High Water Levels: Avalon Announcement

Avalon Waterways

Avalon - We are monitoring the situation and we are very proud of how your company is handling this extraordinary situation. Our hearts and thoughts go out to the local people and the towns and cities that are impacted by these historic floods. We are hoping for the best and looking forward to our July 17th Danube cruise on the Tranquility.

Our thoughts are with all those whose homes and lives have been affected.

We are booked on a future Avalon cruise that will not be affected by the current flooding but are very interested in how Avalon handles this. I think that Avalon has stepped up and is doing an excellent job in working with their cruisers.

Thanks Avalon, you are truly first class.

Like you we are travelling later in August but are admiring the efforts of Avalon in the current situation. Makes me feel confident we made the right choice.

But most of all as a person who has been affected by a mass flood I feel for those living in through this situation, it does get better..

We are (were) on one of the affected cruises - the June 10th departure of Austrian Highlights & Bavaria (WVP 30610) aboard the Avalon Affinity.

Disappointed? Sure. Furious? Not even close. What we really feel is sympathy for those who live along the Danube, who are flooded and displaced from their homes. According to an article I read this morning, the water level in Passau has already exceeded the 100-year mark (1954 flood) and may pass the 500-year (1501 flood) mark; this is a huge flood. It is certainly not Avalon's fault that they can't run our itinerary; safety comes first.

We're furiously planning alternative activities for our 2 weeks in Germany. We will still go, and we'll have a great time. We plan to see what we can of Nuremburg and Munich. We now will have time to spend extra days in Vienna, we will be able to see Salzburg (which we weren't going to have time for originally), and we'll get to spend time in the Alps. We could sit around moping about it, but we'd rather make lemonade (as previously stated).

Best of luck to all others similarly affected.

What a great attitude, I hope you have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will :) enjoy

We are very disappointed in the way Viking is Handling information On the flooding in Eur:mad:ope. Our trip (Budapest to Nuremburg) starts on June 9th.

Maybe you didn't read Viking's announcement posted last night. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1856202 You start out on a different ship than planned but change eventually to your ship.

We started our Romantic Danube cruise Sat, May 31 with Viking. Boat Left Budapest Sat evening (instead of late Sun) as waters were rising. Tour of Budapest was on Sunday. We were bused from an hour and a half out on Sunday morning while ship kept going. (Bus ride total of over 4 hours, not counting our tour). Docked later Sunday in only place possible, in Bratislava in industrial yard with trains, construction boats, etc. We are still here, doing any tours that are still possible by long bus rides.

Our frustration is twofold: why weren't we told that our river trip might turn into a bus trip and then given the option to do whatever at the very start, as our boat started moving very soon after we boarded, so Viking knew there was a problem, and 2) our great staff can't answer our questions because Viking has not let the staff (very hardworking and have been great) know what we can expect the next few days, so we can make plans. We understand the boat can't leave due to the high waters. We have been told maybe we will switch boats with another group. Meanwhile, the tours are just not what anyone would knowingly sign up for--10 minutes of free time in Vienna, after much riding in a bus with good tour guide, but because of the traffic you couldn't see half the sites. Also, we have been waiting for a particular beer fromAustria (bar has glasses ready to fill), but when we ask when we get to taste, we are told when boat gets to Austria! Same with certain foods.

I recognize many are going through great pains with the flooding, and we are safe. I just woul like Viking to acknowledge those of us on the trip, and tells us what to expect. Transparency, not sugar coated.

Hoping to hear from Viking.

Below is an UPDATE.

Due to unprecedented high water levels and subsequent flooding in Europe, we have decided it is necessary to cancel additional upcoming cruises. Specifically we are sorry to report the cancellation of:

• The June 7th departure of Blue Danube Discovery (WBN 30607) aboard the Avalon Luminary
  • The June 7th departure of Jewels of Central Europe (WBR 30607) aboard the Avalon Luminary
  • The June 10th departure of Austrian Highlights & Bavaria (WVP 30610) aboard the Avalon Affinity

NEW CRUISE CANCELLATIONS:

• The June 8th departure of Magnificent Europe (WBA 30608) aboard the Avalon Tranquility
  • The June 9th departure of Magnificent Europe (WBA 30608) aboard the Avalon Vista

We are well into the process of contacting all guests scheduled to depart for these cruises (and the travel agents who booked them) to offer a refund, which includes:

1. Providing a full refund on the cruise.
  2. Providing all travelers who booked air with Avalon a full refund on air (including covering change fees).
  3. Covering change fees for air for any passengers who did not book air with us.

We are also offering travelers a $500 credit on a future Avalon cruise.

If you are one of the passengers affected by these cancellations, we ask that you call us at 800.372.1761 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com. 

For any other travelers worried about the status of your upcoming vacation, we do not anticipate having to cancel more cruises. We will, however, provide updates here, if further cancellations are needed.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Dear nowinebeforeitstime,

Please contact us to discuss the details of your booking and our current plan for your particular departure. Our Customer Relations team can be reached at 1.877.523.0579, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific. Or you can email us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

As fellow Cruise Critic member bobandjo mentioned, we are also providing information about affected sailings here on Cruise Critic (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1856202) and on our website (http://www.vrc.com/weatherupdate)

We hope to hear from you soon.

Kindly,

Viking Cruises

We are very disappointed in the way Viking is Handling information On the flooding in Eur:mad:ope. Our trip (Budapest to Nuremburg) starts on June 9th.

We just returned from a Rhine River cruise on Sunday, June 2, from Basel to Amsterdam. I think we were travelling just ahead of the crest, luckily for us. We could see how fast the rivers were rising, at the shoreline may trees were underwater to way up their trunks at that point. You could easily see how quickly the water was rising.

I don't think there is any way the tour companies can give any more warning than they did, that's how quickly it happened. We were in Cologne on Friday, and during the tour, were shown the newer flood control measures, which I'm sure they had to put into place in the following 2 days. Their river level warning at that point was high, but not in the flood range yet.

From our understanding, other tours were getting docked along the way, and the ones doing the opposite route of us would definitely be docked, as they still had the majority of bridges and locks still ahead of them.

I too, feel for the occupants along the rivers. As we all can see while on the tour, many homes and buildings are built very near to the water line, and will be devastatingly affected.

I know it would be heartbreaking to lose your cruise, I have great sympathy for those, and even more sympathy for those whose homes and lives will be forever affected.

Due to unprecedented high water levels and subsequent flooding in Europe, we have decided it is necessary to cancel additional upcoming cruises. Specifically we are sorry to report the cancellation of:

• The June 7th departure of Blue Danube Discovery (WBN 30607) aboard the Avalon Luminary
  • The June 7th departure of Jewels of Central Europe (WBR 30607) aboard the Avalon Luminary
  • The June 10th departure of Austrian Highlights & Bavaria (WVP 30610) aboard the Avalon Affinity

We are well into the process of contacting all guests scheduled to depart for these cruises (and the travel agents who booked them) to offer a refund, which includes:

1) Providing a full refund on the cruise.

2) Providing all travelers who booked air with Avalon a full refund on air (including covering change fees).

3) Covering change fees for air for any passengers who did not book air with us.

If you are one of the passengers affected by these cancellations, we ask that you call us at 800.372.1761 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com. 

For any other travelers worried about the status of your upcoming vacation, we do not anticipate having to cancel more cruises. We will, however, provide updates here, if further cancellations are needed.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Great communication with guest on your part. This is what makes you a top notch cruise line!

Due to unprecedented high water levels and subsequent flooding in Europe, we have decided it is necessary to cancel additional upcoming cruises. We have already reported the cancellation of:

• The June 8th departure of Magnificent Europe (WBA 30608) aboard the Avalon Tranquility
  • The June 9th departure of Magnificent Europe (WBA 30608) aboard the Avalon Vista

In addition, below are NEW CRUISE CANCELLATIONS:

• The June 6th departure of Grand Danube (WONE 30606) aboard the Avalon Imagery
  • The June 8th departure of Grand Danube (WON 30606) aboard the Avalon Imagery
  • The June 13th departure of Blue Danube Discovery (WBN 30613) aboard the Avalon Imagery

(For both of the Grand Danube [WON and WONE] cruise cancellations listed above, we are providing travelers already in Europe the opportunity to change cruise itineraries, with compensation, to make the most of their time abroad.)

1. Providing a full refund on the cruise.
  2. Providing all travelers who booked air with Avalon a full refund on air (including covering change fees).
  3. Covering change fees for air for any passengers who did not book air with us.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Thank you Avalon!!! At last a company who gets it... This entire region is in the middle of a disaster! Flooding and destruction still exists down the very waterways the River Cruise companies sail. Your passengers have paid for and expect a lovely RiverCruise. The flooded areas need to recover, clean up and prepare for tourists, that is going to take a couple weeks or more.

Thank you Avalon for being realistic about the chances of successful cruising on the days ahead.

At last someone gets it!

Seems to be just/mostly Danube sailings that are being affected as that's where all the damage is. I haven't seen any mention of very high waters on the Rhine. I mentioned on Avalon's Facebook page this morning that as we catch the Vista Jun 23 for the Amsterdam - Budapest and even though we wouldn't hit the Danube until Jun 30 or July 1 I really don't want to spend the last half of our trip on buses and in hotels because they can't negotiate that section. Maybe they could look at changing the cruise to the Rhine & Moselle - Warz. Almost same time, same $ and they could give travellers a couple days extra in Zurich. I just want my two weeks on the ship, doesn't matter where as long as it's in Europe. Maybe the newer suite ships are too long to navigate that portion, don't know. Or just cancel outright before we leave. I'm sure Avalon will do what's right.

Seems to be just/mostly Danube sailings that are being affected as that's where all the damage is. I haven't seen any mention of very high waters on the Rhine. I mentioned on Avalon's Facebook page this morning that as we catch the Vista Jun 23 for the Amsterdam - Budapest and even though we wouldn't hit the Danube until Jun 30 or July 1 I really don't want to spend the last half of our trip on buses and in hotels because they can't negotiate that section. Maybe they could look at changing the cruise to the Rhine & Moselle - Warz. Almost same time, same $ and they could give travellers a couple days extra in Zurich. I just want my two weeks on the ship, doesn't matter where as long as it's in Europe. Maybe the newer suite ships are too long to navigate that portion, don't know. Or just cancel outright before we leave. I'm sure Avalon will do what's right.

Hi bobandjo- You'll see this information on our Facebook page too, so we apologize if it feels redundant. Currently, in addition to ensuring the safety of our travelers, while also closely following the ebb and flow (quite literally) of Europe’s waterways, we are in the midst of gathering information about the ports and sites we visit. For all cruises operating in Europe in the coming weeks, we will have a Plan B (C or D) in place to provide our travelers rich experiences, however, given the fluidity of this situation, plans may change daily (or at present, hourly). If it would help, we encourage you to call your travel agent or our team to discuss your concerns. You can reach us directly at 800.372.1761 or traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com.

Best wishes!

ATTENTION FUTURE CRUISERS:

If you are traveling with Avalon Waterways in the near future and have questions or concerns about your upcoming vacation, given the recent flooding in Europe, we invite you to contact your travel agent or call us directly at 866.397.6593 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com. We would be happy to address your concerns and/or answer any questions you may have.

(This weekend, our phone lines will be open from 7 AM to 3:30 PM MT, Saturday and Sunday.)

If you booked your cruise outside the U.S., we invite you to visit our “International Visitors” tab on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/AvalonWaterways) for regional contact information.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Avalon Update (6.10.13):

If you are traveling with Avalon Waterways in the near future and have questions or concerns about your upcoming vacation, given the recent flooding in Europe, we invite you to contact your travel agent or call us directly at 866.397.6593 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com (our U.S. office hours are Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 6 PM MT and Saturday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM MT). We would be happy to address your individual concerns and/or answer any questions you may have, one-on-one.

In addition to canceling several departures last week (specifically, WNB 0602, WON 0606, WONE 0606, WBA 0606, WBN 0607, WBR 0607, WVP 0610 and WBN 0613) it is worth noting that we have proactively reached out to cruisers on a few upcoming itineraries to discuss possible modifications, including a potential ship swap. Those potentially affected itineraries include WBN 0610, WPZ 0612 and WAB 0612.

We also would like to extend a big, “thank you” to all of our guests and travel agent partners for reaching out to us and sharing both patience and understanding during this unprecedented situation. It is appreciated. And to our friends and partners in Europe who have been most affected by these floods, our thoughts and prayers remain with you.

If you booked your cruise outside the U.S. and have questions, we invite you to visit our “International Visitors” tab on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/AvalonWaterways) for regional contact information.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Avalon Update (6.12.13):

As a result of the unprecedented floods in Europe, we have confirmed that the Avalon Tranquility and Avalon Imagery – two ships located along the lower Danube – will not make it to their ports in time for upcoming cruises.

As a result, we are CANCELLING the following cruises:

• WAV 0622
  • WAO and WAO/E 0622

We are in the process of contacting all guests scheduled to depart for these cruises (and the travel agents who booked them) to offer a full refund, plus $500 credit on a future cruise.

And, for reference, we announced the following cancellations last week: WNB 0602, WONE 0606, WON 0608, WBA 0608, WBA 609, WBN 0607, WBR 0607, WVP 0610 and WBN 0613. Further, it is worth noting that we have proactively reached out to cruisers on a few upcoming itineraries to discuss possible modifications, including potential ship swaps. Those potentially affected itineraries now include WBN 0610, WAB 0612, WPZ 0612, WNB 0619, WNO/E 0619 and WBO/E 0627.

If you are traveling with Avalon Waterways in the near future and have questions or concerns about your upcoming vacation, given the recent flooding in Europe, we invite you to contact your travel agent or call us directly at 866.397.6593 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com (our U.S. office hours are Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 6 PM MT and Saturday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM MT). We would be happy to address your individual concerns and/or answer any questions you may have, one-on-one.

If you booked your cruise outside the U.S. and have questions, we invite you to visit our “International Visitors” tab on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/AvalonWaterways for regional contact information.

We also would like to extend a big, “thank you” to all of our guests and travel agent partners for reaching out to us and sharing both patience and understanding during this unprecedented situation. It is appreciated. And to our friends and partners in Europe who have been most affected by these floods, our thoughts and prayers remain with you.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

The below update should be seen as a CORRECTION to the previously posted update. Our apologies for any/all confusion.

Avalon Update (6.12.13): REVISION

As a result of the unprecedented floods in Europe, we regret to advise that the Avalon Tranquility will not make it to Amsterdam in time for embarkation of her next cruise.

As a result, we are CANCELLING the following cruises:

• WAV 0622
  • WAO and WAOE 0622

We are in the process of contacting all guests scheduled to depart for these cruises (and the travel agents who booked them) to offer a full refund, plus $500 credit on a future cruise. In addition, it’s important to point out that the second portion of cruise WAO/E 0622, from Vienna to Bucharest/Istanbul (WVO/E 0702), will operate.

And, for reference, we announced the following cancellations last week: WNB 0602, WONE 0606, WON 0608, WBA 0608, WBA 609, WBN 0607, WBR 0607, WVP 0610 and WBN 0613. Further, it is worth noting that we have proactively reached out to cruisers on a few upcoming itineraries to discuss possible modifications, including potential ship swaps. Those potentially affected itineraries now include WBN 0610, WAB 0612, WPZ 0612, WNB 0616, WBN 0617, WNB 0619, WNO/E 0619 and WBO/E 0627.

If you booked your cruise outside the U.S. and have questions, we invite you to visit our “International Visitors” tab on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/AvalonWaterways for regional contact information.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

• 2 weeks later...

Europe Flooding Update - June 22, 2013:

To our travelers and travel agent partners,

Once again, we would like to thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation regarding the itinerary changes caused by the recent flooding along Europe’s rivers.

As many of you are aware, conditions have improved considerably and we are very much looking forward to being back to normal operation in the very near future.

In the meantime, as has been reported, the Altenwörth Lock in Austria was damaged during the floods. The Austrian Ministry of Transportation has told us this lock will remain closed through June 28, 2013. After its reopen, we do not anticipate any further modifications to itineraries. In fact, at this moment, our Avalon Operations team believes wholeheartedly that the following upcoming cruises will operate normally:

• The Legendary Danube, Prague to Budapest (WNB 0623) – Aboard the Avalon Expression
  • Magnificent Europe, Amsterdam to Budapest (WAB 0626) – Aboard the Avalon Panorama
  • The Blue Danube Discovery, Budapest to Prague (WBN 0624) – Aboard the Avalon Visionary
  • Blue Danube to the Black Sea, Vienna to Budapest (WVO/WVOE 0702) – Aboard the Avalon Tranquility
  • Balkan Discovery, Bucharest to Budapest (WOB 0713 and WOBE 0711) – Aboard the Avalon Tranquility
  • Grand Danube Cruise, Bucharest to Prague (WON 0713 and WONE 0711) – Aboard the Avalon Tranquility

If we receive an official word of a change in status to the Altenwörth Lock, we will provide updated information and insight.

Cruises along only the Rhine, Rhône, Saône and Seine Rivers are unaffected by this lock.

If you continue to have questions or concerns, they can be discussed one-on-one. We invite you to contact your travel agent or call us directly at 866.397.6593 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com (our U.S. office hours are Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 6 PM MT and Saturday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM MT).

(If you booked your cruise outside the U.S. and have questions, we invite you to visit our “International Visitors” tab on Facebook at http://www.Facebook.com/AvalonWaterways for regional contact information.)

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Europe Flooding Update - June 22, 2013:

Once again, we would like to thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation regarding the itinerary changes caused by the recent flooding along Europe’s rivers.

As many of you are aware, conditions have improved considerably and we are very much looking forward to being back to normal operation in the very near future.

In the meantime, as has been reported, the Altenwörth Lock in Austria was damaged during the floods. The Austrian Ministry of Transportation has told us this lock will remain closed through June 28, 2013. After its reopen, we do not anticipate any further modifications to itineraries. In fact, at this moment, our Avalon Operations team believes wholeheartedly that the following upcoming cruises will operate normally:

• The Legendary Danube, Prague to Budapest (WNB 0623) – Aboard the Avalon Expression
  • Magnificent Europe, Amsterdam to Budapest (WAB 0626) – Aboard the Avalon Panorama
  • The Blue Danube Discovery, Budapest to Prague (WBN 0624) – Aboard the Avalon Visionary
  • Blue Danube to the Black Sea, Vienna to Budapest (WVO/WVOE 0702) – Aboard the Avalon Tranquility
  • Balkan Discovery, Bucharest to Budapest (WOB 0713 and WOBE 0711) – Aboard the Avalon Tranquility
  • Grand Danube Cruise, Bucharest to Prague (WON 0713 and WONE 0711) – Aboard the Avalon Tranquility

If we receive an official word of a change in status to the Altenwörth Lock, we will provide updated information and insight.

Cruises along only the Rhine, Rhône, Saône and Seine Rivers are unaffected by this lock.

If you continue to have questions or concerns, they can be discussed one-on-one. We invite you to contact your travel agent or call us directly at 866.397.6593 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com (our U.S. office hours are Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 6 PM MT and Saturday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM MT).

(If you booked your cruise outside the U.S. and have questions, we invite you to visit our “International Visitors” tab on Facebook at http://www.Facebook.com/AvalonWaterways for regional contact information.)

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Please note there was a typo in the above update. The typo is in reference to the Magnificent Europe itinerary. It should read WBA vs. WAB. Thank you.

Final Europe Flooding Update - June 27, 2013:

Great news! Our European Operations team has advised us that the Altenwörth Lock in Austria will be back in working order by the weekend. This means our future European cruise itineraries will operate normally (and will NOT require ship swaps).

Once again, we would like to thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation throughout this unprecedented flooding situation.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Archived