inside)

Velvetwater

Just managed to contact them and unfortunately I cant downgrade at all, not even if it stays at the same price (not sure if I can pay a penalty fee and downgrade who knows). I asked if this would be possible as the sail date gets closer but she said it probably wouldn't be the case.

The reason is because my final pay date was 2 weeks ago and as I am paid up certain changes cannot be made.

Really bummed about it tbh :( and IMO as a company if a customer wanted to swap their limo for a fiesta for the same price I would let them but :(

I see where you called back and a supervisor said yes you could. Here in the US unless you booked early saver, you should be able to downgrade.

Keep trying. I hope you get the cabin you want. Tell them to look up the rules for the fare you booked. I dont buy the no changing rule they just fed you. Sometimes you get a lazy rep who doesnt want to do it.

Hey

We booked our 12 day cruise on the Legend back in April when prices were super cheap 'sale of the year'. I needed to have sunlight so we booked a OV cabin at the time balconies were £350 more expensive which was crazy

While on here a lot of people have been talking about these French door cabins between lifeboats and they look amazing and a better deal than our room. I checked online and our ship has 3 of these cabins left. I am also concerned as I have been reading the threads about OV cabins being way too warm.

We paid in full a while ago as we sail in 2 months and and interior french door cabin is £60 cheaper than our original choice.

Can you downgrade and get the remiander in OBC or is that a no no?

A friend of mine also suggested to wait as our ship is only 60% full as they might upgrade me to a balcony anyway.

Anyone had any experience of this? If I had realised about these magical french door cabins I would have booked them earlier....ah well. :)

My Early Saver Experience. Hope this helps.

I know you are in the UK and I am in thestates but here goes.

Had extended balcony on the Liberty for October. Have never had one on Carnival. The longer I thought about it the more I thought it was silly to have. I have always had inside cabins and been extremely happy. (4E on the Liberty are what I call an inside inside cabin. They are awesome. Also had an inside spa cabin on the Splendor.)

One night about a month ago I called Carnival and ask for I could Downgrade from the extended balcony to a 4E? Large price difference. The gal on the phone said she was not sure but she said lets do the booking and see what happens. Well she was able to downgrade us to the 4E inside inside cabin, transfer the deposit we had put down 100% plus get us a $50 OBC. This was during theMothers Day Sale by the way.

So yes downgrades can happen before final payment when booking Early Saver.

Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone.

Just checked my manage my cruise and my emails and its all official...I got the cabin I wanted. Very happy with the second person I talked to, especially as I rang up to try and change by paying an admin fee and he went above and beyond. If all Carnival staff are like this I am in for a good holiday!

If I am ever on a spirit class ship again I will be wiser. :)

Btw Firefly if you booked with Thompson TAs they are amazing and often do their best to help people out.

Edited by Velvetwater

Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone.

Just checked my manage my cruise and my emails and its all official...I got the cabin I wanted. Very happy with the second person I talked to, especially as I rang up to try and change by paying an admin fee and he went above and beyond. If all Carnival staff are like this I am in for a good holiday!

If I am ever on a spirit class ship again I will be wiser. :)

Btw Firefly if you booked with XXXXX TAs they are amazing and often do their best to help people out.

Be carefull we cant talk about our TAs. Mine is not that one. Mine used to be more amazing that lately lol. Im trying to get them to apply FCCs toward upgrading and now they say they have to wait until our whole group is checked in to apply them to upgrading. Im asking for a 4K lol (surprise surprise :D)

Im on Miracle with groups in August and Sept. (same class you are on). They say patience is a virtue.. I must be very virtuous.

Ah, I am on the cruise after you (August 8th). How full is your ship btw? Ours is only 60% full.

I tried to ring Carnival but I am not sure whether because its the weekend/I am calling from the UK I couldnt get through.

I am kind of all for downgrading now with or without OBC. Just got to make sure I pick the right number cabin. :)

Oops just found you answer after reposting the question. I believe we are not yet full either, but I don't know how to check.

We have 4 cabins booked with the French door, "falconies" (fake balconies), for this trip. They sound wonderful in comparison to the inside cabin we generally get. We spend very little time in our rooms, so we never upgrade unless it is an incredible deal.

Sorry you won't be sailing with us, but we'll keep the ship in good shape for you:)

Oops just found you answer after reposting the question. I believe we are not yet full either, but I don't know how to check.

We have 4 cabins booked with the French door, "falconies" (fake balconies), for this trip. They sound wonderful in comparison to the inside cabin we generally get. We spend very little time in our rooms, so we never upgrade unless it is an incredible deal.

Sorry you won't be sailing with us, but we'll keep the ship in good shape for you:)

I'll be calling it a falcony form now on :)

I also just realised I am 3 decks higher than my original ocean view..hurrah!

Hubby keeps pointing out we have less chance of drowning lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I am also wondering what floor. We will be on floor 4 on the Valor. I think we will have the side of lifeboat. This might be floor 5.

Valor does NOT have french door cabins. Only the spirit class ship has those.

Valor does have the scenic oceanview cabin

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/513/Valor_Feb11_002.jpg

Lifeboats are on both sides of the ship. (but they are also recessed under deck 4. On the valor they do not obstruct the cabins

Edited by serene56

These cabins are well worth it!! If you book early too, you can benefit even more. On my last cruise on the Legend I booked I think it was in July for a cruise in November and got the room for the same price as an inside, both our cabins were between the life boats too. Not bad for an inside room price as the pictures in other reply's show, its a pretty good fake balcony cabin. I've seem the term used on here and used it myself, "Falcony's". If I were to cruise the Legend or Spirit class ship again, I would most certainly book this type of a room a second time.

Have a great cruise!

Ah, I am on the cruise after you (August 8th). How full is your ship btw? Ours is only 60% full.

I tried to ring Carnival but I am not sure whether because its the weekend/I am calling from the UK I couldnt get through.

I am kind of all for downgrading now with or without OBC. Just got to make sure I pick the right number cabin. :)

i dont see any availabilty for Legend for August 8th. looking at an open set of deck plan when you talk with an agent. you want a cabin between life boats. example 4195 and 4197 sit between lifeboats. also note that 4202 thru 4207 have windows NOT french doors

• 1 month later...
Update - loved the falcony. We used ba bungie cord to keep door open at night. Couldn't see much, but still wonderful. We'd book it again in a flash!

So glad you enjoyed it! We will be in a "falcony" in 2 weeks. Best deal out there. :D

• 5 months later...
Yes, look at the pictures. The doors have handles ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-aSmBo7XzpQPUKtsE3ykQuUK5FP-A89qHkGgTOQCZiCJzmdVnVw

IMG_1955.jpg

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know ship & cabin number!

What ship is this picture? It looks like you are above the life boats!

I was just doing a search on 4k cabins..... when I came across this thread, and saw this picture of myself. :confused: I'm not sure why it was posted here - I definitely did not post it. Really weird. But to answer the other questions regarding it: This is not a 4k cabin. It's a balcony room on Carnival Legend - room number 5172. HTH.

I too wonder why they are priced what they are.

I have been debating taking the Miracle to Hawaii in January and discovered these rooms.

I keep thinking there is a catch. Seems so much better than a OV.. You can open the doors and hear and smell the sea. Granted the view isn't much but still seems better to me.

Are there any downsides? For the life of me this seems like the cabins I want on the trip.

I too wonder why they are priced what they are.

I have been debating taking the Miracle to Hawaii in January and discovered these rooms.

I keep thinking there is a catch. Seems so much better than a OV.. You can open the doors and hear and smell the sea. Granted the view isn't much but still seems better to me.

Are there any downsides? For the life of me this seems like the cabins I want on the trip.

the downside is some of these cabins are completly obstructed-- ok most of the cabins are completly obstructed. you need to get a cabin that is located between lifeboats for a better view.. And you can not go outside of the doors.

We have booked these cabins two of three cruises on the Pride (also spirit class). We LOVE them. IMO the only downside to these rooms is you have to leave them at the end if the week. It's simple enough to slide the bottom corner if the bed over a bit, push the door past and push the bed back in the way to hold the door. Yes, you have to look at the lifeboats but you also don't have the loud talkers, smokers and so forth of a balcony. So personally, I'd rather see a lifeboat than not enjoy an open door from a discourteous neighbor.

Have a great cruise!