Tipping statistics

What Byron said.

The culture for tipping is very different. For most Europeans tipping is on top of the regular salary - a bonus. Very few got a salary that relies of tipping.

Personally I tip when I am on a cruise, or visiting US. I am also tipping for great extra service on restaurants, taxis etc.

I think it is strange with a system where the customer/client is directly responsible for the salary of an employee - I believe that that the employer should have that responsibility.

This also explains why the level of service is not always consistent in Europe (or at least in the part of Europe where I live :) )

The waiters etc. do not depend on your tip for their salary.

I don't want to generalize too much, but this is based on my personal experiences and understanding of the systems.

In the US, I have never gotten angry responses from wait-staff when I had to send food back to the kitchen. In a restaurant near where I live, this happens quite often (heard from many others and experienced it first hand).

Why am I saying this: I think it's wrong to say that this is a flawed (not directed at you Norwegianlatvian) system.

There are benefits (for all parties) to the system of tipping.

Surely the point is here that different areas of the world have different cultures, and different customs when it comes to tipping.

The whole cruise market is very Americanised, and very different to what Europeans are used to, not just in service but in eveything throughout the cruise. Just consider the way Europeans are treated throughout the booking process, and the costs they pay !

This is also such an easy thing to solve...Do away with the tips completely from the customer perspective, and add it to the cruise cost.

The non hardworking staff will be outed by their colleagues for not pulling their weight anyway, and the tipping element can just be paid direct to the staff from 100% of the cruisers. This would surely mean the tips pool is bigger straight away !

I suspect the big issue here is that most cruisers dont want a rise in price which would see them paying European prices :eek:

Our last cruise, I don't remember ever seeing cabin steward at all. Our room was in a separate hall than the rest of his rooms. Our room though was always very clean, he did a good job.

Our friends were in the two rooms next to us, and their cabin steward was always around and happy to please any of us with our requests - plus was very entertaining. In addition to tipping our steward, we tipped our friend's steward too. He really deserved it!

Surely the point is here that different areas of the world have different cultures, and different customs when it comes to tipping.

The whole cruise market is very Americanised, and very different to what Europeans are used to, not just in service but in eveything throughout the cruise. Just consider the way Europeans are treated throughout the booking process, and the costs they pay !

This is also such an easy thing to solve...Do away with the tips completely from the customer perspective, and add it to the cruise cost.

The non hardworking staff will be outed by their colleagues for not pulling their weight anyway, and the tipping element can just be paid direct to the staff from 100% of the cruisers. This would surely mean the tips pool is bigger straight away !

I suspect the big issue here is that most cruisers dont want a rise in price which would see them paying European prices :eek:

Agreed.......good points!

With all due respect-it really is none of your business.

If you want an answer-don't go to a forum. Write the company and ask them directly. Poll all the employees you come in contact with if you care to get involved that much.

I swear-I have never met anyone that I asked how much money they make or how much tip money they get or don't get. Some things are just plain and simple, personal and none of our business as passengers.

If I want to make it my business then it is very much my business........

I wanted an answer so I did come to the forum.......isn't that what they are for?

I might write as suggested.....thank you.

You are rude. YOU seem to be the one not understanding what is being said. No one here knows how many people do and don't tip. No one here can force those that chose not to tip, to tip. At this point the cruise line has made tipping voluntary, until that changes there will always be people that dont tip. What other answer would you like?

Just because you don't get the answer you think you should does not mean people don't understand. But please, stick to simple posts in the future as that is all us simple minded partiers can understand. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to be rude......I thought someone might know the answer........I liked all the answers. Even yours as every response helps paints a picture of what I thought was an important issue.

Where's the ROFL icon? Seriously, the possibility that some people are undertipping or not tipping at all is akin to civil rights:confused:?

I've never seen where cruising is sold as a completely all inclusive vacation with no other fees, taxes etc required. Anyone the does even the most basic vacation planning would know about tipping on a cruise ship. They might not know the actual suggested amounts but they would know the expectation exists.

I didn't mean to compare cruising to civil rights....I was just making the point that people can change things if they think they are wrong......

As long as you paid the minimum youn fine. My husband and I pre paid our tips on our last cruise and we had no intention of paying more, however, the staff was so wonderful that we did leave an extra $20.00 for everyone.

That's pretty much what we find. Rarely does the staff not WOW us - -so we go with lots of extra $20's

When it comes to tipping on cruises, I've been broken. I used to care, and I used to tip generously, usually above the standard. Generally that is what I do on land, and I figure why do it any different on cruises. But the fact that it has just become this constant issue has worn me out. So I officially no longer care. I pre-pay the tips, or have them put on my account, or whatever the option is that involves absolutely NO effort on my part, and I'm done with it. I have decided wasting any more of my mental energy on this issue is pointless. The cruise line has told me what is expected, okay, I'll do that. End of story.

I have also waved the white flag. We still tip the CL and DL servers as we go and will add a little extra to drinks. If our stateroom attendant goes above and beyond what we expect (and they usually do), we'll leave extra. But as far as the dining room, we are almost never in the MDR (we do MTD) so just call it good with the prepaid amount.

we are almost never in the MDR (we do MTD) so just call it good with the prepaid amount.

Don't understand!

If you do MTD (My Time Dining), you are certainly in the MDR (Main Dining Room)

I have also waved the white flag. We still tip the CL and DL servers as we go and will add a little extra to drinks. If our stateroom attendant goes above and beyond what we expect (and they usually do), we'll leave extra. But as far as the dining room, we are almost never in the MDR (we do MTD) so just call it good with the prepaid amount.

And this is exactly my point..We have done exactly the same.

Some people dont deserve what they get, but now instead of it getting taken away and given to someone that does we just call it quits.

Would never queue to get grats removed, but you are so right, its easier to prepay and forget it, so it might just as well be part of the cruise cost !

What I learned is.....

The answer to your question is no - we have no way to know how many people don't tip.

You won't listen, no matter how many people tell you that.

You will instantly cling to a number that someone told you that some captain once said.

You will insult all others who don't respond in a manner that suits you.

Hey ho...enjoy your upcoming cruise. :D

NOW THAT WAS VERY NASTY!!!:mad:

You should be ashamed...:(

NOW THAT WAS VERY NASTY!!!:mad:

You should be ashamed...:(

Did you read the post to which I was responding, in which she basically insulted everyone who'd responded to her so far. I thought a little mocking post in return was completely appropriate. In fact, I thought I was relatively nice about it, considering the tone of her post. I am not ashamed. :cool:

What I learned is.....

The answer to your question is no - we have no way to know how many people don't tip.

You won't listen, no matter how many people tell you that.

You will instantly cling to a number that someone told you that some captain once said.

You will insult all others who don't respond in a manner that suits you.

Hey ho...enjoy your upcoming cruise. :D

It was a nasty mocking response paul65. However my original post did not insult anyone. I merely pointed out that I was disappointed in the responses to my questions as most people decided to go off topic somewhat and turn it into a bragging post........that is not what I was after.

My comment about cruisers just wanting to have fun was my disappointed response to the responses which did seem to convey that was the case. Most people just wanted to tell how well they tipped when my questions were about the opposite. That is fine.

Everything else was factual.

Brilliant! Statistics eh!

You realize where he pulled that out from, right?:cool::p

Again, no one here would even begin to know the answer to your question. I don't even know why you or anyone else would think it was possible to get such an answer from consumers. The corporate number crunchers and high ups are who would know and they're not sharing.

I do not like pre paid Tips, it is not something I can relate to or agree with as it just becomes a wage supplement from the customers in my mind.

I always tip our Cabin steward and Dinning room staff as well as most of our Bar waiters even though that is normally covered in the drinks price.

I have no faith whatsoever in automatic tips getting to the staff in question, I do not care what the Cruise lines break up is off auto tips, some of those folk in the restaurant I never see or have anything to do with my Cruise Experience.

I look after all of the people I come in contact with and I have seen many of those same staff the day after we tipped them and everyone of them seemed more than happy with what we gave them and we have seem them again on later Cruises and they were keen to catch up.

I am sorry that none of my tips go to the below deck people in the Laundry or Engine room but that is out of my hands, I do not run the Ship or set the Salaries and its not up to me to prop up under paid workers that I do not come into contact with.

Just my thoughts..

You realize where he pulled that out from, right?:cool::p

Again, no one here would even begin to know the answer to your question. I don't even know why you or anyone else would think it was possible to get such an answer from consumers. The corporate number crunchers and high ups are who would know and they're not sharing.

It's is not just the consumers who post here. Staff of the line do to......who knows.....Mr Gildstein himself might just be a cruise critic member.......It wouldn't surprise me. In fact it would be rather sensible of them to monitor these boards and those of the opposition.......

Archived