Do you use a TA?

While we could book it directly ourselves, we use a TA that is primarily run by 2 siblings.

There has only been one time where we chose to make a change to our cabin (upgrade to a suite) so having full control for us isn't that big of a deal. Her response time is wonderful, there is no cancellation or change fee, and we get added perks.

She was also a a huge help when we had an unexpected family problem happen very close to our cruise date.

We've used same TA for years. Price is the same as booking direct with RC but RC didn't give us $300 obc, travel insurance, dinner for 2 in Portofino or spa service for two. Nice to get at no cost to us.

Desert Cruizers -

No need to defend your travel agent to me. I'm not the one losing $$$ in OBC. :) However, there are a lot of travel agencies out there that give very good service and OBC.

I have used an online agent for years and she works almost 24/7. I once emailed her at 10pm on a Sunday evening and had a response by midnight. I have never met her and never expect to.

Sounds like you're happy with the agency you're using and the fact they don't give you any perks doesn't bother you. I can't afford that luxury and try to save money wherever I can. :)

The first cruise we took we used a TA , the second cruise I did it on my own and the third cruise we used a TA and found out she did nothing I could not have done my self. She did not give any incentives to use her again all she did was call RC and book which I could have done myself as I have done before so the next cruise I will book myself unless I can find a good TA

I always wondered about this myself and thus always book on my own. I have to have control like that and have heard not too many good things about TA's in the past. How do you save? Don't you have to pay a TA for their service or is it commissioned based?

I did try using one at the recommendation of some fellow cruisers I met on the Oasis but their TA couldn't get me a better deal nor stateroom than I could. I got a MUCH better deal and location than her. So how does this all work?

On our last 4 cruises booking with our agent we have had gratuities paid for two, specialty restaurant certificate and on board credit of (100-175). We are planning on booking another cruise for this summer and I will be using them again.

LittleBud'Mom, I am not against booking thru the Cruiselines and truthfully have asked myself, since I am already doing much of the work, there is no real reason why I can't call the cruise lines up and book thru them.:). Prior to our sailing I am researching our planned trip, so don't use her for that, except for our Australia trip next March and her recently coming back from a trip there with a group, I did ask for advice. I will agree it would make things simpler in regards to payments, then I don't have to call and tell her to call the cruise lines to make a payment. A lot of extra steps involved there. Other then giving her our business, and receiving satisfactory service from her office I am doing much of the preplanning myself. I probably will work directly with the cruise lines next time.

I always wondered about this myself and thus always book on my own. I have to have control like that and have heard not too many good things about TA's in the past. How do you save? Don't you have to pay a TA for their service or is it commissioned based?

I did try using one at the recommendation of some fellow cruisers I met on the Oasis but their TA couldn't get me a better deal nor stateroom than I could. I got a MUCH better deal and location than her. So how does this all work?

You don't have to pay for their service; however, if you change or cancel a booking you may incur a fee.

As an example for saving money. Our TA is paying for our gratuities on this next cruise (which is $256 dollars), and is giving us $125 shipboard credit.

You don't have to pay for their service; however, if you change or cancel a booking you may incur a fee.

As an example for saving money. Our TA is paying for our gratuities on this next cruise (which is $256 dollars), and is giving us $125 shipboard credit.

Oh ok thanks for the reply and example. Reading here it seesm like ppl have some really great TA's that are looking out for their clients. I'm just apprehensive to give up control eventhough it would be nice for someone to do the hunting and planning for change.

Oh ok thanks for the reply and example. Reading here it seesm like ppl have some really great TA's that are looking out for their clients. I'm just apprehensive to give up control eventhough it would be nice for someone to do the hunting and planning for change.

I booked with a TA once, and only once, at the recommendation of a coworker. I had everything already planned out, so I really didn't need any help. And I got no perks. Nothing. Not even a bottle of wine. Maybe if I got all the goodies that others have posted about, I would use a TA.

• 2 weeks later...
If you use a platinum Amex to pay for your cruise you get perks as well

Ask your ta or RC

Benefits from platinum Amex....

Obc plus my ta adds more

Kids soda pkg free

Upgrades

Champagne or wine in cabin

2 spec dining

And my fav priority boarding

We are not c&a so these perks are great for us

They have tons of other perks that have nothing to do w cruises that we use as well. We use the perks and it pays for itself meant times over

You need to ask for them though. They don't just happen when you use the card

how do you ask for them? do we tell amex? the TA?

i'm about to reserve a room with a TA (assuming they make the offer that i think they will), do i tell him? do i contact amex?

how do you ask for them? do we tell amex? the TA?

i'm about to reserve a room with a TA (assuming they make the offer that i think they will), do i tell him? do i contact amex?

I think you should contact AMEX first... Get the details from the "source", not the middle man.

Archived