Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

So looking at that building chart. Blue is Quantum and the red is Anthem. But it looks like August they'll lay the keel for Norwegian Escape in front? Surely once Quantum has left you'd move the dry dock split to 2/3 down and bring Anthems blocks in up to that with Escape behind??

Interesting chart. It's odd that they would seemingly halt construction on the AnthemOTS for what looks like four months until the completed Quantum is floated out? Am I looking at that correctly? Then maybe my 'ballet' synopsis of the two ships in the previous post was incorrect?

Interesting chart. It's odd that they would seemingly halt construction on the AnthemOTS for what looks like four months until the completed Quantum is floated out? Am I looking at that correctly? Then maybe my 'ballet' synopsis of the two ships in the previous post was incorrect?

It's been said how it's going to work somewhere in this thread.

Partial Anthem will be floated out. Quantum then will be floated out and docked. Anthem goes back to where it was (In front of door) and they'll lay the keel of the Escape behind Anthem. (where Quantum was)

Partial Anthem will be floated out. Quantum then will be floated out and docked. Anthem goes back to where it was (In front of door) and they'll lay the keel of the Escape behind Anthem. (where Quantum was)

There was mention earlier in the thread of a partial Anthem being floated out in May and another partial Anthem being built? I guess that there is so much room to work on the Anthem, so perhaps they'll start another partial Anthem build. On August 3, they'll float out the Quantum, and join the two partial Anthem builds inside the hall by the big door?

There was mention earlier in the thread of a partial Anthem being floated out in May and another partial Anthem being built? I guess that there is so much room to work on the Anthem, so perhaps they'll start another partial Anthem build. On August 3, they'll float out the Quantum, and join the two partial Anthem builds inside the hall by the big door?

They do have Hall 5 open now.......

THANKS. I've been watching the construction of new builds at Meyer Werft since before the Solstice-class and find it interesting that starting with the Norwegian Breakaway the ships were built 'backwards'. Prior to this, the ships were constructed with the bow pointing towards the back end of the hall (bow in) and at the back of the hall, then just floated back within the dry dock when the keel blocks of the next ship were laid down. Celebrity Silhouette was the first one that I can remember where they had to float the ship out to float in keel blocks for the next ship, but it was still built 'bow in'. Now it just seems a bit more involved with the ships being built bow out and at the back of the hall, and the new build being at the front of the hall.

Yeah. My understanding was hall 5 would be wide enough just not long enough. That could explain why Sonne floated out so the Anthem blocks could go there hence why they aren't shown on the hall 2 plan?

Hall 5 is not wide enough (it is 41 m wide but there are stairs in the dock which are reducing the effective width). But I could imagine, that they are using the dock as a working area for smaller blocks.

A teensy bit off topic, but they've broken ground at Cape Liberty. I can only assume it's for the new cruise terminal.

I came upon photos on Facebook and posted them in the thread:

Quantum, Cape Liberty update

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42382771#post42382771

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42382771&postcount=40

Edited by Lloyd555

April 9th photo. We get to see the long forgotten stern for a change! :D

She's standing taller now that she's floating. :rolleyes:

Wait! One more smiley! One that I never get to use very often. :cool:

ga-onlineApril92014FinanceMinisterPeter-JuumlrgenSchneidervisit_photo_zps5618bbbf.jpg

Photo courtesy ga-online.de

April 9th photo. We get to see the long forgotten stern for a change! :D

She's standing taller now that she's floating. :rolleyes:

Wait! One more smiley! One that I never get to use very often. :cool:

ga-onlineApril92014FinanceMinisterPeter-JuumlrgenSchneidervisit_photo_zps5618bbbf.jpg

Photo courtesy ga-online.de

Looks like there are a bunch of balcony cabins already installed, given that they've put the glass on.

I know that they're pre-fabricated elsewhere and then slid into the bays.

Then they put the glass in.

:D

Looks like there are a bunch of balcony cabins already installed, given that they've put the glass on.

One of those is my cabin! Very exciting. Can't wait for the Nov 2nd maiden voyage (I've never done a maiden before!)

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One of those is my cabin! Very exciting. Can't wait for the Nov 2nd maiden voyage (I've never done a maiden before!)

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have a long way to go. We won't be cruising again until Summer 2016. We have a wee little one, that won't be able to enjoy anything until she's 3+.

I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say that I can't wait to see the Summer 2015 Itineraries for QoS.

I'll use that as my guide for 2016...

1 year 'till I can book and 2 + years before I sail. SIGH!!!

The pre-fabricated cabins are slid onto each deck through large holes (like the one in center of the photo) in the side of the ship, and tehn moved around on the deck to their specific locations. The glass balconies can be put in place any time, before or after the cabins are inserted.

39a56cf4d1591807ad831cbdc74d4040.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

The pre-fabricated cabins are slid onto each deck through large holes (like the one in center of the photo) in the side of the ship, and tehn moved around on the deck to their specific locations. The glass balconies can be put in place any time, before or after the cabins are inserted.

39a56cf4d1591807ad831cbdc74d4040.jpg

that makes sense. I was thinking that they were slid into the bay where they were going to be located, but now that you mention it...

that makes sense. I was thinking that they were slid into the bay where they were going to be located, but now that you mention it...

I first saw the process in a Freedom of the Seas construction video (link below). At 15:15 in the video below, pre-fabricated cabins arrive at the port to be inserted into the Freedom of the Sea.

Interesting ...

Looks like the "Sky Diving" platform to me.

Facebook entry by Royal Caribbean International: "Next step in building Quantum of the Seas: putting the azipods into place."

Now also posted on twitter (better picture quality): https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribbean/status/454645265140424705/photo/1

Edited by HD1080ide

Interesting ...

yvatu6ah.jpg

Sent from Lloyd's mobile phone

Indeed...

Wish we could see where on the ship this is. The shape of it looks like it could be the front of the ship. It looked like it could be the Helipad, before the Helipad is fully built up.

But then looking down and out, it looks like an interior structure.

(Not an elevator shaft).

Hrmmmm

Indeed...

Wish we could see where on the ship this is. The shape of it looks like it could be the front of the ship. It looked like it could be the Helipad, before the Helipad is fully built up.

But then looking down and out, it looks like an interior structure.

(Not an elevator shaft).

Hrmmmm

It is the Ripcord foundation. They posted it on twitter with #Ripcord.

Looks like the "Sky Diving" platform to me.

Facebook entry by Royal Caribbean International: "Next step in building Quantum of the Seas: putting the azipods into place."

Now also posted on twitter (better picture quality): https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribbean/status/454645265140424705/photo/1

Interesting ...

yvatu6ah.jpg

Sent from Lloyd's mobile phone

First off, liking the new azipod photo better than the last one. Thanks for sharing!

I was in my doctor's waiting room for my yearly physical when I saw the tweet. Couldn't quite make out what the image was on my mobile.

Now looking at it, I was wondering if it may be the foundation/base for an azipod, if we couple the tweets together. On the other hand, the shape of the wall behind and above the hole reminds me of the wall behind the RipCord in renderings.

maxresdefault.jpg

What do you think? Azipod, RipCord or North Star base/foundation? :)

Hmmmmm... I'm leaning towards RipCord like HD1080ide is.

Edit: Thanks, hitaway4. Didn't see the tag! Boy, did Ihave to edit this post quick before my 20 minutes were up!!

Edited by Lloyd555