tipping

jerry49

Given that I got my information directly from corporate accounting at Princess, I will stand by it. I wish I could quote my source directly, but they are not allowed to talk off-channel and would lose their job over it if I did...

There is noting definitive--only experiences and speculation. Even the post written as policy has personal pronouns in it. I deal in facts, not speculation and experiences--which are not facts.

Well I think you all have answered the question.. As long as they do know if the auto tip is in place I won't worry about it anymore. By the way we always tip more than required auto tip or no because in all our cruises we have never encountered anyone who did not deserve it.

... I don't know why tips are included in AUS but do recall at one time that RCL had mandatory auto tips for UK cruises and that both countries do not have a big tipping culture like some other countries such as the USA.
When visiting my daughter-in-law's family in Europe I had it explained to me that "people are paid an adequate living wage, so there is no need to tip extra, or to leave large tips for excellent service."

The corollary to this is that many service jobs in the USA do not pay a living wage and tips are expected to bring their salary up to an adequate level.

My understanding is the autotip on Princess brings compensation up to an adequate and fair living level for the crew.

There is noting definitive--only experiences and speculation. Even the post written as policy has personal pronouns in it. I deal in facts, not speculation and experiences--which are not facts.

Then, why are you reading cruise critic? You should

focus your attention on the contract of passage on

the princess web site.

Then, why are you reading cruise critic? You should focus your attention on the contract of passage on the princess web site.

I agree & then to figure out which portions of the contract will be strictly enforced.

There are many laws, rules & regulations and enforcement is often discretionary resulting in different experiences on different ships...or even different experiences on the same ship on a different cruises.

The contract has a clause that allows for lots of flexibility on the part of the cruise line (orders of the Captain and Company) - not so much for passengers.

Always remember the contract is their to protect THEM not you.

I agree & then to figure out which portions of the contract will be strictly enforced.

There are many laws, rules & regulations and enforcement is often discretionary resulting in different experiences on different ships...or even different experiences on the same ship on a different cruises.

Only once have we found it necessary to change the auto-tip and that was due to a truly abysmal cabin steward. We went to the pursers desk, explained the situation and his portion was reduced (by 50% and that was being generous). Typically, we tip more to reward exceptional service. We also bring a bunch of singles for additional drink tips.

As for including tips in the price of the cruise, it would only succeed if ALL cruise lines did it. We've seen what happened to Princess' experiment with including taxes and fees for "what you see is what you pay" pricing.

A good point. Keeping the 'hotel charge' as 'optional' does allow it to be modified in those instances where warranted (and it does happen!)

I should also point out that if you are low on paper funds, you can modify the hotel charge UP - but it can only be divided, I don't think you can charge extra tips to an individual..

Only once have we found it necessary to change the auto-tip and that was due to a truly abysmal cabin steward. We went to the pursers desk, explained the situation and his portion was reduced (by 50% and that was being generous). Typically, we tip more to reward exceptional service. We also bring a bunch of singles for additional drink tips.

As for including tips in the price of the cruise, it would only succeed if ALL cruise lines did it. We've seen what happened to Princess' experiment with including taxes and fees for "what you see is what you pay" pricing.

Can I just add that as a Brit who always keeps the auto tips on and are surprised to see the majority of Brits remove them, but I have to say in their defence UK TA's advertise that you can take off the tips and even more shocking my daughter rang Princess UK wanting to pay her tips in advance and was told don't bother most people take them off, I think it is bad that this should come from a Princess employee.

I did ask our cabin steward on our last cruise out of the Uk and he said it was company policy that they were not allowed to discuss it, I was wondering if the wages were adjusted to compensate a cruise out of the UK, never found the answer, though apparently the bar staff love the Europe cruise

Looking forward to seeing Kate name the Royal tomorrow!

I had a poor cabin steward on the Diamond last month. He never came the first day, never introduced himself, didn't have the bathroom products out, the sink stopper was literally green, the shower curtain was a reddish brown half-way up (I've got photos), he delivered my robe to another cabin and insisted it was in mine, consistently delivered my laundry to my sister (who was down the hall with a different last name) and delivered hers to mine. It didn't occur to me to remove the auto-tip because service elsewhere, from the dining room to the buffet to the specialty restaurant were fine. I'm not about to penalize them for one bad apple. My notes regarding the steward went on my post-cruise comments.

I've had absolutely awful stewards on other lines (much, much worse than above) and still never reduced or removed the auto-tip. There are too many behind-the-scenes people who made up for the awful ones.

Then, why are you reading cruise critic? You should

focus your attention on the contract of passage on

the princess web site.

Having a bad day? The information that people want is not included in the cruise contract. Princess is not going to say how tips are divvied up, how they handle it when people turn off autotip or any of the myriad questions people have here. What a Princess employee says in confidence does not provide much in the way of accountability. People get outrageous answers from Princess. I'd give more credence to Pam's comments than anything from Princess.

Hi, I posted this on the Alaska forum and they suggested I repost on the Princess board.

I will leave my automatic tip on, but would like to know the correct way to tip in the main dining room or specialty dining? Do you just leave the money on the table or in an envelope with your waiter's name on it? Anytime dining.

Also, since there is no bill, what is the amount that you normally leave? Is it just a feel for the service?

Thanks.:D

Hi, I posted this on the Alaska forum and they suggested I repost on the Princess board.

I will leave my automatic tip on, but would like to know the correct way to tip in the main dining room or specialty dining? Do you just leave the money on the table or in an envelope with your waiter's name on it? Anytime dining.

Also, since there is no bill, what is the amount that you normally leave? Is it just a feel for the service?

I get envelopes at the Passenger Services Desk. There'll be a box of plain white envelopes right on the desk, no need to wait in line. Since I do Traditional dining, they know who I am but I still put my cabin # on it. I tip extra depending on the length of the cruise, the consistent level of service, and whether the waitstaff (or cabin steward) went out of their way to do something special. I don't use a formula or set amount.

For example, on my 16-night Diamond cruise last month, my cabin steward was sub-par for a lot of reasons and didn't improve during the cruise. So, he got nothing extra. My waitstaff was good and we made several special orders so I gave my waiter $30 and assistant waiter $15.

First still have not been on first cruise. Why do we wait till the end of the cruise to tip? Is it inapproriate to tip by hand each day as quality of service dectates. I like to let service personal know that their service was good each time so they know if the do well they will be tip well. The auto tip is just part of the cost of cruising and will not affect my daily tip. After my rambling the question is why do you wait until the end of the cruise to tip.

Why do you tip at the end of a meal as opposed to when you sit down. The main extra tip should be determined based on the totality of service for the cruise, when the same person is providing the service.

That said, I certainly tip during the cruise if I make special requests or something exceptional happens, or if it is a staff member I don't expect to interact with again or on a regular basis.

First still have not been on first cruise. Why do we wait till the end of the cruise to tip? Is it inapproriate to tip by hand each day as quality of service dectates. I like to let service personal know that their service was good each time so they know if the do well they will be tip well. The auto tip is just part of the cost of cruising and will not affect my daily tip. After my rambling the question is why do you wait until the end of the cruise to tip.

First still have not been on first cruise. ... The auto tip is just part of the cost of cruising and will not affect my daily tip. After my rambling the question is why do you wait until the end of the cruise to tip.

That's your call and you $, BUT the auto-tip isn't just part of the cost of cruising. It and included tip is intended to provide for nominal service for nearly all instances onboard.

That said, in spite of the fact that when tip is included we almost never additional on land, onboard we have almost always included an additional tip.

To answer you original question ... because that is the way it has been done historically.

Thanks.:D

Which is really the way it should be anyway.

Person A orders a $10 steak

Person B orders a $20 steak

Server takes orders both steaks at the same time same amount of work and effort.

Server delivers both steaks at the same time same amount of work and effort.

Why on earth should person B pay twice as much in TIPS than person A for the exact same service.:eek:

The way that tipping used to be handled (at least on our Carnival cruises and the first Princess cruise or so): you will be given envelopes and on the last day, you will fill them with cash with the crew members hoping that you follow the guidelines (the suggested amounts for your cabin steward and your dining room staff would be listed in the ship's newsletter as well as on your pre-cruise pamphlet that used to be mailed along with your cruise docs). Undoubtedly there were many who would avoid going to the dining room on the last night in order to avoid handing over a tip envelope.

When flexible dining was introduced, the autotip was also introduced. This way, all the wait staff (whether they worked in the traditional or anytime dining room, as well as those who worked in other venues such as the buffet) would share in the tipping pool. Same with cabin stewards (who are in their tipping pool with those who work behind the scenes to aid them).

When you get your folio at the end of the cruise (you can always view this during the cruise -- there are now kiosks by the passenger services desk at which you swipe your cabin card and you get your charges; each one in the cabin would have to do this separately too), you'll see a hotel charge placed on your account each night -- that's the daily autotip. So in essence, the tips aren't paid just at the end of the cruise.

In terms of any cash tips you would like to pay, in addition to the autotips, you can do that at any time, but many of us do this at the end of the cruise. Some people do this at the beginning with their cabin steward (I guess they want to make sure their ice bucket is always filled or other requests honored, but many of us find that the really excellent cabin stewards will do a great job without this "pre-tip).

Even when we were "stuck" with anytime dining a couple of cruises ago (we didn't care for it at all, but that's another thread), we didn't tip at the end of the meal (I did see a couple of "green" handshakes by fellow diners), but we certainly kept on our autotips, so in essence we tipped them.

When we've had some excellent service, whether throughout the cruise, or an one-time nicety, we'll note down the name of the crew member and then grab one of those cards, now known as the "consummate host" cards, at the passenger services desk, fill in the name/work station/country for the crew member and give back to the desk. These cards will go in the personnel folder so that it might help the crew member get a raise or promotion.

If you want the crew member to beam, ask them to write down their info and tell them it's because you want to fill out one of those cards.

• 2 weeks later...

As a person who started cruising when the cash tips were given in multiple envelopes, I was initially disturbed by the auto tip process because, well === I was accustomed to the former process. But I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks and I am now liking the newer process.

1) Now that the only meal served in the ""traditional" manner is dinner, breakfast and lunch are at various venues;

2) No need to have to bring sufficient cash for all of the tips onboard and then stand in line at the purser's desk to change the cash to the appropriate denominations. Then count out and prepare each person's share.

3) IMHO, it seems "fair".

I appreciate the info provided on this thread because I think I was able to avoid any unintended consequences. It sounds like additional tips we paid were retained by the staff because our auto tip was paid via the onboard the account.

Having a bad day?

Not at all. I only read cruise critic for humor, and I appreciate

your contribution.

You say you want facts, but you apparently you want opinion.

What is posted here are people's opinions. Enjoy.

I have asked this question at the pursers desk on our last cruise but really did not get a satisfactory answer. If we leave the auto gratuity in place do the cabinn stewards and waiters know this? I tend to be afraid they will think we stffed them if I don't tip in person. So we always remove it and tip personally on the last night. Besides I think stewards and waiters deserve the bulk of the gratuities.

There is no definitive answer, it's a trade secret. Just do what you feel comfortable with and don't worry about what anyone else does or thinks.

Its not a trade secret. Princess has a standard policy, however head pursers do have the latitude to modify them based on conditions on the ground, er sea.

There is no definitive answer, it's a trade secret. Just do what you feel comfortable with and don't worry about what anyone else does or thinks.

Archived