excursions in Roatan?

hockeygal54

What have people done in Roatan that they really liked? We are going first week of Jan '14 and haven't seen too much on the PC list that appeal to me. Thinking of something that involves some beach, little snorkeling and maybe that animal rescue thing but read varied reviews on it.

Also anyone know where PC docks? I understand there are now two docks. I was there 10 yrs ago with NCL (ugh) and there was only one dock and honestly don't know where it was. :p

I was there on the Crown Princess in February. Princess docks at the same dock as Carnival, at Mahogany Bay. There is a beach area within walking distance or you can take the chairlift which is $10/pp via Princess, $12/pp at the lift. There's a shopping village at the dock as well. We took the chairlift over to the beach and relaxed on loungers in the shade. Someone came by with menus and we ordered lunch delivered to our loungers. It was pretty reasonable and you can pay cash or use a credit card. I found the day there very relaxing.

What have people done in Roatan that they really liked? We are going first week of Jan '14 and haven't seen too much on the PC list that appeal to me. Thinking of something that involves some beach, little snorkeling and maybe that animal rescue thing but read varied reviews on it.

Also anyone know where PC docks? I understand there are now two docks. I was there 10 yrs ago with NCL (ugh) and there was only one dock and honestly don't know where it was. :p

On Caribbean Princess you'll dock at Mahogany Bay. On your NCL cruise 10 years ago you were at Coxen Hole.

Pam described what you can expect a Mahogany Bay. Very nice and quite easy for a beach day! We did this on our last port stop in Roatan and especially enjoyed the bar that overlooked the beach at Mahogany Bay.

There was a time when we loved taking a catamaran to the Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world) to snorkel. Awesome!!

LuLu

~~~

Head over to the Caribbean ports of call board for Roatan. THere is tons of info there. One of our favorite stops. SO much so we did 10 days in Jan. WONDERFUL. If you don't leave Mahagony Bay, you will only be looking at the man made Carnival owned beach day stop. You will find no decent snorkeling there.

For sure, cross your fingers that you will be able to dock. It's always iffy for CCl owned ships.:(

a private tour with Victor Bodden is the ay to go. They will bring you anywhere you want. We just got back from a tour on May 29. It was just me and my partner for $40 each(its cheaoer with more people) we went to the iguana farm, the monkey place9both were awesome!!!!!) we went to a beach area, rode around and got a tour of the island, did the glass bottomed boat. We wanted to go snorkeling but my partner got motion sickness on the glass bottomed boat so we had to skip it. A private tour is the way to go!

If the currents or wind are strong, sometimes they cannot dock at Mahogany. If this should happen , and you are lucky, and there are no other ships there, then you could dock at Coxen where Royal docks.. That's why we like to take Royal when we are going to Roatan, although we are booked on the Magic to Mahogany next March.

Why is it an issue docking @ Mahogany Bay?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Why is it an issue docking @ Mahogany Bay?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

The port area was man made by Carnival corp. Apparently their design did not take into account the many days when the winds affect the Captain's ability to back into the pier area. So often enough, those ships are turned away, missing what I think is a great port of call in the Carib. Missed it last Jan. on Princess Crown. But it can missed anytime of the year. No telling. It will become a sea day for the passengers if their ship skips it.

Rarely a ship can be redirected to Coxen Hole where RCl owned ships dock. Depends on the schedule and number of ships in Coxen Hole that day.

If you want beautiful water, and beach(es), snorkeling, animal rescue all on an island...I have 2 reviews in my signature that is in Roatan and I highly recommend either.

Click either Little French Key or Maya Key. Both are simply beautiful and amazing!! :)

• 1 month later...
I'm reading through mitsugirly reviews and I'm torn. I planned on booking Maya Key through NCL. I went there went it was Fins n Flippers and loved it. Now I'm reading about Little French Key and love it too. :o

It's definitely a hard decision between the two. LFK is definitely my pick for beauty. Maya Key is my pick for snorkeling (although LFK has snorkeling, and you can see a lot from shore, you can also snorkel out to the reef, which I regret not doing). Maybe I'll get the chance again in the future. :)

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I like the idea of the kayaks and nice beaches on LFK. We will be at Maya Chan after Roatan. So I have to factor that into booking excursions. I like variety of excursions throughout a cruise. I still have no clue what to do in Belize. Belize is my problem child on this trip. :p Maya Key, aka Fins n Flippers, is still one of my favorite excursions. I just wonder how much it has changed since it caters to cruise excursions only...

I like the idea of the kayaks and nice beaches on LFK. We will be at Maya Chan after Roatan. So I have to factor that into booking excursions. I like variety of excursions throughout a cruise. I still have no clue what to do in Belize. Belize is my problem child on this trip. :p Maya Key, aka Fins n Flippers, is still one of my favorite excursions. I just wonder how much it has changed since it caters to cruise excursions only...

Honestly, I have never been to a more beautiful place than LFK. The water and surroundings, it's just like no other.

Belize is a hard one too in my opinion. We did the cave tubing (twice and only twice because the second time around my oldest daughter was with us and she wanted to experience it) and we did Bannister Island (and that was ONLY because I heard about the star fish AND because of the benefit of the tender picking you up directly from the ship instead of having to tender).

You hear about people doing the ruins, but I have never done them. I really have no interest in them.

The next time we go back to Belize, I will be either going to Goffs Cay or Rendezvous Cay. You see I'm one of those that could do a beach day every day with no problems. Each beach is different and I want to experience them all. :D

As for how much Fins & Flippers has changed, after looking at all of my pictures, it should give you a pretty good idea of what it looks like now compared to what it was like when you went. :) I would love to hear the differences. I bet they've come a long way.

I read through your review of Maya Key and the pictures brought back good memories. The huge difference I saw was the ruin. The ruin was partially finished back in 2009. Everything looks more finished and polished. I think I will stick with Maya Key. :)

We were going to do the Little French Key but after I asked about adding in a Zip Line tour before going to the Key.... the price was outragious :eek:. No mater what other companies that I asked the quote at LFK was twice the price for the Zipline. So have now canelled them and gone with Bodden and the Zip & Dip at West Bay Beach for half the cost of LFK.

Archived