Trip Review - Viking Paris to Normandy (LONG)

melodyesch

Yes that does help, thanks! I can do a few steps, 8 wouldn't be a problem especially with a hand rail. I'm just slow and I hate holding people up behind me both going up and down steps. I jokingly say I do stairs like a 2 year old, one at a time :o. I would probably look into custom made brace before such a trip. I'll keep these tips in my file.

• 4 months later...

My husband & I will be on the Viking Spirit for the Paris & Heart of Normandy. We will be arriving at the Spirit around 10:30 to 11 AM from New York. I called Viking to ask about lunch. They said they provide a buffet from 11:30 to 3 PM. We would like to reserve a tour of the Eiffel Tour. Do you think 2:00 would be a good time to meet a tour at the Eiffel Tour? I believe we have to walk about a mile from the dock to the Tower. I am trying to take jet lag into consideration. Should we go earlier? Would appreciate any thoughts you have on this topic. Kathy & Denis

My husband & I will be on the Viking Spirit for the Paris & Heart of Normandy. We will be arriving at the Spirit around 10:30 to 11 AM from New York. I called Viking to ask about lunch. They said they provide a buffet from 11:30 to 3 PM. We would like to reserve a tour of the Eiffel Tour. Do you think 2:00 would be a good time to meet a tour at the Eiffel Tour? I believe we have to walk about a mile from the dock to the Tower. I am trying to take jet lag into consideration. Should we go earlier? Would appreciate any thoughts you have on this topic. Kathy & Denis

Hi, we took the similar tour with Avalon, which has a slightly different procedure, but since all the ships dock at the same place I'll try to help. What time does the Viking ship depart? You need to get back to the ship before it leaves that is the main issue I see. Even though the tour tickets state 2:00 there is still a wait to get through the security check point, and then another wait to go up and down the elevators. Once up, you can stay there as long as you wish. I wouldn't want to hurry down after going all that way.

We took the redeye from JFK and managed to walk to the tower from our precruise hotel which was an hour each way. We saw lots! Somehow you manage, just from the joy of being in Paris. Also, you won't be able to catch a cab from where the ship docks unless you have the ship call one for you, but you can catch the RER commuter train to the Eiffel Tower. You can also catch a cab back to the ship from a cab stand near the tower. The path to the tower from the ship passes the Statue of Liberty replica, so you will be taking lots of pictures, it won't be a fast walk. Keep that in mind too. It is a wonderful itinerary, you will love it.

The ship Spirit will be in Paris til the next day. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I think the question is will we have enough time to get back to the ship for dinner which is at 7 PM? If I take the 2 PM tour we have to be there at 1:45PM. The tour starts at 2 PM and lasts 2 hours. The ticket includes going up to the Summit but there is no express line. Most of my "reads" state that this will take a half hour. The tour guide leaves you after the 2nd floor. So you have a 1/2 hour wait and I would imagine 1 hour for the summit. I think we will be able to make dinner especially with taking a taxi back to the ship? What do you think? Maybe we should make it for 1PM. Kathy

The ship Spirit will be in Paris til the next day. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I think the question is will we have enough time to get back to the ship for dinner which is at 7 PM? If I take the 2 PM tour we have to be there at 1:45PM. The tour starts at 2 PM and lasts 2 hours. The ticket includes going up to the Summit but there is no express line. Most of my "reads" state that this will take a half hour. The tour guide leaves you after the 2nd floor. So you have a 1/2 hour wait and I would imagine 1 hour for the summit. I think we will be able to make dinner especially with taking a taxi back to the ship? What do you think? Maybe we should make it for 1PM. Kathy

I think 2 would work. Get to the tower earlier because you'll want to take lots of photos from the ground too. Even if you leave the tower at 5 that should give you plenty of time to get back. There is a path that runs along the river from ship to the tower.

Dear Melody,

Thank you for your review. I have a couple of comments:

I agree with you about Americans as far as not being as formal as the French, or for that manner, most Western Europeans. You should greet the person first, before asking anything. I had a funny experience at the Eiffel Tower. We had tickets for 9:30 PM to go to the top, and I was standing in line for what I thought was the correct line. I asked the person in front of me "neuf heurs et demie" ( 9:30) in French. He turned around and literally barked at me "English". He was an American from the Midwest!

By the way , in the Louvre, if needed, you can borrow a wheelchair by giving the your driver's license. They will kindly open up some special doors for you to get the elevator.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for your very detailed review. We are taking the same cruise in March on the Neptune. My dad and my husband are really looking forward to Normandy...is sufficient time given there or should we look into an additional excursion option? I think they would want to do the American one only. I understand that these excursions are typically a "taste" of what is there, but we don't want to miss anything. We are so excited, I can't wait to show them your review...it will answer a lot of questions and concerns.

• 9 months later...