Ephesus Evening reception

Chairsin

• 3 weeks later...
No they do not offer it from izmir...only from Kusadasi and has to be a late sail of 11:00pm...otherwise not offered at all.

I'm scheduled on SB to sail on Sep 7th, and it's planned to stop on Izmir on the 9th (from 8 am to 11 pm). We are planning a private day tour to Ephesus, but I'm concerned about being back on time to catch the Ephesus private concert arranged by SB. One alternative was to book SB's tour that might consider the return time.

Does anybody know at what time SB schedules the departure for the Ephesus concert?

Reading your post, I'm surprised to hear that if the port of call is Izmir, there will be no concert, that is somewhat disappointing. Does anybody has a firm confirmation of this? And in this case what is planned for the evening?

Yes, wripro is correct. I emailed SB and they said the evening event in Ephesus is only from Kusadasi. They also indicated they hoped to deploy the marina a few times during the cruise weather permitting. We are also on that cruise. The odyssey is currently doing the same cruise and left Izmir a couple of days ago, maybe someone on that cruise will read the thread and comment if anything else occurred, or whether it was just a usual night and a late depart.

Which company are you planning to use for the Ephesus tour.

Yes, wripro is correct. I emailed SB and they said the evening event in Ephesus is only from Kusadasi. They also indicated they hoped to deploy the marina a few times during the cruise weather permitting. We are also on that cruise. The odyssey is currently doing the same cruise and left Izmir a couple of days ago, maybe someone on that cruise will read the thread and comment if anything else occurred, or whether it was just a usual night and a late depart.

Which company are you planning to use for the Ephesus tour.

Hi ab21au, thanks for your feedback!

It's good to know that we'll be on the same cruise, are you doing it until Piraeus or all the way to Venice?

The company I booked the Ephesus tour is Ephesus Shuttle, highly recommended on CC. Following is the link to their web page:

http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/Private-Tours/Izmir-to-Ephesus/7

I chose the private Tour 4 with the added terrace houses. Overall it's the same cost as with SB, but this covers much more and it's a private one, and doesn't include the "carpet demonstration".

Regards and looking forward to see you there.

Erwin

The vendors in Kusadasi are among the most aggressive I have ever seen but if you firmly tell them no they will leave you alone.

Couldn't agree more. I'm sorry we didn't go back to the ship after the Ephesus ship tour and skip the carpet bit but we thought it rude not to. Big mistake. After the demonstration we went downstairs to leave only to be LOCKED IN. Six people surrounded us and tried to sell us jewellery while the seventh blocked the door. Far too intimidating for me. We asked them to unlocked the door and they refused. Got a bit scary tbh. A few couples on our tour shortly came downstairs and they tried the same with them. Things ended up getting a bit hot and heavy and eventually they RELEASED us. We are back on Seabourn next month and stopping at Kusadasi however we will be spending the day in the SPA. Oh and the other couples mentioned the incident to the cruise tours staff and they thought it was funny!!!

Couldn't agree more. I'm sorry we didn't go back to the ship after the Ephesus ship tour and skip the carpet bit but we thought it rude not to. Big mistake. After the demonstration we went downstairs to leave only to be LOCKED IN. Six people surrounded us and tried to sell us jewellery while the seventh blocked the door. Far too intimidating for me. We asked them to unlocked the door and they refused. Got a bit scary tbh. A few couples on our tour shortly came downstairs and they tried the same with them. Things ended up getting a bit hot and heavy and eventually they RELEASED us. We are back on Seabourn next month and stopping at Kusadasi however we will be spending the day in the SPA. Oh and the other couples mentioned the incident to the cruise tours staff and they thought it was funny!!!

Kusadasi is nice enough to walk around ... just don't go in any of the carpet shops and ignore the people trying to get you to go in. The shopping area is a bit touristy but the walk along the front is quite nice

Hepf, we have booked Ertunga for our tour but it was a toss up, Ephesus shuttle has so many good reports also. It seems you can have the same guide no matter who you book with as many of the guides are freelance for many companies. Are you going to Venice or Athens. (We are to Venice)

Hepf, we have booked Ertunga for our tour but it was a toss up, Ephesus shuttle has so many good reports also. It seems you can have the same guide no matter who you book with as many of the guides are freelance for many companies. Are you going to Venice or Athens. (We are to Venice)

Hi ab21au, we are going to Venice as well, looking forward for this great experience and to be able to meet you.

Regards.

Erwin

Archived