Europe or Tahiti for 2007?

jimbug

My mom is retiring in 2007, and she has asked me to start working on a "big" cruise in celebration of the occasion. So far, I have been to Alaska, and the two of us together have been to Mexican Riviera and the Western Caribbean next spring. We'll probably do Hawaii and Alaska (7-nighters) sometime before this big cruise. We've basically narrowed it down to the Mediterranean or Tahiti for the big shebang. We're both beach people, so Tahiti would be awesome...plus it's definitely a part of the world none of us (or anyone who might travel with us) has been to. My mom has never been overseas, so Europe would be really interesting to her, but since the itineraries basically involve a lot of "tours" rather than a lot of relaxing, I'm not sure. Plus, I would like to see some of the cities the Med cruises often visit.

Any suggestions? We'd probably go Princess either way...although perhaps RCCL or Carnival in the Med if much cheaper. Any pros and/or cons to either route? Thanks!

Tahiti or Europe--which to choose..........

If you are looking for relaxation and a slower pace I would do the Tahiti trip. We have been there twice and highly recommend it. The Tahitian Princess is a small intimate ship compare the the grand class that cruise over in Europe. It's a long flight either way but the drive to the ports in Europe can be pretty long whereas in Tahiti the airport is less than 10 minutes from the ship/port and shopping in Papeete is a very short walk away.

One of the best ways to see Europe is to fly over, rent a car and see it at your own pace. We have done European cruises before and loved them. One of the best is the Norwegian Fjords cruise from Southampton, UK to Norway and return. Another one is just doing the British Isles. There are many options, but if you are looking for relaxation, go to Tahiti!!!!!

What you all have said makes perfect sense! Once I started thinking about, doing a European cruise would be fun but would involve a lot of "getting there" - i.e., traveling from the port to the tourist destination or whatnot. As my husband said, a cruise is not the way to see Europe, because you only get such a small portion of the coastal cities on the cruise...we should backpack/rent a car to do that sometime at our own pace...and I totally agree. Tahiti it is! Can't wait! Does anyone have access to the Tahitian Princess schedules for 2007 or are they not out yet?

I just did Hawaii - Tahiti last month. If they keep the itinerary the same, it should be Honolulu (embark), Kauai, Maui, Hilo, 2 days at sea, Christmas Island, 2 days at sea, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti.

I loved this itinerary and am glad to see they will be offering more next year. I'm even thinking of booking it again to get back to Christmas Island.

Christine

I just did Hawaii - Tahiti last month. If they keep the itinerary the same, it should be Honolulu (embark), Kauai, Maui, Hilo, 2 days at sea, Christmas Island, 2 days at sea, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti.

I loved this itinerary and am glad to see they will be offering more next year. I'm even thinking of booking it again to get back to Christmas Island.

Christine

You don't get to see much of Tahiti on this cruise. We went on both itineraries of the Tahitian Princess to the Marquesas and Cook Islands. We loved them both but I thought the Cook Islands were a tad bit better. The motu picnics at Huahine were great and Rarotonga was fascinating where we went to the cultural village. It was like a day in the life of the Tahitian during the olden times. You would miss out on that on a Hawaii-Tahiti cruise.

Archived