An Ex-Carnival Customer

sonicbuffalo

When other cruise lines are chopping rates it is also because that sailing isn't selling.

This is basic business.

Good grief.

The fact is that CCL has many ships with prices dropping. Other lines do NOT.

Look at the price drops here that everyone is thrilled over: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863841

Do you think CCL is happy that they have had to resort to this????

Please :rolleyes:

Why disparage Carnival when all cruise lines are doing the same thing Carnival is doing ??

Why would you say those who book at low prices cannot afford cruising at higher rates.

quote]

Beachdude in no way stated what you state. You certainly have a predisposition for turning other peoples words around to suit your views.

This is word for word from the post I was referring to.

"is the first time customer demographic they are attracting with their super low prices cannot afford cruising at higher rates."

Perhaps your comprehension skills are waning. Maybe someone can explain it to you. Now, try bouncing back into the real world and find yourself another person to harass.

Because he was referring to a specific demographic and not the many other cruisers who opt to book low priced cruises for different reasons and not because they can't afford higher priced cruises. I can afford higher priced cruises but that would mean only 2 or 3 cruises a year as opposed to lower priced cruises and cruise 5 or 6 times a year. Again he was referring to a particular demographic, not the many other cruises who prefer the lower priced cruises...Again your comprehension skills are either lacking or they are intentional. Harassing you? I am sorry you feel that way, pointing the finger of comprehension by using the 'harass card'. I do hope someone can explain it to me, must be missing something...

If Carnival would go to some new eastern or southern Caribbean ports, we would consider them again. We've pretty much exhausted all the ports on that side and don't want to go to Alaska or Europe on a sailing.

Hi sonicbuffalo

your fellow neighbor here (Raleigh area)...and I was in the same boat as you (recent Carnival cruises---wanted something new/different).

Just returned from Alaska on Princess....loved the itinerary/scenery and the ship/cruiseline. Granted we had fabulous sunny weather the entire trip - but I would give Alaska a shot one day. I have another Princess scheduled in January....may do the Breeze in Jan 2015....and then go from there with either giving NCL or Celebrity a shot...or on another Princess cruise if all goes well on the Crown. I loved the Sapphire --- and enjoyed the overall Princess experience.

Take care

John in NC

Well that is certianly your opinion, but you keep missing the point of the discussion, the "fact" is CCLs business plan is to corner the market on first time cruisers. And of course the idea is creating repat customers, but that is secondary to Carnivals plan of hooking them first. And if Carnival keeps their rates the same, why wouldn't they come back. Look how many folks on this forum are repeat cruisers even after all the reductions of their product.

The problem Carnival is creating now is the first time customer demographic they are attracting with their super low prices cannot afford cruising at higher rates. And Carnival cannot hold these crazy cheap rates down very long. They know it, they see it, do they have a plan?

Burt

The problem with that business plan is they blew their reputation as a reliable cruise line. I recall threads on CC dedicated to responses CCers got when they told friends and family they were cruising Carnival. Most of those responses were incredulous and in some cases fear for the safety of the cruiser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahhhh now it all makes sense to me. I was trying to figure out why it seemed like so many were making money back on "price drops" for their cruises, while my trip was going up. So I guess what you are saying is that my Victory cruise this July is almost sold out? Makes sense.

Also newly open itineraries will start out lower....then they go up as people start booking.

What is a tell-tale sign of how a ship is selling is as time gets closer to the sail date, are the rates going up or is the bottom dropping out on them???

ahhhh now it all makes sense to me. I was trying to figure out why it seemed like so many were making money back on "price drops" for their cruises, while my trip was going up. So I guess what you are saying is that my Victory cruise this July is almost sold out? Makes sense.

Absolutely.

If a cruise is selling, why the heck would they drop the rate???? That would be utterly stupid right??

Supply/demand.

If the demand is strong, they are not going to drop the rate.

We also need to remember that CCL has more ships than the other lines, therefore, more options/cabins to book. But as several have pointed out, other lines are also dropping prices. I am bombarded by Emails from RCI and NCL daily, far more than ones I get from CCL.

Actually, there are some pretty good deals out there right now.

If Carnival would go to some new eastern or southern Caribbean ports, we would consider them again. We've pretty much exhausted all the ports on that side and don't want to go to Alaska or Europe on a sailing. We'd go to Europe on a land based vacation...and we've sailed on the Breeze (see review) and the Dream, so we've been on Carnival's newest. The Miracle was a great old ship and we've been on her twice. We mainly go for new ports with the exception of our next 2 cruises. We found the 11 day NCL cruise a great deal considering it is an 11 day cruise. For now though, we have moved on from Carnival. We really had some memorable cruises with them for sure!

I highly encourage Alaska- the first time in my 20s and second on my 40th birthday- it's one of those jaw dropping experiences that words or pictures can't describe. Excited to see your review of the Breeze- just booked for August- since I live in Florida I'm taking advantage but plan to move to the Pacific Northwest when I can.

As far as original post, I enjoy Carnival for the price and closeness but I do love Princess too. Disney can't be beat for the liberal carry on alcohol policy and free soda- with amazing adults only areas and great private island but it's an expensive luxury. I say pick the best itinerary for the money and departure port that makes most sense for you- as Carnival and others change schedules and ports you may come back. If more options for RCI sailed out of Port Canaveral and they dropped their prices a bit I would try them out too.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Anyone on this thread actually booking these deals are just debating about them. If so which one?.

!

No deals on anything I want to cruise.

The only advertised sale I got in the mail was for CCL...past cruiser special. Up to $200 OBC.

No interest.

NCL is having their DASH sale (this happens often. I still find my best deals with them booking FAR out. If I can book a DASH sale, at least 18 months out, it is truly a deal)

RCI had a great sale and I missed it by two days. That was a bummer...but booked it anyway.

Because the cruise wound up cancelled and compensation was pretty awesome...I actually wound up ahead of the game on this one.

Both NCL and RCI have sales. Usually they are ones that last 3 days and there are 3 to 6 months in betwen these sales but they have them consistantly. Usually they involve good OBC too.

When I find good deals on other lines I will book with them.

I have been on 4 NCL cruises and have one booked on Celebrity this January.

I also have Carnival Cruises booked for this October and next October.

I am loyal to myself and my budget.

I enjoy the differences of the other lines and it is nice to have change.

No cruise line is ever loyal to any cruiser, so why should you limit yourself to just one?

Until they offend me personaly, I have no reason to avoid any cruise line either.

:D

Archived