Do you use a TA?

Yes- always for the reasons above. In addition, if you use a large TA that does volume business, there are times they have a group and the TA will secure a block of cabins. If not all get used, I will get added in at the group rate and that means some type of discount :) in addition to OBC

We have booked online on the RCI website for the last few cruises. It is easy and you have a lot of flexibility to change things, etc. If we had questions I would just call and talk to them. I know many on CC complain about the RCI CSR's, but I have always had great luck with them.

Two of our upcoming cruises are booked with TA's, however. One because it was a group cruise (2 authors) that had to be placed with a TA. The other because I had never booked a Celebrity cruise and quite frankly their website stunk and 2 out of 3 CSR's I spoke to were also in the "stunk" category. I finally used a very popular .com travel agency that specializes in cruises and booked it. I called them because I wanted a specific cabin, and the person I spoke to ended up being 5 miles from my home! Unbelievable. I got prepaid gratuities and $50 off the cabin. She also had me call Celebrity to join their rewards program and that got me a loyalty discount! It was a great experience.

Do what feels comfortable for you. With RCI, if you are the type that will check price-drops daily and constantly be adding dining, excursions and just plain messing, then I would book it yourself online or by phone.

Have fun!

I'm not a big supporter of TA b/c of all the horror stories I have heard that they can't be reached when there is a price drop, etc. However, I just booked a cruise yesterday using a TA b/c I knew which ship, was getting a gty room and figured they couldn't screw it up too badly. And I received a nice OBC and specialty resturant for two. And it could have been combinable with a certificate, however, I didn't have one. She seemed to work hard to find any other perks but I got more than I do when I call royal. And this was basically me calling them up, I had no history with them. I typically have next cruise certificates for royal though. I wanted to use a big agency that I can call 24/7 if I do see a price drop.

But i did want to correct something you said. After the TA books your cruise, you go into the RCI or Celebrity (my only experience) and grab your reservation. You have total control to book specialty resturants and excursions, do you documents online and print you own documents for the check in.

I guess we'll see how this all plays out.

If we did not get OBC or some other perk from a TA, I would book and stay with RCI. Many times I have booked with the cruise line directly and then give the booking to a TA.

We have a favorite one, but for our next cruise, somehow we got in on a probably group booking or something as the price for our D1 balcony is more than $400 less than what was on the RCI website. They also took our Diamond Plus discount, so if looking at what we are paying and what shows on the RCI website (granted the website doesn't show the discount initially) is almost $500.

We will also get some amount when we get back, maybe $50 or something, no big deal.

We always look for the best deal we can find and usually the one agency we use gives us a fair deal. This time it just happened to work out differently.

I know we have to follow up for price drops etc. no matter which agency we use, but our usual agency has never had a problem with getting that for us. I am hoping that if there should be a price drop (doubtful from what we paid) that there won't be a problem. We are happy with our cabin and our price paid, so I am fine when it comes time to make my final payment, I got a great deal.

Good or bad... TA's seem to becoming a thing of the past thanks to the internet! Big Box stores and online TA sites can work on smaller margins, making it even more diffcult to compete.

Back to the OP's question - I think booking direct vs. using a TA really depends on your own experience and sevice expecations. Year's ago, I used a TA, but now I either book direct or with a Big Box online site.

If you are looking for the absolute best deal, I have not been able to beat a big box or last minute direct.

I'm not sure if TAs in the UK do the same job as the ones in the US, but my personal experience as been that there is absolutely no benefit in booking with a TA in the UK.

As far as I am aware they are not allowed to give discounts on the RCI published price, and when I did have a problem previously, RCI would not deal with me directly because I had booked with a TA. They would only deal with the agent. I found that frustrating, so I now handle the booking, and any resulting queries or complaints by myself.

If the TA did offer incentives above those that the company offers directly though, I might reconsider!

I'm not sure if TAs in the UK do the same job as the ones in the US, but my personal experience as been that there is absolutely no benefit in booking with a TA in the UK.

As far as I am aware they are not allowed to give discounts on the RCI published price, and when I did have a problem previously, RCI would not deal with me directly because I had booked with a TA. They would only deal with the agent. I found that frustrating, so I now handle the booking, and any resulting queries or complaints by myself.

If the TA did offer incentives above those that the company offers directly though, I might reconsider!

They do! (Big Box - Online or by phone) In the USA

I do all of the research myself, and then book with a cyber agent. On the last cruise we booked an 11 night Med cruise, we booked a balcony that was about $1,600 pp. We got PP gratuities ($264), a $175 OBC, 2 specialty diners ($60) and a $100 spa certificate. In addition, we will have a $25 discount from the last cruise we went on and booked with them. That is $624, which is 19% of the cabin cost in freebies. We will use ALL of these goodies.

One little secret - especially as it relates to Oasis and Allure - many of these large agencies buy a block of rooms, which entitles them to group benefits like free cabins. That is part of how they are able to offer such nice goodies.

I sometimes book it myself, picking cabins, dining options, etc. And then within 45 days shop it around to TAs to see who is offering the best perks and transfer the bookings to that TA. Usually get OBC and/or pre-paid gratuities.

I still watch daily for price drops.

By Golly...I'll bet you're right :D

That is correct, my goof in not explaining that correctly :rolleyes: I love never having to worry about it and only too happy to add on as the occasion deserves ;)

Linda

I use a TA and have had good luck with her so far. She works out of her home (a franchise) and is available just as much as calling the cruise line directly. I can e-mail her late at night and on weekends, and she answers. She also gives OBC for booking through her, and offers discounts on Princess cruises (which still allows that practice).

I strayed recently, to a large online agency because they were offering a HUGE amount of freebies with the booking. The booking process was abysmal however, and customer service is a joke. My TA would have never been able to match the perks offered by the bigger company but I doubt I'll use them again. I prefer the personal service of my TA, and the easy access to her when I need something done.

Should have added to my previous post be sure a potential TA is able to take your calls quickly, is available on weekends, ask if they impose a penalty if you need to cancel before final payment, etc.

I wish to add, our local TA operates with 3 people and is extremely busy.Even though I will do most of the initial work in deciding the cruise and room, once I give the information to our TA I know I can sit back and she or an associate will take over. I spoke with an associate this past week about a room change and he notified me by email within 30 minutes that it was taken care of. Upon any payment or room change I will receive an updated statement within the week. I fully understand many people have had problems, and sadly they give the excellant TA's a bad name. Whichever works the best for you then stick with it.

I wish to add, our local TA operates with 3 people and is extremely busy.Even though I will do most of the initial work in deciding the cruise and room, once I give the information to our TA I know I can sit back and she or an associate will take over. I spoke with an associate this past week about a room change and he notified me by email within 30 minutes that it was taken care of. Upon any payment or room change I will receive an updated statement within the week. I fully understand many people have had problems, and sadly they give the excellant TA's a bad name. Whichever works the best for you then stick with it.

Unless, your travel agent is giving you sb credit, prepaid tips or travel insurance, I fail to see where she is doing anything for you that you couldn't do by just booking direct with Royal Caribbean and controlling your own booking. You made a call to your agent for a room change and waited 30 minutes for an email. If you'd called RCL yourself, it would have been done immediately. When I book directly with RCL, I have my confirmation email by the time I get off the phone.

Before Internet, if you wanted to book any type of travel, you usually had to use a travel agent. Times have changed and that's why most agents offer perks in order to keep your business and more than just a bottle of wine. On a $10,000 cruise, my travel agent will give me over $500 in shipboard credit, depending on what she earns commission on.

I used to enjoy doing the "Doc Dance" when our documents arrived in the mail. I just don't get that same thrill printing them off myself.:)

We are using our TA once again for our upcoming Allure cruise in about 4 weeks. Many years ago I swore them off after a very bad experience (this was 10 years back). Now, I really appreciate the one I have. We have 2 cabins booked, one for my hubby and I, and one for my son and his best friend (they are 18).

On this cruise; I used my next cruise booking (OBC $100), received vouchers for a spa treatment ($125, one per each cabin), vouchers for specialty dinner ($25 x 2 for each cabin), and OBC ($100), plus I did the 'bring a friend' promotion for my son's best friend who has never cruised RC before ($25 OBC), and we received our platinum balcony discount on both cabins.

I think I made out quite well and could not be happier. :D

I have used the same TA for years. I figure everything out then she takes over the booking. She deals with any stupidity that comes along and, if we book a balcony or higher, she gives us pre paid gratuities. I can't imagine why anyone is willing to give up OBC to do something themselves. I get price drops, I can move rooms.

If you use a platinum Amex to pay for your cruise you get perks as well

Ask your ta or RC

I could be wrong but I think the last time I checked you could not combine the Plat Amex benefit with a C&A balcony discount. For some lines the Plat Amex can literally pay for itself in one cruise.

LittlBud'sMom, it didn't take him 30 minutes to make the change, he called it in as soon as I called the office, the time lapse could have been calls coming into the office whatever. I checked online and noted the change in rooms within 5 minutes of my call. I could very easily book our own cruises with the cruise line in as much as I already have picked out our cabin watch for price changes etc regularly, yet I am happy with the service she has given us over the years, her knowledge, so choose to give her our business. Once I book I rarely make any changes to our cabin but if I do wish to make a change, it is done promptly. If I email on a Sat, she will email me back.

Benefits from platinum Amex....

Obc plus my ta adds more

Kids soda pkg free

Upgrades

Champagne or wine in cabin

2 spec dining

And my fav priority boarding

We are not c&a so these perks are great for us

They have tons of other perks that have nothing to do w cruises that we use as well. We use the perks and it pays for itself meant times over

You need to ask for them though. They don't just happen when you use the card

I will give you a breakdown of an upcoming transatlantic cruise I am going on. I am booked in a D1 aft cabin.

RCCL---regular fare of about $1700 per person (minus my $325 discount for being a Diamond member)

TRAVEL AGENT---fare of $1449 per person (minus the discount). $550 obc,

free gratuities, dinner in a specialty restaurant.

What's the difference? About a grand.

I will give you a breakdown of an upcoming transatlantic cruise I am going on. I am booked in a D1 aft cabin.

RCCL---regular fare of about $1700 per person (minus my $325 discount for being a Diamond member)

TRAVEL AGENT---fare of $1449 per person (minus the discount). $550 obc,

free gratuities, dinner in a specialty restaurant.

What's the difference? About a grand.

You did good...:).

Sounds like your travel agent appreciates your business.

Archived