Lobster on menu causes Celebrity ship to lose license to sail

For all those who demand lobster on the menu, read this

May 31, 2013, at 6:00 p.m

The Galapagos National Park has cited Celebrity Xpedition for transportation and storage of 12 kilograms of frozen lobster tails in the Galapagos while out of season. Because of this, Celebrity Xpedition's license that is necessary to enter the Galapagos National Park has been temporarily suspended by the local authority. Unfortunately, it is necessary to cancel the June 2 sailing of Celebrity Xpedition.

Celebrity Cruises is truly sorry for this unexpected impact on our guests' vacation. We understand their excitement and anticipation for exploring the Galapagos onboard Celebrity Xpedition. Celebrity Cruises is committed to complying with the rules and regulations of the Galapagos, which are put in place to protect and safeguard this unique and pristine environment.

While we anticipate that our license to sail in the Galapagos will be restored shortly, the situation is still fluid. We will be contacting guests booked on the June 9 to provide them with the most updated information.

Booked guests can also contact us directly at 1-888-829-4050 in the U.S. and 1-408-916-9001 internationally, as well as check this website page for regularly updated information.

The Galapagos is a national park. There are certain environmental regulations that each ship that sails in the Galapagos must follow. According to cruise critic's news article on the matter, on March 11, Xpedition was fined for having the lobster. However, the regulation stating that they couldn't have lobster on board when it was out of season, was published 6 weeks LATER, on April 22. Some have speculated that the Ecuadorian government has done this as a means to shake down Celebrity.

I had seriously considered booking this cruise to sail 2 months from now. In retrospect, I guess I was lucky that in 2011, when I was considering the August, 2013 cruise, my sailing was already fully booked. The Galapagos remained on my bucket list, but it may come off now because of the way the local government has handled this.

so let me see if I have this right. The cruise ship brought frozen lobster tail into this locale for consuming on board and got kicked out? Why is it any of their business? I dont get it. 'splain please.

It would appear the sovereign nation of Ecuador, through its Galapagos National Park doesn't allow the transportation of lobster (out of season, from this release) through its sovereign waters and has exerted its sovereignty...

Nothing else has to make sense.

(Although the press release on the Celebrity forum certainly sounds like an absurd action, to put it mildly.)

Ecuador is very strict regarding suppliers for the Galapagos. It's not like a typical cruise. Everything must be purchased from local suppliers so Maine lobster would not be allowed.

I was on the April 12 sailing and we had lobster on the menu 5 times that I remember. I guess Celebrity was trying to use up the lobster.

Archived