Another Dress Code Question

MaryGGG

The latest dress code statement in the onboard documentation states "No rubber or plastic sandals". Ladies wear "nice" sandals all the time. I successfully wore leather, closed toe, "Fisherman" sandals on my recent Riviera cruise in all restaurant venues.

Is the "onboard documentation" what they send you before your cruise? Where does it have a dress code? I can't find it. Is this for the Terrace and if so at breakfaast and lunch?

What does '"No rubber or plastic sandals". Ladies wear "nice" sandals all the time.' mean? I remember wearing flip flops on Oceania cruises.

We leave this afternoon for the airport and my flip flops are ready to be packed.

Is the "onboard documentation" what they send you before your cruise? Where does it have a dress code? I can't find it. Is this for the Terrace and if so at breakfaast and lunch?

What does '"No rubber or plastic sandals". Ladies wear "nice" sandals all the time.' mean? I remember wearing flip flops on Oceania cruises.

We leave this afternoon for the airport and my flip flops are ready to be packed.

"Onboard documentation" is the set of books you will find on your desk or dressing table, on board the ship. The books are a virtual "bible" of onboard life and should be required reading; most of the questions asked on this board are answered there.

All mention of any dress code on board Oceania ships has to do with appropriate dress for the Grand Dining Room and the specialty restaurants at dinner time. The dress code for all activities prior to dinner has few restrictions -- primarily to do with swimwear in the retaurants. Shorts, tee shirts, jeans, flip flops, etc. are all OK for daily wear.

Q: Is there a dress code?

A: Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

Seriously though ..beach type shoes are not really appropriate for dinner EG crocs ..flip flops

Leather or leather like sandals are

I have heard that crocs now make a dressier shoe than the early ones that look like clogs they may pass but they are plastic/rubber as long as they are not bright yellow or orange they may pass ;)

Your not sailing on NCL or Carnival now

:confused: I don't understand all the queries regarding dress code on Oceania. I take one look at the promotional photographs of the beautiful classy dining venues on board and that says to me 'its a dressy do'. The promotional photos with the models also give another strong clue. Sadly many people appear to be averse to 'dressing for dinner'. My wife and I on our Riviera cruise in August will definitely be smart elegant casual (as Oceania suggest) - will we look overdressed? Sadly it appears that we might - do we care well actually yes but only that other people 'can't be bothered'. As LHT28 commented this is not NCL or Carnival!

. My wife and I on our Riviera cruise in August will definitely be smart elegant casual (as Oceania suggest) - will we look overdressed? Sadly it appears that we might - do we care well actually yes but only that other people 'can't be bothered'.

As long as you are not in a tux or ballgown you will not look overdressed

Some men will wear blazers (no tie) & I have seen some in suits (not required) but their personal choice

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I just don't understand the big fuss about the dress code. The cruise docs explain what Oceania requests as far as proper dress and all should be adult enough to adhear to their wishes.

We live in the Miami area and people do dress casual to good restaurants, but we do not see locals in flip flops, shorts or tee shirts. Only tourists that don't care dress that way in our finer places. Flip flops and shorts are for the Carnival crowd, not Oceania cruisers.

I apologize for asking the question. Many of my sandals are expensive; all are dressy. I was not talking about flip flops or crocs (we live in Naples and eat out quite a bit) but the dress code I read said sandals and I did not want to think that they were talking about mine.

I just don't understand the big fuss about the dress code. The cruise docs explain what Oceania requests as far as proper dress and all should be adult enough to adhear to their wishes.

We live in the Miami area and people do dress casual to good restaurants, but we do not see locals in flip flops, shorts or tee shirts. Only tourists that don't care dress that way in our finer places. Flip flops and shorts are for the Carnival crowd, not Oceania cruisers.

I agree but some people tend to dress to their own code. There is a thread on the concierge and executives where passengers wear their robes and hang out so to speak. Not what I want to see in the morning before breakfast. Most country clubs do not allow denim in the dining room or golf course. Oceania's MDR and Specialty restaurants are like visiting Ruth Chris or any other high end restaurant. i dress appropriately and wear metallic gold sandal kitten heels to dinner because they go with everything. Most of the ladies and gentlemen adhere to the dress code and hope it continues.

I am very aware of what thongs are in Europe.

Let me tell you I buy all my shoes from Gina of London. They are "thongs" in America for at about 800 British Pounds, I hardly think they are "flip flops". However, if this lady wants to wear "smart" what we call "thongs" on this side of the pond, I believe it is acceptable. Let us not get down in the dirt. I hate these threads that get nasty. Don't make this lady worry. I don't think she means rubber thongs!

Archived