Ephesus Evening reception

Chairsin

I just noticed something interesting yesterday when leafing through my Preliminary Cruise package from Seabourn for our Sept. 6 Quest cruise -- under shore excursions this event is listed with a dollar sign. Does this mean it is no longer a complimentary Seabourn event? Has anyone noticed this in their cruise documents this year?

I just noticed something interesting yesterday when leafing through my Preliminary Cruise package from Seabourn for our Sept. 6 Quest cruise -- under shore excursions this event is listed with a dollar sign. Does this mean it is no longer a complimentary Seabourn event? Has anyone noticed this in their cruise documents this year?

Never noticed it until you mentioned it now; however I double checked for you here onboard and it is a complimentary event subject to first come first serve. I suggest that you get your tickets once you board just in case on embarkation day if you really want to participate in this event.

WOW -- you are doing great field research for us -- hope you are finding time to enjoy your cruise. Seriously, thanks for the clarification. We have actually done it twice before -- once many years ago when it was not a complimentary event and there were just a dozen of us and a second time with the whole ship. It is a special event -- we may just do it again -- third time's a charm?

Hi Chairsin,

When do you receive cruise info? We depart istanbul on the 7th Sept, should we receive some cruise info soon? Is your cruise going to Kusadasi or Izmir as ours. Others in our party have mentioned the Ephesus event but I have told them I don't know if it always happens. Hope it does for us also, we do depart at 11pm so fingers crossed. AB

it is really wonderful: champagne and tapas-type goodies, white tablecloths and a string quintet while gazing at the Library completely alight. It would be a shame not to take part--and all it costs you is time.

Hi Chairsin,

When do you receive cruise info? We depart istanbul on the 7th Sept, should we receive some cruise info soon? Is your cruise going to Kusadasi or Izmir as ours. Others in our party have mentioned the Ephesus event but I have told them I don't know if it always happens. Hope it does for us also, we do depart at 11pm so fingers crossed. AB

If you have a late sail at 11:00pm then it will be held.

If you're going to do it use the online booking page in the Already Booked section. As it's free there won't be any charge and you can book it and be sure of going any time you like rather than wait until you sail. I doubt they'd turn anyone anyway but when we did it on Quest last October there were people on our table at Ephesus who claimed they nearly didn't make it on the tour as it was booked out. Maybe they put on another bus, maybe they were exaggerating.

A word to the wise - it might not be at the Library as you are on a larger ship, but rather in or near the amphitheatre. Not quite as atmospheric, but still worth doing. We have done it at the Library from Seadream, and from the amphitheatre on Silversea (one of the ships holding about 300 passengers).

If you're going to do it use the online booking page in the Already Booked section. As it's free there won't be any charge and you can book it and be sure of going any time you like rather than wait until you sail. I doubt they'd turn anyone anyway but when we did it on Quest last October there were people on our table at Ephesus who claimed they nearly didn't make it on the tour as it was booked out. Maybe they put on another bus, maybe they were exaggerating.

Great advice, thank you. I read your post 5 minutes ago, went directly to the already booked page and signed up for July 19th. Yes, it is still complimentary.

Yes, it is special to walk along the stone road at night flanked by young men and women in costume holding torches. I enjoyed it more the first time when there were fewer of us -- the second time with the whole ship there were many people who talked loudly during the music( Izmir Quintet). So we will go again and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys classical music -- the atmosphere makes the music sound even better. Bucaneer yes, thank you mentioning the online booking -- since I don't usually do tours with Seabourn I might not have paid attention to that. Lincslady, thanks for the warning about the possible venue change.

ab21au -- We just received our Preliminary Package( beige book with all of the tour info) earlier this week for our Sept 6 departure. You may want to check with your TA to see if he/she has it.

Here is how it was last September ...

The layout of the concert grounds (used for the larger ships) was a bit of an awkward shape ... a long, but fairly wide, rectangle with the stage halfway down the longer side of the rectangle. Therefore if you would like to look directly at the performance (rather than a side view) make sure you're on one of the first buses leaving the dock for Ephesus.

A nice tray of nuts and olives was served to each table and a choice of red or white Turkish wine. The wine was different but in a good way, and refills were available at intermission. We had a grand "welcome home" celebration when we returned to the dock.

It's also important to note that you will not be allowed to wander around the ruins during intermission. We got as far as the "break (e.g. smoking)" area used by the musicians before we were turned back. If you have never been to Ephesus, make a point to book a private guide for a proper tour earlier in the day. Unless you enjoy heat and crowds, a half-day tour is best - just make sure to include the Terrace Houses. The ruins of Ephesus make others pale in comparison.

Hi johnnycruise,

Did you dock at Kusadasi or Izmir? Do you know if SB have the same event from Izmir (further to travel).

No they do not offer it from izmir...only from Kusadasi and has to be a late sail of 11:00pm...otherwise not offered at all.

Thanks zorro, we have an 11pm depart so perhaps something else. Have read about deck BBQ etc.

They might have "Dancing Under the Stars" with dessert buffet or even Rock the Boat on that specific night. The deck BBQ's are only on the small ships for the time being.

I have a feeling that large groups are now put somewhere outside the amphitheatre, whereas when we went with Silversea some years ago it was inside, and we sat on the steps of the amphitheatre itself. I read subsequently that the authorities were worried about the state of the amphitheatre, and that that was the reason for the change. Someone might know more about this. Certainly it was quite atmospheric, though not so intimate as the Library.

Yes, the library lit up at night with a chamber ensemble playing is quite atmospheric.Last time we were there Seabourn did something we found rather strange. They planned on having a deck BBQ when we returned just before 10PM from Ephesus. The weather turned windy and so at the last minute they changed plans and set up dinner in the Restaurant.So at 10PM the Restaurant was flooded with 200 hungry, cold and tired people at one time. But as things often go with Seabourn they handled it beautifully. I told my husband it reminded me of a well choreographed ballet -- everyone just glided around and got everyone fed quickly with not a single dropped tray. I know they are now smart enough to plan an early dinner that evening instead.

They just delivered a paper flyer to the suites announcing the Complimentary Evening Gala Event in Kusadasi on June 16th at 7:00pm. Classical Music in a Unique Setting in Ephesus..(they show pictures of the amphitheartre).

I have done the event twice. Not sure that I would do it again. While the setting is wonderful, I think I would just wander around the site. I am more of a Led Zeppelin guy than a classical music one. :D

I would only do it again if I were sailing on a triplet and the event was in the library. Makes all the difference in the world.

I would tend to agree with Henry. I won't be attending this week if it's in the amphitheartre.

The concert for the Odyssey was not held "in" the amphitheatre but rather with the amphitheatre as a backdrop (though not behind the musicians, more to the left of them).

I don't think there is enough space in front of the library for the larger ships' full capacity of guests. And although not as memorable as when it's held in front of the library, the concert is still a wonderful Seabourn experience for those who've never seen it.

The concert for the Odyssey was not held "in" the amphitheatre but rather with the amphitheatre as a backdrop (though not behind the musicians, more to the left of them).

I don't think there is enough space in front of the library for the larger ships' full capacity of guests. And although not as memorable as when it's held in front of the library, the concert is still a wonderful Seabourn experience for those who've never seen it.

Yes, this confirms my post no. 17. Inside the amphitheatre was enjoyable - I don't think I would go to the new venue unless I had not done this excursion before, when I definitely would. I certainly would go again if in the Library.

When we were there in April '12, we were told that the amphitheater was closed to concerts. Apparently some of the louder amplified rock concerts they had there did some damage to the stones (sound waves causing movement). I don't think we were even allowed to go into the amphitheater itself due to the repairs. I don't think this would apply to the type of concert Seabourn has there. From pictures I can see where they could set up in front of the amphitheater. I'm not sure I'd want to sit in the actual amphitheater for a couple of hours....the stones wouldn't be very comfortable.

We were on the Legend so our concert was in front of the Library, full moon, absolutely beautiful. Got eaten alive by mosquitos and kept thinking to myself that one of the reasons Ephesus was abandon was malaria. An unforgettable experience.

Archived