Dawn question

Tina55

Getting ready to pack for our July 1 cruisetour to Alaska on the Dawn. Can anyone tell me if there are hair dryers provided and will my travel iron be confiscated?

Can't believe we are leaving one week from tomorrow. I don't post too much but I have read and learned soooooo much from everyone on the boards. I can't wait.

Thanks for answering two last questions.

Tina

Yes, hair dryers are in the room. In the inside cabins, they're not in the bathroom, they're by the desk. If I remember right, it was the same in the minisuite, but I'm not sure. Didn't bring a travel iron (they have irons in the laundry room) so can't tell you for sure, but I don't see why they'd confiscate your travel iron.

Have a fantastic trip! :)

I thought I read somewhere that you could not have an iron in your room. Maybe I misunderstood. Good news is I don't have to lug my hair dryer with me. Thanks for the info.

Tina

You are correct.. Irons are not allowed in your room. They are considered a fire hazard. Every deck that has cabin's, except the Riviera, has a self serve laundrymat complete with washers. dryers, irons and ironing boards..

I have always taken an iron. After using it I leave it out on the desk, unplugged, so the steward can see that it is unplugged. You'll need to bring a 6 ft extension cord to iron on the bed. Yes, there are irons and boards in the laundry but sometimes I just don't want to lug stuff down there.

My travel iron has gone on 34 Princess cruises, last one May 23 and it has not been confiscated.

So far you have been lucky... From the Princess Cruises Passage Contract:

Carrier has the right to prohibit items from being brought on board that may pose a safety hazard. These include but are not limited to utensils, tools and certain types of sporting equipment that may be used as a weapon, firearms, flammable substances (except for limited quantities of personal care toiletries), explosives, irons, heating devices, candles, certain types of recreational wheeled transportation devices or any other item that Security personnel may identify as a potential threat to safety.

We were on the Dawn in May.....I really wished I had brought my own hair dryer on board. Unless your hair dries in a jiffy.....I found the one provided was underpowered. Happy cruising....you will love the Dawn!

Thanks everyone. I knew I read or saw it somewhere that irons are not allowed. I'm going to take mine anyway because of the convenience, if they take it so be it. Thanks for the advice of the extension cord. Now, if they took my curling iron that would be different, I don't want to scare the rest of the passengers. :eek: :eek:

Tina

Thanks everyone. I knew I read or saw it somewhere that irons are not allowed. I'm going to take mine anyway because of the convenience, if they take it so be it. Thanks for the advice of the extension cord. Now, if they took my curling iron that would be different, I don't want to scare the rest of the passengers. :eek: :eek:

Tina

So even though you know the rules you will take it anyway.. :rolleyes:

Hope you don't catch the ship on fire.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thank you Tina.. :)

If you are concerned about some wrinkles, steamers are allowed..

If your cabin is forward or midships, the laundry room is but a short walk..

If you are aft.. Well a little walk now and then can't do any harm..

So far you have been lucky... From the Princess Cruises Passage Contract:

Carrier has the right to prohibit items from being brought on board that may pose a safety hazard. These include but are not limited to utensils, tools and certain types of sporting equipment that may be used as a weapon, firearms, flammable substances (except for limited quantities of personal care toiletries), explosives, irons, heating devices, candles, certain types of recreational wheeled transportation devices or any other item that Security personnel may identify as a potential threat to safety.

I guess this means I leave my coleman white gas stove, lantern, hunting rifle, flame thrower fire starter and ATV at home!

Just won't be the same without them...

I guess this means I leave my coleman white gas stove, lantern, hunting rifle, flame thrower fire starter and ATV at home!

Just won't be the same without them...

You betcha... I will leave my shotgun home also. No aft bird shooting for me.. :D

BTW.. I see you will be on the Dawn shortly. We will be in December. Would appreciate if you post good/bad about the cruise..

I really wouldn't bother with the travel iron (not to mention that Princess really doesn't want them onboard). We had no trouble walking down the hall to iron and you get to use a proper ironing board not your bed!!! Even had a laugh at the two people (and they weren't men) who we had to teach how to use an iron - made us wonder what they did at home!!!!

I am on board of Dawn Princes docking at Ketchikan with no Liquid Sunshine. In fact, we had no rain during that past 6 days. The wind was chilly at College Fjord. We felt sorry for the people who did not bring jackets.

Hair dryer is in room and it is powerful enough even in such high humidity. We both have short hair. It takes 2 minutes to blow dry. The humidity was 85% and above, nice for our skin.

Archived