Allure Photos - A different perspective.

Which lenses do you use?

using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

All these pictures were taken with an 8mm ultra-wide fisheye on my Canon 7D. The lens is made by Samyang but is also sold under the Bower and Rokinon label (and maybe more). The lens is made with a variety of mounts so you can buy it for Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. The lens is fully manual, there is no electrical connection between it and the camera, you must set the aperture & focus manually. The camera will, however, still meter correctly for aperture-priority or manual mode. Because of the lens length focus is less of an issue because the depth of field is so great.

Thank you.....that sunrise/sunset is just beautiful. My favorite pics are of sunrises and sunsets. Other pics are great too. Just wish I could take pictures that are that good. I just have a point and shoot camera. I think my cell phone takes better pics than my camera......:p

Gwen :)

Thank you.....that sunrise/sunset is just beautiful. My favorite pics are of sunrises and sunsets. Other pics are great too. Just wish I could take pictures that are that good. I just have a point and shoot camera. I think my cell phone takes better pics than my camera......:p

Well, honestly, none of these pictures are raw out of the camera. I use Adobe Lightroom to align, crop, adjust exposure, add gradients, tweek contrast and saturation, bring up the lowlights, tone down the highlights, etc.

BTW that was sunrise in Ft Lauderdale on the last morning.

Well, honestly, none of these pictures are raw out of the camera. I use Adobe Lightroom to align, crop, adjust exposure, add gradients, tweek contrast and saturation, bring up the lowlights, tone down the highlights, etc.

BTW that was sunrise in Ft Lauderdale on the last morning.

Too much work for me......:p But, I am glad you do that. It really is amazing how you can do all those things to pictures to bring them to life. Makes me and others so very grateful. Pictures are just awesome.

I remember a thread, long ago, where people came on to post their favorite pictures from cruises. Don't know what happened to that thread, but I loved it.

PS: Feel free to post pictures anytime you want to. ;)

Thanks,

OMG! I LOVE the fish eye photos. I am going on the Allure in January and am definitely getting a new lens. I just wish I was a better photographer :(

Do you use Lightroom for the HDR photos? I used to have software for that but lost it last time my computer crashed. From what I remember, I had to take three separate photos using a tripod with different exposures and then use the software to combine them. Is it still that complicated? I use a Canon T1i.

OMG! I LOVE the fish eye photos. I am going on the Allure in January and am definitely getting a new lens. I just wish I was a better photographer :(

Do you use Lightroom for the HDR photos? I used to have software for that but lost it last time my computer crashed. From what I remember, I had to take three separate photos using a tripod with different exposures and then use the software to combine them. Is it still that complicated? I use a Canon T1i.

I use Photomatix. You can take use more than three photos you just need them to be different exposure values. No tripod is necessary as long as the photos are close to one another the software can align the photos. I don't do a lot of HDR, sometimes it looks to fake or cartoonish, but every so often you get a good one or a really artistic one.

I use Photomatix. You can take use more than three photos you just need them to be different exposure values. No tripod is necessary as long as the photos are close to one another the software can align the photos. I don't do a lot of HDR, sometimes it looks to fake or cartoonish, but every so often you get a good one or a really artistic one.

Photomatix! That's what I used to have. Learned my lesson, that downloading the software and not backing it up is BAD. Still, I suppose there have been some good updates in the past few years. I might as well purchase the latest/greatest.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all your fault!!!!

I downloaded photomatix last week, and tomorrow I will be placing an order with B&H photo for my new Rokinon fisheye lens. I'd be ordering it today, but they're closed on Saturdays.

For your beautiful night shots on the ship, did you use a tripod? I'm thinking of taking one with me on my Allure cruise. I figure as long as I'm not carrying it about when the ship is crowded, it won't be in anyone's way. I'll do what you did and just schedule photo time when everyone else is sleeping :D

WhiteSoxFan,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Really enjoyed looking through them!

I was looking at the pictures in your Picasa album, and wanted to ask who you toured with in St. Maarten. We're on Oasis in July, and I'd like to take a tour that visits Marigot and Orient Beach. Used Bernard's in the past, but we want more time in Marigot. How much time did you have there? I see you made it up to the fort, so I thought maybe you had more time than the typical 30-45 minutes most tours provide there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived