BookSafe Travel Protection or 3rd party travel insurance?

niskyne

We are in the process of booking our first cruise, an Alaskan cruise for July of this year. The idea of travel insurance sounds like something that we definitely want, but we are not sure which one to use.

Should we use the Norwegian BookSafe Travel Protection or a 3rd party like TravelGuard.com? If a third party is preferred, do we purchase the insurance right after we book the cruise?

This will be our first cruise so we are trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

You will find that just about everyone here says to go with a third party. YOu then have to ask yourself what you are insuring yourself for. Many buy insurance but do not really know what is and what is not covered.

Booked recently for the Norwegian Dawn through one of the larger online Travel Agency's. The OTA has a "contract" with Travel Guard. The coverage has 100% cancellation refund . Last year we went through InsureMyTrip.com Many cruisers use them as well. Just a vote for Independent Insurance-although we have never had to use it.

Garry

Compare the coverage and cost. It is the only way to tell whether rhe cruiseline policy fits your needs. If you are spending time before or after your cruise you may be better served with 3rd party so it will cover your entire vacation not just the cruise portion.

I use Insure My Trip and it gives you many options in a side by side comparison. They are very easy to deal with.

3rd party - cheaper and better coverage. If you don't need a pre-existing waiver, you can get it any time before you make your final payment. You can purchase it after final payment, but it will be more money. If you do need the pre-existing waiver, you need to purchase it within 14 days of your deposit.

Be sure to check the terms of the medical coverage of whatever policy you purchase.

Most I've seen will cover your medical transportation to the nearest hospital. If you are cruising in the Caribbean near Aruba for example, they would transport you to the hospital in Aruba.

If your condition requires extended hospitalization and you wanted to be near your home, it would be up to you for the cost of medical transportation - which could be big bucks.

In addition to Travel Insurance, I purchase Mecidal Evacuation Insurance (from MedJet Assist).

Each person needs to determine their own level of risk and whether/how much coverage they need. Just be sure to read and understand whatever coverage you buy.

Be sure to check the terms of the medical coverage of whatever policy you purchase.

Most I've seen will cover your medical transportation to the nearest hospital. If you are cruising in the Caribbean near Aruba for example, they would transport you to the hospital in Aruba.

If your condition requires extended hospitalization and you wanted to be near your home, it would be up to you for the cost of medical transportation - which could be big bucks.

In addition to Travel Insurance, I purchase Mecidal Evacuation Insurance (from MedJet Assist).

Each person needs to determine their own level of risk and whether/how much coverage they need. Just be sure to read and understand whatever coverage you buy.

Some of those policies are so hard to understand though!

Thanks for the advice! You guys/gals are great here!

We will be going with a 3rd party travel insurance. We just want peace of mind just in case we have to cancel last minute, or if delays for flight happens, etc.

We're looking forward to our first cruise!

• 1 year later...
Booked recently for the Norwegian Dawn through one of the larger online Travel Agency's. The OTA has a "contract" with Travel Guard. The coverage has 100% cancellation refund . Last year we went through InsureMyTrip.com Many cruisers use them as well. Just a vote for Independent Insurance-although we have never had to use it.

Garry

This brings up a point that probably most people never think about. I had a similar situation with a TA who contracted with TG. It was offered at a discounted rate, so I took it. I knew what the TA's cancellation policy was, but I never thought to ask what the cancellation policy was for the insurance.

We ended up canceling the cruise, many months prior to final payment, and I was surprised to learn that TG would not refund the premium, but instead would apply it as a credit toward a rebooked or new cruise. Luckily, we eventually rebooked a cruise ( with another TA ), but then I had to contact TG directly, get a quote and then have them apply the credit. We could perhaps at that time have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but TG had our money, so we had to go with them.

So, it is not always as easy as a simple refund to your CC. Be sure to ask what a 100% refund means. It could be in the form of a credit.

Edited by punkincc

This brings up a point that probably most people never think about. I had a similar situation with a TA who contracted with TG. It was offered at a discounted rate, so I took it. I knew what the TA's cancellation policy was, but I never thought to ask what the cancellation policy was for the insurance.

We ended up canceling the cruise, many months prior to final payment, and I was surprised to learn that TG would not refund the premium, but instead would apply it as a credit toward a rebooked or new cruise. Luckily, we eventually rebooked a cruise ( with another TA ), but then I had to contact TG directly, get a quote and then have them apply the credit. We could perhaps at that time have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but TG had our money, so we had to go with them.

So, it is not always as easy as a simple refund to your CC. Be sure to ask what a 100% refund means. It could be in the form of a credit.

This is the way it is

I fully understand that the premium is non refundable should I cancel the cruise

This is why some wait to buy Insurance

I personally buy it within days if initial booking knowing fully well that should I cancel the trip the premium is non refundable

Just one of the many expenses we choose to pay regardless of cost

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have always used Travel Guard. Our next cruise was $2489.00 for the cabin, $789 for flights and $179 for one night hotel before cruise. I think the insurance was $97 for the two of us, covers 100% of the the trip, 50K ? for medical Evac. Not sure of the rest of the details.

As far as travel insurance premiums being refundable, I know for sure that Travelguard will refund the premium within a short amount of time after purchasing it. I just can't remember if it's 14 or 21 days. After that though, the premiums are not refundable but they will give you a voucher for a future trip. There is a time limit that you must use it in though. I think it's 2 years. I know someone who booked a cruise and Travelguard insurance. Cancelled the cruise a week later and the insurance premium was refunded. I also know of someone who cancelled a cruise about 25 days after buying Travelguard insurance and they got the voucher for a future trip.

I always research policies on insuremytrip dot com. My coverage preferences depend on where I am going. As my parents are older, I always buy to cover pre-existing conditions.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here we go again....

Pre existing only refers to the travelers.... Not their elderly relatives left at home

So unless you,the traveler, have a pre existing condition OR your parents have a pre existing condition AND are traveling with you AND are buying a travel insurance policy as well, then the pre existing waiver is useful.

However

IF

You are concerned about having to cancel due to your non traveling parents illness .... Then pre existing means nothing to you as pre existing only refers to the travel party not stay at home ill immediate relatives

The part of YOUR insurance that counts is the coverage that will pay for you to fly back in the sad event that your parent is gravely ill.....or worse. Or if your parents illness is very very close to terminal and your doctor vouches for this fact

So bottom line buy the pre existing coverage for you and YOUR personal health concerns NOT because you have elderly non traveling immediate relatives with their own health concerns

Edited by luvtheships
  • Like 1

Here we go again....

Pre existing only refers to the travelers.... Not their elderly relatives left at home

So unless you,the traveler, have a pre existing condition OR your parents have a pre existing condition AND are traveling with you AND are buying a travel insurance policy as well, then the pre existing waiver is useful.

However

IF

You are concerned about having to cancel due to your non traveling parents illness .... Then pre existing means nothing to you and unfortunately...as pre existing only refers to the travel party not stay at home ill immediate relatives

The part of YOUR insurance that counts is the coverage that will pay for you to fly back in the sad event that your parent is gravely ill.....or worse.

Thanks for the condescending tone....but that is what I am talking about and I was stating my opinion. And yes, I do clearly read the fine print of the coverage to ensure I know what I am purchasing.

Thanks for the condescending tone....but that is what I am talking about and I was stating my opinion. And yes, I do clearly read the fine print of the coverage to ensure I know what I am purchasing.

The problem is there wasn't enough detail in your post

Many posters do tend to not post clear concise facts and unfortunately many poster do not understand travel insurance

My post was actually meant for them not you

I apologize and next time I want to clarify someone's post I think it is probably best just to not quote them but just offer my own interpretation

Fwiw I knew you had it straight.

• Like 1

Here we go again....

However

IF

You are concerned about having to cancel due to your non traveling parents illness .... Then pre existing means nothing to you as pre existing only refers to the travel party not stay at home ill immediate relatives

The part of YOUR insurance that counts is the coverage that will pay for you to fly back in the sad event that your parent is gravely ill.....or worse. Or if your parents illness is very very close to terminal and your doctor vouches for this fact

So bottom line buy the pre existing coverage for you and YOUR personal health concerns NOT because you have elderly non traveling immediate relatives with their own health concerns

I was told by a Travelguard representative that pre existing conditions DOES apply to immediate family members not traveling with you. I think that varies with different insurance companies.

I was told by a Travelguard representative that pre existing conditions DOES apply to immediate family members not traveling with you. I think that varies with different insurance companies.

You misunderstood then because the insurance is covering you and your pre existing conditions not your relatives.

Just ask yourself this question?

You book a cruise in June for the following January

Your parent sees their doctor in april and is given bad news

Your parent keeps this news from you

Your parent takes deathly ill right before your cruise

You didn't know about this condition when you booked did you?

But guess what? The insurance pays you if you cancel...But not under the pre existing clause....under the clause that says if your immediate relative is gravely ill, you, the traveler, can cancel.

You cannot be expected to know 100% of your immediate relatives pre existing conditions

Bottom line... Pre existing conditions refer only to pre existing conditions the traveler has themselves.

Yes they will pay you but only because you have a gravely ill relative.... Doesn't matter when they discovered they were ill.... Just that they are ill and they are under a doctors care and they are your immediate relative.

Pre existing means your pre existing illness not a relatives.

Edited by luvtheships

Actually Travel Insurance purchased thru Insuremytrip does cover illness of "immediate" family. My coverage was not thru Travel Guard, and the name slips my mind but our coverage cost over $550pp. Yes it was a very spendy trip and coverage had to be booked within a couple days of initial deposit.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old post, but we are in the process of booking our cruise and purchasing travel insurance. My mother and her husband (who are not travelling with us) are in poor health so this thread almost convinced me to wait until closer to our sail date to purchase the policies. I was told by Travel Guard that the Pre-existing exclusion of benefits does apply to non-travelling family members. Below is the portion of my policy that relates to it. I am glad that I checked into it further. You only have 15 days from making the deposit on your trip to get insurance with the waiver to the pre-existing exclusion. This is just my experience with my particular travel insurance company.

) PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION: The

Company will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the

result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition (excluding any

condition from which death ensues) of an Insured, Traveling

Companion, Business Partner or Family Member which,

within the 180 day period immediately preceding and

including the Insured’s coverage effective date: (a) first

manifested itself, worsened, became acute or had symptoms

which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek

diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) for which care or treatment

was given or recommended by a Physician; © required

taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition

for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains

controlled without any change in the required prescription

drugs or medicines.

Here's yet another reason to purchase third party insurance: Part of what you are insuring yourself against is non-performance by the cruise company (bankruptcy, etc.) Years ago we were booked for one of the first voyages of a ship that was still being built when we booked it. The expected launch was delayed by several months and the cruise company informed us that an inferior ship was to be substituted. Their attitude was "take it or leave it". I'm not at all sure we could have refused the substitution if we had purchased the cruise line's insurance. Clearly it would have been a conflict of interest since our beef was with the cruise line. Having third party cancellation insurance provided us with negotiating power in that unusual circumstance.

I know this is an old post, but we are in the process of booking our cruise and purchasing travel insurance. My mother and her husband (who are not travelling with us) are in poor health so this thread almost convinced me to wait until closer to our sail date to purchase the policies. I was told by Travel Guard that the Pre-existing exclusion of benefits does apply to non-travelling family members. Below is the portion of my policy that relates to it. I am glad that I checked into it further. You only have 15 days from making the deposit on your trip to get insurance with the waiver to the pre-existing exclusion. This is just my experience with my particular travel insurance company.

) PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION: The

Company will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the

result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition (excluding any

condition from which death ensues) of an Insured, Traveling

Companion, Business Partner or Family Member which,

within the 180 day period immediately preceding and

including the Insured’s coverage effective date: (a) first

manifested itself, worsened, became acute or had symptoms

which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek

diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) for which care or treatment

was given or recommended by a Physician; © required

taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition

for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains

controlled without any change in the required prescription

drugs or medicines.

Please be careful about making general pronouncements about how "travel insurance works".

There are many companies offering this coverage, and each usually has quite a few different types of coverage... and terms.

There are policies where one can get the pre-existing condition exclusion waived if one purchases within 21 days.

And there are some where one can pay as late as full payment (defined in a specific way).

And whether it applies to those at home also differs.

The important thing is to make sure one understands exactly what the policy does or doesn't cover.

Writing that

"You only have 15 days from making the deposit on your trip to get insurance with the waiver to the pre-existing exclusion."

and then giving a warning in red that it applies to *you* only?

Odd.

Likewise, what was quoted about those at home/other relatives/etc., may be very different with different policies.

Also, that quote is specifically for an

"...Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Family Member..."

This wouldn't be relatives at home.

Perhaps there is another section of your policy that would apply.

I would suggest NEVER taking the spoken "word" of someone over the phone.

See what the WRITTEN POLICY STATES. That is the coverage you will have, if needed.

Speaking with someone like Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com at the time one is considering making a deposit will help you to get the exact type of coverage you need.

(There are other such services, but Steve has vetted the insurers that he uses.)

GeezerCouple