Restaurant recommendations in Copenhagen

We will be in Copenhagen at the end of June and we booked a dinner at Tight Restaurant. Here is tripadvisor review:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189541-d1528309-Reviews-Tight-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

Even though it is not of one of these Michelin starred restaurants that Copenhagen is known for, it moderately priced and it has very good reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

We spent a day in Copenhagen during our recent Baltic cruise. We had lunch at a restaurant in Tivoli Gardens. It may seem a little touristy, but Tivoli Gardens offers over 40 restaurants with a variety of price points and it would be easy to find one that suits your tastes. We ate at Groften, a Danish/International Restaurant. There were many businessmen and women there. Our server was able to recommend classic Danish entrees and desserts to us. We're glad that we chose this place. While there, you can enjoy the other scenery, entertainment and shopping that Tivoli offers.

The website is tivoli dot dk. Click on "gardens" for a map.

Enjoy your time in Copenhagen!

Torvehallerne Market, a high-end covered food market similar to La Boqueria in Barcelona, with more than 80 stalls featuring Scandinavian and other food and drink items (some of which you probably won’t be able to identify). It’s a feast for the eyes and stomach, a foodie’s paradise. Go in mid-day, walk around, and buy some bread, cheese and olives—or already made sandwiches—whatever your palate desires and budget can afford. There are tables outside, if you can find one that isn’t occupied, where it’s possible to eat a quick bite or leisurely meal while getting a slice-of-life experience among locals. Highly recommend.

Frk. Barners Kaelder, a not-too-expensive restaurant (for Denmark) that serves food akin to Danish home cooking. I’m not familiar with Danish home cooking and therefore can’t vouch for its authenticity, but the portions are huge and the food pretty good. It’s not gourmet; it’s comfort food that tastes particularly comforting after a long day of walking and sightseeing. If interested, ask the concierge at your hotel to make a reservation.

Thanks Editrix. We are staying at the Phoenix Copenhagen and looking for reasonably priced places to eat. Your recommendation of Torvehallerne Market looks very promising. It's only one metro stop from our hotel so we will surely check it out.

We are staying at the Phoenix Copenhagen and looking for reasonably priced places to eat. Your recommendation of Torvehallerne Market looks very promising. It's only one metro stop from our hotel so we will surely check it out.

One caveat. Nothing in Scandinavia is "reasonably priced" by our standards. Everything is expensive.

Also, the Torvehallerne complex consists of two buildings and an outdoor farmers market. It's a great place and there's a lot to see, but make sure you know the conversion rate of Danish krone to U.S. dollars so that you can purchase wisely.

Don´t make it any worse than it is.

There are plenty of cheap (or reasonable priced) restaurants inj Copenhagen but you get what you pay for. :D

There are dosens of 100 DKK buffets at Strøget and near the central station and Jensens Bøfhus is cheaper if you are eatring before 16:00.

And then there are plenty of Pizza and kebab houses.

Torvehallerne Market, a high-end covered food market similar to La Boqueria in Barcelona, with more than 80 stalls featuring Scandinavian and other food and drink items (some of which you probably won’t be able to identify). It’s a feast for the eyes and stomach, a foodie’s paradise. Go in mid-day, walk around, and buy some bread, cheese and olives—or already made sandwiches—whatever your palate desires and budget can afford. There are tables outside, if you can find one that isn’t occupied, where it’s possible to eat a quick bite or leisurely meal while getting a slice-of-life experience among locals. Highly recommend.

[/font][/size]

Thanks for the recommendation. We are doing the Segway tour from 9:00AM-11:00 AM. I'll like to visit the Torvehallerne Market after we finish our tour!!:):)

Don´t make it any worse than it is. There are plenty of cheap (or reasonable priced) restaurants inj Copenhagen but you get what you pay for. :D There are dosens of 100 DKK buffets at Strøget and near the central station and Jensens Bøfhus is cheaper if you are eatring before 16:00. And then there are plenty of pizza and kebab houses.

LOL. I didn’t mean to offend. I say the same thing about prices in Tokyo, Singapore, London, Paris, and especially New York City since I travel there most frequently. I’m sure people say the same about where I live, about 20 miles south of San Francisco.

Good food is my downfall. I don’t want to take out a loan to eat it (à la Noma), but it must be good quality and somewhat native to the region. For me, eating pizza or kebobs in Copenhagen would be like eating smørrebrød in Italy and the Middle East.

LOL. I didn’t mean to offend. I say the same thing about prices in Tokyo, Singapore, London, Paris, and especially New York City since I travel there most frequently. I’m sure people say the same about where I live, about 20 miles south of San Francisco.

Good food is my downfall. I don’t want to take out a loan to eat it (à la Noma), but it must be good quality and somewhat native to the region. For me, eating pizza or kebobs in Copenhagen would be like eating smørrebrød in Italy and the Middle East.

Sorry if I was a little bit rude, but it still puzzles me that people think that Copenhagen is so expensive and the only place they have eaten or drinking was at the most expensive place in town to get a beer (yes that's Nyhavn)

There aren't that many traditional danish restaurants, but in Tivoli there are some reasonable priced (by Copenhagen standard) restaurants that serves traditionally danish food.

Can you recommend anything in the Nyhavn area and give me an idea of what I can expect tp pay?

Thanks

I will look something up but I am at the Roskilde Festival but will be home in the start of the week (can't endure all 9 days) so I can do a proper search.

Torvehallerne Market, a high-end covered food market similar to La Boqueria in Barcelona, with more than 80 stalls featuring Scandinavian and other food and drink items (some of which you probably won’t be able to identify).

Quick question

Do you know what the cost for the train is from central station to Norrreport to the market??

I was looking on the website for the train & totally confused by the zones :confused:

Or is there a bus that would go there?

Thank you

Lyn

Everytime I come to Denmark, I get stickershock for a few days mainky because of the larger amount caused by the exchange rate.

You have to remember the 25% sales tax and I believe there is a 25% gratuity build into the price. It is certainly higher than in the states where the same add to 30% in some cases.

However I can never get used to the prices for soda and coffee and without refills!

This is subjective, but I feel the food is better prepared using fresher ingrediences than in the states.

If you go to the best restaurants I find the price differences seem to dissapear.

Quick question. Do you know what the cost for the train is from central station to Norrreport to the market?? I was looking on the website for the train & totally confused by the zones :confused: Or is there a bus that would go there?

I have no idea about the train. We purchased combo HOHO bus/boat tickets from Strömma and never used any other means of transportation, except a taxi from the airport and then another one to the cruise terminal. Our hotel (the Scandic) was a few blocks from Tivoli Gardens, directly across from the Copenhagen Visitor Center where all the HOHO buses congregate. We felt safe taking the buses (and boats) to various destinations and then hopping off to walk to other places.

To get to the market, I believe we hopped off at Rosenborg Castle and walked from there, about a half-mile walk.

I have no idea about the train. We purchased combo HOHO bus/boat tickets from Strömma and never used any other means of transportation, except a taxi from the airport and then another one to the cruise terminal. Our hotel (the Scandic) was a few blocks from Tivoli Gardens, directly across from the Copenhagen Visitor Center where all the HOHO buses congregate. We felt safe taking the buses (and boats) to various destinations and then hopping off to walk to other places.

To get to the market, I believe we hopped off at Rosenborg Castle and walked from there, about a half-mile walk.

Thanks for the response

We had lunch at a restaurant in Tivoli Gardens. It may seem a little touristy, but Tivoli Gardens offers over 40 restaurants with a variety of price points and it would be easy to find one that suits your tastes. We ate at Groften, a Danish/International Restaurant. There were many businessmen and women there. Our server was able to recommend classic Danish entrees and desserts to us. We're glad that we chose this place. While there, you can enjoy the other scenery, entertainment and shopping that Tivoli offers.

Our hotel recommended that if we going to Tivoli Gardens in the evening to have dinner at Groften. Lovely outdoor garden, we had a fine meal here, would certainly recommend. Very crowded, luckily the hotel had made a reservation for us.

SAS

We will be in Copenhagen 3 nights in July. Looking for moderate priced restaurants.

We just returned from an 11-night Baltic cruise out of Copenhagen. An option, aside from only one restaurant recommendation, would be to look up Copenhagen Food Tours. The manager/operator is Marie. She is an engaging tour guide native to Denmark. It proved to be a fantastic culinary experience, reasonably priced and yet quite extensive offering more than merely "a taste." I'll be posting a review on Trip Advisor soon...

Everytime I come to Denmark, I get stickershock for a few days mainky because of the larger amount caused by the exchange rate.

You have to remember the 25% sales tax and I believe there is a 25% gratuity build into the price. It is certainly higher than in the states where the same add to 30% in some cases.

However I can never get used to the prices for soda and coffee and without refills!

This is subjective, but I feel the food is better prepared using fresher ingrediences than in the states.

If you go to the best restaurants I find the price differences seem to dissapear.

Yes there is a 25% tax on all purchases (supermarket, restaurant etc.) but the 25% gratuity i have never heard about (what is it anyway).

But the somewhat high prices come from the high cost of living in Denmark (compared to more poorer countries).

If you buy a appartment in Copenhagen the median price per squaremetres is around 3.700 euro´s in if that says anything to you.

Quick question

Do you know what the cost for the train is from central station to Norrreport to the market??

I was looking on the website for the train & totally confused by the zones :confused:

Or is there a bus that would go there?

Thank you

Lyn

All train, Metro and bus travels in central Copenhagen costs 24 DKK

All train, Metro and bus travels in central Copenhagen costs 24 DKK

Thank you

Now it makes sense

It was the zones that confused me as well

easily done some days ;)

Lyn

Archived