Do you use a TA?

I hope this question is allowed. If not, I guess it will get pulled. :eek: I'm not looking for a TA, just curious about how the business aspect works. I do not use one, but wondering as to what the pros vs cons might be. I guess my question is, if you get the same price as Royal's website, which I'm assuming you do, what is the advantage of using a TA? Or do you get a discount? Second question, maybe silly, but if the TA is not charging you more, how do they make a profit?

I use a TA for my cruises, although I could book them myself, because my TA always provides me with an on-board credit for booking thru them. And depending on the length of the cruise sometimes a nice surprise of a bottle of wine is waiting for us in our cabin when we board :)......Length of the cruise determines the amount of the OBC they provide.

The TA gets a comission from the cruiselines they book with.

Hope this helps.

We have always used one. Our problem is the TAs quit and we have to find a new one! The last one we had gave us on board credit and a bottle of wine. The one we used for our current cruise for a group booking that fell apart didn't give us any perks and doesn't know very much about Royal! I seem to know way more about the cruise line then she does! We will not be using her again. Not that she hasnt done her job but we have always been given a perk with a TA. Next time I'm going to go with who gives me the biggest bang for my buck. I may try booking with a wholesale club or maybe just with Royal.

I think the cruise line gives the TAs a fee for booking people on their ship. I know we aren't directly paying her because my price I'm paying is the same as Royals website.

We have used the same TA for 17 years. She knows our likes and dislikes. A little upgrade secret you may not be aware of, is that a cruise line will often upgrade the PAX of a TA who books a lot of cruises with them, as a reward to the TA, as it keeps their clients happy. We trust our TA with a lot of our personal information that we don`t trust to anyone else. The key is to find a great TA, and then stick with him or her.

We do not use a TA. I prefer to have total control over my reservation and to be able to call RCI directly if I have any questions or wish to make any changes. I often switch cabins, or switch cruises, or apply newly available discounts/price reductions, and I do not wish to work through a middleman to accomplish this (especially when you have to wait for the TA to be available, and then the cabin or the price may not be available).

We had two major issues on vacations (one cruise, and one land based), in which the TA said "nothing more can be done" yet I was able to resolve on my own and in the case of the land based vacation, get 4 of the 7 nights credited back to me. We've had cruises booked directly that were impacted by hurricanes, and it was no problem to work it out myself. I've negotiated better prices for myself, and better benefits. I've found that in the case of issues, I am my own best advocate, and no TA has ever done anything for me that I couldn't do better and more efficiently for myself.

The perks offered are not worth giving up ownership of my reservation, in my opinion. I can get OBC through other sources, and I do not need a bottle of wine or coupons for specialty restaurants.

This has been a non stop question on CC with everyone having good reasons why they book with or without a TA. Even though I do my homework, check out the itineraries, cabin location etc on my own, I have used our TA since 2008. I am able to email her on a Sat and get a reply, she emails me specials, whether we get a bottle of wine isn't that important to us compared to her service. Each person chooses to book their way based upon repeated good service. In my opinion, if you choose to not book with a TA then I recommend you book directly with the cruise lines vs an Intenet Travel Company, there you are working directly with the cruise lines and the service will be more personal.

I prefer to book directly with the cruise line. I enjoy making all the plans myself. I receive OBC by using the RC visa, and booking cruises while on board. Owning RCI stock helps too ( sometimes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It basically comes down to your comfort. If you can handle your own reservation and are comfortable with the deal you are getting, then by all means book directly with the cruise line. If you like the assistance and advise of a travel professional, as well as possibly get a few perks in the form of an OBC, prepaid gratuities, bottle of wine, etc, then you might consider working with a TA. For the most part with Royal Caribbean, whether you book with a TA or directly with RC, you will pay the same fare. Only time you may not is if a specific cruise agency has a group rate.

We are going on our first cruise this year. I had wondered the dame thing myself but chose to book through a TA because of the minefield of information out there. On checking our invoice we have 100$ OBC & 2 terry robes so am now guessing that that is down to her? :)

We use a local brick & mortar TA. Our first agent retired and her replacement is very good. If the agency ever closes, I would book direct with RC. As long as they are in business we will use them. I like being able to go into the office and conducting business.

As a perk we receive a bottle of wine in our stateroom. It isn't the wine but the thought that counts.

We have booked online on the RCI website for the last few cruises. It is easy and you have a lot of flexibility to change things, etc. If we had questions I would just call and talk to them. I know many on CC complain about the RCI CSR's, but I have always had great luck with them.

Two of our upcoming cruises are booked with TA's, however. One because it was a group cruise (2 authors) that had to be placed with a TA. The other because I had never booked a Celebrity cruise and quite frankly their website stunk and 2 out of 3 CSR's I spoke to were also in the "stunk" category. I finally used a very popular .com travel agency that specializes in cruises and booked it. I called them because I wanted a specific cabin, and the person I spoke to ended up being 5 miles from my home! Unbelievable. I got prepaid gratuities and $50 off the cabin. She also had me call Celebrity to join their rewards program and that got me a loyalty discount! It was a great experience.

Do what feels comfortable for you. With RCI, if you are the type that will check price-drops daily and constantly be adding dining, excursions and just plain messing, then I would book it yourself online or by phone.

Have fun!

We always book with our long time TA. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Does your long time T.A. give you any perks? I used to book with a local travel agent, no longer in business but now I book with the cruiseline and transfer to an online agency for the 10% shipboard credit I receive. Since I do all the work myself, I wouldn't book with an agent that doesn't give me anything. This way we're both happy. :)

We use a TA because she is one of my best friends from high school (a loooong time ago!) and I figure why not give the commission to her? We don't always get OBC from her but then we book a lot of cheap cruises, so that's fine. If she has a group booking on a cruise that we book we will get the group perks. She also knows a LOT about the ships because she has either sailed on that ship or toured it at some point.

She also has helped us out when we have had to change our booking after final payment and we hadn't purchased the insurance yet. She went up the chain to resolutions and we were able to make the change and just pay the difference in price (a whopping $4 pp). It's just good to know that she is there if something goes wrong. And she is reachable....checks her messages routinely during the day and gets back to us. If she is out of town she has a specific person who handles her clients in her absence.

Does your long time T.A. give you any perks? I used to book with a local travel agent' date=' no longer in business but now I book with the cruiseline and transfer to an online agency for the 10% shipboard credit I receive. Since I do all the work myself, I wouldn't book with an agent that doesn't give me anything. This way we're both happy. :)[/quote']

We never ask for any perks ... but, yes.

She says I'm one of her easiest client because I do all of the work for her ... just have her book the cruise for us and she takes care of getting our insurance at a very good rate. Actually, I feel more in control by using my TA because she takes care of any changes I want made immediately and correctly without having to give her my booking number or answer any dumb questions.

LuLu

~~~~

Guest maddycat
We like the pre-pay gratuities option and that way anything above and beyond we give is fun and was well deserved.

Maybe' date=' I'm missing something....but what does this have to do with using a travel agent? :confused:[/quote']

I'm guessing that the OP's TA gives them pre-paid gratuities as a perk for booking with them.

We book with a TA but she never gives us anything. She is someone local that worked for the same company as my DH. She retired and started her travel business. I do so much homework I have all the answers when I call her. I would love some OBC.

We book with a TA but she never gives us anything. She is someone local that worked for the same company as my DH. She retired and started her travel business. I do so much homework I have all the answers when I call her. I would love some OBC.

If it were me, I'd just ask her. Maybe she hasn't thought about giving you anything to keep you as a client. Does she have her business in her home? If, she does, she doesn't have the expense of an outside location.

Just giving you something shows she appreciates your business. IMHO. :)

Archived