tipping

jerry49

Also, since there is no bill, what is the amount that you normally leave? Is it just a feel for the service?

Thanks.:D

The gratuity is included in the cover charge so I choose not to triple tip. I've tipped once in the MDR (auto tips i leave intact) and second in the cover charge, so I don't care to leave a third tip for the same meal.

For example, on my 16-night Diamond cruise last month, my cabin steward was sub-par for a lot of reasons and didn't improve during the cruise. So, he got nothing extra. My waitstaff was good and we made several special orders so I gave my waiter $30 and assistant waiter $15.

PAM:

As always, thank you for your informative post.

It's nice to have an amount listed that you tipped. It gives people something to compare to.

For years on this forum, I've read about giving extra at the end...but, rarely was the "amount" mentioned.

Most were stated in a way that lead you to believe the tip given at the end was a large amount.

So, were they tipping 20.00 or 100.00 or more?

(Or were they just blowing smoke on CC)

Thank you for giving an honest and helpful tipping suggestion.....gives us an amount to work with and adjust to our personal situations.

I have asked this question many times and never had a response, we are from the UK and are aware that cruises from the Uk have a majority of Brits on board who all remove their tips, let me say we never do, we cruise on Princess ships and follow their "rules" but have still never had an answer to the question do the staff get paid different rates on cruises out of the UK as they do in OZ, if not it must be really tough for them, one day someone will let me know.

Sue

Celebrity DOES post the split of where your auto-tip dollars go. I wonder why Princess doesn't do the same? It helps to put things in perspective and would eliminate a LITTLE of the speculation.

Celebrity DOES post the split of where your auto-tip dollars go. I wonder why Princess doesn't do the same? It helps to put things in perspective and would eliminate a LITTLE of the speculation.

Carnival Cruises also posts their Tipping Policy..

The Carnival Cruise Lines Service Tips (gratuities) are automatically charged to the guest’s on-board “Sail & Sign” (S&S) account. Follows the breakdown of the tips on Carnival cruises (in USD, per day, per person):

• $3,70 Cabin Services (cabin stewards)
  • $5,80 (MDR) Main Dining Room Services (wait staff)
  • $2,00 Alternative Services (kitchen, entertainment, passenger services, other hotel staff members).

When purchasing alcohol and soda drinks on board, 15% of your bill will be automatically added to the S&S charge. You are free to tip the Room Service staff if you wish so. Your specialty restaurant dinner price (the cost of the Carnival Steakhouse dinner is currently around $35) is inclusive of gratuities, but everyone is more than welcome to add more.

If you’re not satisfied with the level of service you receive while on board, you may contact the “Guest Services” desk on your ship. It’s up to you to adjust the amount of tipping at any time while on board and tips will be deemed undisputed. You should know, that the Carnival service staff on board do not make a salary (their salary per month is around US $80, with about $0,15 an hour) – your gratuities are their salary. On cruise ships “tipping” does not mean “something extra” – it means “salary”.

Carnival Cruises also posts their Tipping Policy..

• $3,70 Cabin Services (cabin stewards)
  • $5,80 (MDR) Main Dining Room Services (wait staff)
  • $2,00 Alternative Services (kitchen, entertainment, passenger services, other hotel staff members).

We called the Passenger Services Desk on one Princess cruise and were given similar breakdown numbers to these.

Ok, I'm going to add confusion, sorry.....

I thought it was only included if booked in Australia and for everyone else they are expected to still pay them?

Under Australian consumer law the price advertised for a product or service must be fully inclusive of all taxes, surcharges, etc. component pricing is not allowed and you can not have compulsory addons that are not able to removed.

This is where that purser discretion comes in to some extent, in that they can reallocate funds to different areas and distribute. As far as I know, the contract rate is not different, but the purser gets some funds to use in a discretionary manner.

I've actually wondered (and I have NO information on this) if this is not the reason UK cruises can be priced higher and have different policies.

I have asked this question many times and never had a response, we are from the UK and are aware that cruises from the Uk have a majority of Brits on board who all remove their tips, let me say we never do, we cruise on Princess ships and follow their "rules" but have still never had an answer to the question do the staff get paid different rates on cruises out of the UK as they do in OZ, if not it must be really tough for them, one day someone will let me know.

Sue

Hi, I posted this on the Alaska forum and they suggested I repost on the Princess board.

I will leave my automatic tip on, but would like to know the correct way to tip in the main dining room or specialty dining? Do you just leave the money on the table or in an envelope with your waiter's name on it? Anytime dining.

Also, since there is no bill, what is the amount that you normally leave? Is it just a feel for the service?

Thanks.:D

You are going to have a great time! Don't be confused - you are being charged for tips AUTOMATICALLY. You do not have to tip "extra" anywhere. When you buy a drink at the bar, a tip is also automatically added. These type of threads are confusing to folks that don't cruise much. Some people will insist you tip more, tell you to take off auto-tips and pay cash, blah, blah, blah . . . But the beauty of the "newer" system is you don't do anything except enjoy your cruise. Leave the tips alone and don't feel ANY pressure to tip more! Oh, and have enough credit on your credit card. :)

As a person who started cruising when the cash tips were given in multiple envelopes, I was initially disturbed by the auto tip process because, well === I was accustomed to the former process. But I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks and I am now liking the newer process.

1) Now that the only meal served in the ""traditional" manner is dinner, breakfast and lunch are at various venues;

2) No need to have to bring sufficient cash for all of the tips onboard and then stand in line at the purser's desk to change the cash to the appropriate denominations. Then count out and prepare each person's share.

3) IMHO, it seems "fair".

I appreciate the info provided on this thread because I think I was able to avoid any unintended consequences. It sounds like additional tips we paid were retained by the staff because our auto tip was paid via the onboard the account.

I was the same way. My Dad showed me how to tip on a cruise many moons ago. Remember the lines to get cash on the day before the cruise ended? (not him - he knew better) It was tradition!

But tips being charged pre-cruise (some lines) and/or daily to your account makes things so much easier. We rarely give cash tips to anyone, and have never removed any tips no matter what. Honestly, if everyone just left it alone it would probably be the best for everyone!

PAM:

As always, thank you for your informative post.

It's nice to have an amount listed that you tipped. It gives people something to compare to.

For years on this forum, I've read about giving extra at the end...but, rarely was the "amount" mentioned.

Most were stated in a way that lead you to believe the tip given at the end was a large amount.

So, were they tipping 20.00 or 100.00 or more?

(Or were they just blowing smoke on CC)

Thank you for giving an honest and helpful tipping suggestion.....gives us an amount to work with and adjust to our personal situations.

I have no idea whether what I tip is low or high. I go by what I feel is appropriate to the service on the specific cruise. There have been times when I haven't tipped the waiter but did tip the Assistant waiter. I've never pre-tipped (or bribed) anyone for the simple reason that I'm not more or less important than the next passenger and any Maitre d' or staff who treats someone differently because they've been bribed doesn't deserve a tip. As a matter of fact, if I see someone being bribed, it goes in my post-cruise comments as I think it's inappropriate. I'm a valued passenger and if I am made to feel as though I have to pay for attention, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

There is no such thing as low or high. It's situational.

I have left a $100 tip on a $20 dinner bill. And also left a $.01 tip on a $20 tab. I have tipped stewards at the beginning, middle and end of cruise, based on my requests (my personal rule of thumb, if I am asking someone to disrupt their routine or do something special I tip then). Also, since we do AD, I may be more likely to tip a server I might not see again, same for bar staff, etc. I've tipped photographers.

But all that is different from the hotel charge (auto-tip). I find the best way to look at it is simply part of the cruise fare that has been broken out separately, NOT as a tip. I then give out tips for service, as it should be.

Unfortunately, Princess can't make the 'hotel charge' mandatory, because then a lot of the benefits are lost.

I have no idea whether what I tip is low or high. I go by what I feel is appropriate to the service on the specific cruise. There have been times when I haven't tipped the waiter but did tip the Assistant waiter. I've never pre-tipped (or bribed) anyone for the simple reason that I'm not more or less important than the next passenger and any Maitre d' or staff who treats someone differently because they've been bribed doesn't deserve a tip. As a matter of fact, if I see someone being bribed, it goes in my post-cruise comments as I think it's inappropriate. I'm a valued passenger and if I am made to feel as though I have to pay for attention, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

Let me try to make it clearer. Even though for various reasons Princess has to call it an auto-tip, I do not consider the hotel charge tipping. I consider it part of the cruise fare that I happen to pay on board. While I suppose I could technically change it if there was an issue, since it would affect so many other people not involved with the issue I never would do so, if I have an issue I take it up with the individual or supervisor until resolved.

I then proceed to tip for exceptional service, just like I would at any other hotel or resort, as if the auto-tip did not exist as a separate charge.

I don't know how yo figure that as it specifically includes that :confused:

I agree 100% Pam. A tip in advance of service is a bribe and inappropriate. Also, no need to tip the MDH as he makes a very good salary and excellent service is part of his job. I was told this by my favorite Princess MDH.

The MDH is not a position I USUALLY tip, but I have done so in exceptional circumstances (for example, I wanted a set of menus on the Island to scan when I got home). I asked the MD (Jacques) at the Chef's table, and that evening a full set of dinner menus was in our cabin. Combine that with other exceptional service and I felt a tip was warranted. He actually protested a little, so I told him to use it to reward some deserving members of his staff if he chose...

I agree 100% Pam. A tip in advance of service is a bribe and inappropriate. Also, no need to tip the MDH as he makes a very good salary and excellent service is part of his job. I was told this by my favorite Princess MDH.

I have never had a maitre d' refuse a tip.

And, I from time-to-time receive exceptional service from a maitre d,

because they remember me from previous cruises. So, the idea

that everyone get the same good-but-equal service isn't right.

As I stated previously on a thread about removing the auto-tips, its just a way of them "cheaping Out". Oh and then they say " I tip the ones that I think deserve it". Well we always leave the tips on, and then tip EXTRA to them personally. They deserve it. They work extremely long hours.

This is what we do also.

In addition, I grab a stack of "You made a difference" cards from the Reception Desk on the first day and fill them out as the cruise progresses for those crew members who have gone above and beyond. These cards go into the crew member's file and are used for review, advancement and inter-crew contests ("employee of the month", etc).

In addition, I grab a stack of "You made a difference" cards from the Reception Desk on the first day and fill them out as the cruise progresses for those crew members who have gone above and beyond. These cards go into the crew member's file and are used for review, advancement and inter-crew contests ("employee of the month", etc).

I have read here how much these are appreciated, and on my

next cruise I am going to remove the auto tips, and hand these

cards out instead.

Also, they are now called "Consumate Host" reccomendation or

something like that.

If warranted I often put my end-of-cruise tips inside those instead and hand them to the person.

This is what we do also.

Let me try to make it clearer. Even though for various reasons Princess has to call it an auto-tip, I do not consider the hotel charge tipping. ...

Well then that would be just your personal opinion and doesn't make anything clearer and confuses folks here trying to figure out what it means.

It isn't like Princess collects the "auto-tip" saying they will distribute it to the staff and then keep it as an extra profit. They collect it as a tip and then distribute that tip to those staff that it was collected for.

Princess specifically outlines exactly how much of the "auto-tip" goes to a number of specific staff including cabin attendants and wait staff. They additionally state specifically that parts of that "auto-tip" are allocated to staff throughout the ship that you don't see. It's good for everyone and makes our life easier.

If you want to drop an extra $100 that's fine for you, but telling folks that something that IS ... isn't doesn't help anyone.

Pam summed it up well - "I go by what I feel is appropriate to the service on the specific cruise."

I have read here how much these are appreciated, and on my

next cruise I am going to remove the auto tips, and hand these

cards out instead.

Also, they are now called "Consumate Host" reccomendation or

something like that.

The rest of us give these IN ADDITION to keeping on the autotips. It still comes down to being cheap if you remove the autotips. You're still stiffing the staff.

I have never understood why there is so much conversation about the tipping. It is pennies compared to what you might tip if you are at a first rate hotel and/or restaurant. I hear people always say why should I tip the dining staff when I eat on the lido deck - dah - because the same people who serve you in the dining room are the same people who work the lido deck so you are being serviced by the staff either way. Like most of the people on this post we always do the autotip and then leave extra for the dining staff and room steward at the end of the cruise since they are the people who provide the majority of service to you each and every day.

I personally have never had a bad experience with any of the staff and always feel bad because I don't have a lot of money so while I do leave extra at the end of the cruise I always wish it were more.

When teaching my children about tipping my thing to them was don't go out and eat if you don't have enough to leave for a tip. I am the same way about hotels and the one that gets me is the people who don't know they should leave a tip at the buffet restaurant - what - who took away all those plates and bought you all those drinks.

Okay, off that soap box - enjoy the cruise you have planned everyone and leave the auto-tip in place - they deserve it.

The rest of us give these IN ADDITION to keeping on the autotips. ...

I was speechless ... thanks for putting it more eloquently than I would have...

Okay' date=' off that soap box ...[/quote']

I didn't see a soap box ;)

We were looking at some of these 90+ day cruises that have been on sale ...

How on earth would you ever adjust to normal life at home after that :eek:

Dud .... where's my breakfast and what do yo mean that I have to make my own bead :confused:

There is no such thing as low or high. It's situational.

I have left a $100 tip on a $20 dinner bill. And also left a $.01 tip on a $20 tab. I have tipped stewards at the beginning, middle and end of cruise, based on my requests (my personal rule of thumb, if I am asking someone to disrupt their routine or do something special I tip then). Also, since we do AD, I may be more likely to tip a server I might not see again, same for bar staff, etc. I've tipped photographers.

But all that is different from the hotel charge (auto-tip). I find the best way to look at it is simply part of the cruise fare that has been broken out separately, NOT as a tip. I then give out tips for service, as it should be.

Unfortunately, Princess can't make the 'hotel charge' mandatory, because then a lot of the benefits are lost.

You left a $100 tip on a $20 dinner bill? Wow, are you mad!

Nope! Of course, there were exceptional circumstances. It was a restaurant where I ate quite often when I worked in the city, during a snowstorm they were the only thing open near the hotel I crashed at. There were like two other customers and I felt bad for the staff which all came in (and pretty much all waited on me) so I left a huge tip.

But it illustrates my point, tips are and always should be situational. If not, they are not really tips, they are service changes - and the two are NOT the same.

Side note - there was a story on my newsreader today where someone left a $400+ tip on a $30 or so check...

You left a $100 tip on a $20 dinner bill? Wow, are you mad!

Archived