Free shuttles?

sjde

The brochure I received in the mail today says Oceania has free shuttles " from port to city center in many ports of call. " They can't mean places like Livorno (to Florence) or Civitavecchia (to Rome), can they?

If there is a shuttle provided in port is it always free? I tried looking for this information on Oceania's website but couldn't find it!

Thanks

They will have tours like Bruges on your own or other such ports

They will drop you in the city & pick you up at specific times these are NOT free

Look under the excursion lists

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/exploreashore/default.aspx

There is not list for the free shuttles by Oceania & no list for the shuttles provided by the Port authorities

You will find out once on the ship

They will have tours like Bruges on your own or other such ports

They will drop you in the city & pick you up at specific times these are NOT free

Look under the excursion lists

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/exploreashore/default.aspx

There is not list for the free shuttles by Oceania & no list for the shuttles provided by the Port authorities

You will find out once on the ship

Thanks for your reply. I realise that tours like do Bruges on your own wont be free. However I was wondering if Oceania was like Azamara in that where they provide a simple shuttle bus to the centre of the nearest town it was free. From what you are saying it appears there is a charge.

Thanks for your reply. I realise that tours like do Bruges on your own wont be free. However I was wondering if Oceania was like Azamara in that where they provide a simple shuttle bus to the centre of the nearest town it was free. From what you are saying it appears there is a charge.

IF they provide a shuttle to town it will be free (usually just a short distance)

The port authority may also provide a free shuttle

You will not really know which ports they are until you arrive unless someone has recent experience with that port & Oceania

... that where they provide a simple shuttle bus to the centre of the nearest town it was free. From what you are saying it appears there is a charge.

Well worded question. The simple shuttle bus the to centre of the port town is free. The drop off point may be near a train or a bus stop where from on-your-own travels can be made. Or a simple walk-about.

... From what you are saying it appears there is a charge.

As LTH28 replied, other than those 'simple free to the centre of the port town shuttles', O's bus to a nearby city (or not so near such a Rome or Florence) like many other cruise lines, is offered as a purchased service and can be seen on their website under Excursions.

So if you see a bus transport offered under Excursions you know there will not be a free 'shuttle' bus to that town as well.

Example, there is a free shuttle bus in Livorno to town (Livorno) where one can take a city bus to the train station and travel on to Florence or Pisa or Lucca ...) but O also sells a bus transportation from ship-side to Florence and back.

There is a somewhat on-going list of ports where there are provided shuttles.

If the URI below does not work search this board for 'free shuttles list' in the title.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1466724&highlight=shuttle+list

It would be helpful to others wondering the same as you if upon return from your cruise you post updated information on the ports you visited. That would refresh the post to the top of the board as well.

Thanks LHT28 and YoHoHo for your replies I am now clear. I appreciate that it is a guessing game as to which ports shuttles are provided, it is similar with Azamara although in our experience if we weren't docked within walking distance of the nearest town a shuttle was provided. I'm guessing Oceania are the same. I know other lines charge for this and in the past Azamara did also!

Archived