Disembarkation Question

roothy123

We generally don't disembark at the crack of dawn, but we have a somewhat early flight from Heathrow after coming into Southampton, so we'll need to leave early. If we dock at 6, is it reasonable to expect that we can ask for a 7:00 departure time from the ship, assuming, of course, that it has been cleared, and baggage taken to the terminal? Our airfare is from Oceania but we're not using O transfers, if that matters.

Depends on the time of your flight you may want off earlier

Allow 2 hrs to LHR the 3 hrs prior for check in

Are you taking the train, bus or private transfer?? may make a difference in travelling times

When you get the forms near the end of the cruise you can ask what is the best time to get off

Seven should be fine if you have a noon or later flight

On our last trip they sent around a form near the end to ask when you wanted off, we chose 8 am which I believe was the first group. The destination services people organize this so talk to them when the form arrives about a early disembark.

We're arranging for a cab for 4 of us. I'm aware of Oceania's form, and we have always gotten off when we asked to get off. However, I have never asked for a truly early departure, and never ended my cruise in Southampton, so I'm just trying to determine how long it might take for the baggage to be taken off, the ship to the cleared, and people allowed off. There are 4 ships in Southampton that day, so things will be hopping. Also, does anyone know if there is an immigration/customs check in the terminal at Southampton at the QEII dock location, or if you can simply walk away once you get your bags? I'm trying to figure out what time to ask the cab driver to meet us.

hypercafe, when you got off at 8AM, was that in Southampton, or somewhere else?

LHT28, our flight is 1:05 but other 2 folks have 12:20 flights.

LHT28, our flight is 1:05 but other 2 folks have 12:20 flights.

We docked in Dover & I do not recall any immigrations checks but we did port in another UK port before the final stop

I would think if you are off by 7:30- 8 am you should be OK

Two hr drive to LHR incase of traffic & 3 hrs prior to flights in case of line ups at check in

I really try to avoid LHR when possible;)

We had to change planes in Heathrow several years ago and hated it. Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask for another airport when I got my air deviation this year. Oh well.

We are also porting in the UK just before Southampton, so maybe things will be easy at SH.

Hi

When you arrive in Southampton you just walk off the ship - no further immigration to go through but customs officials may be there. If you are concerned retain your cases and walk off with them the following morning which you should be able to do at 7.00am - depends how you are traveliing to Heathrow?

I went through Heathrow twice this spring, and it was a joy. Yes, there are distances to navigate, if you have to move between terminals, but everything is very well organized and the signage is great.

What time is your flight? I've never disembarked at Southampton, but I'm pretty sure we went through passport control in Dover. It probably depends what country you're coming from--if you're coming from Europe or Scandinavia I would imagine you'd have to go through customs/immigration.

Thanks, Cellen. I am about to reserve a car from Smiths to Airports (or something like that), and while they promise to wait "a bit" before leaving if you're late, I don't know how much "a bit" is, and don't really want to find out! I have plenty of time to make a 1 PM flight, but the other couple less so, so we're unsure when to make the reservation. We could always just get off and get in a taxi line, but prefer pre-booking, and Smiths sounds reasonable and reliable.

Wendy, glad to hear Heathrow was easy. At least we just get to the terminal (most likely 1) and that's it - no change of terminals for a connection or anything like we had to do before. The other couple's flight is at 12:20; ours is at 1:05. We are Americans traveling back to U.S. but start and end the cruise in Southampton. Previous port is Great Britain (Portland/Weymouth) if that matters.

Book for 7 or 7:30 you should be fine

I would co ordinate with your travelling companions ...they will be the ones that need to be there 1st;)

You can always ask the Car company what the usual transport time is on the day of the week you are going

... I am about to reserve a car from Smiths to Airports (or something like that), and while they promise to wait "a bit" before leaving if you're late, I don't know how much "a bit" is, and don't really want to find out!

I don't blame you! What you want is a driver who promises to wait until you appear!

Oh, and what time does the ship actually arrive in Southampton? It takes time for ships to "clear" before pax can disembark. I would check that.

I don't blame you! What you want is a driver who promises to wait until you appear!

Oh, and what time does the ship actually arrive in Southampton? It takes time for ships to "clear" before pax can disembark. I would check that.

Their website states "if you're late, we wait, no extra charge"......:confused:

We just disembarked at Southampton from a Marina transatlantic. We had an 8:30 a.m. reservation for a tour bus but found the earliest disembarkation offered was 8 a.m. Then there was a delay and it got close to 8:30. We eventually got permission to disembark although our group had yet to be called. It was somewhat chaotic and most independents like us disembarked earlier than scheduled. It was just a walk through but luggage was not off loaded and we still have a 10-minute wait in a chaotic environment. We boarded the bus about 8:45 which waited. Another couple whose luggage was misplaced missed the bus. Heathrow the next day was a breeze, but it was early a.m. midweek.

Oh boy, I really didn't want to hear that, but certainly needed to hear that. Oceania DOES advise not planning on being off until 8, but of course some people don't know that before they go and do their own thing and/or be overly optimistic like me. All I can hope is that your delay was due to the fact that the big, new Royal Princess came in that same morning and there was quite a big hubub going on with that. I know Marina got in to Southampton at something like 3AM, according to a marine web site I looked at, but getting in and getting cleared to unload, disembark, etc. can be a different story!

I know I'll be OK for my 1:05 flight, but the other couple may be rushing for theirs, as it's earlier. I suspect they booked it on their own, not realizing how these things can sometimes go.

I guess the good thing is that buses and cabs know that disembarkation can be iffy, so they wait.

Thank you for the information.

I know I'll be OK for my 1:05 flight, but the other couple may be rushing for theirs, as it's earlier. I suspect they booked it on their own, not realizing how these things can sometimes go.

The good news is that once you miss a Flight, you will never make a similar mistake again.

Even a 1:05 Departure is cutting it VERY CLOSE, and there are so many variables (Customs, Traffic, Airport Security) that if any one goes wrong, you have missed it.

Are you aware that they want you at Heathrow 3 hours ahead for an International Flight? :eek:

Archived