bringing power strip on the Dawn

coley2011

Hi Everyone,

I have heard some people say their power strips have been confiscated, and we haven't brought one on a ship on the past, so I was wondering if any recent Dawn (or NCL cruiser in general) has been able to bring a power strip onboard?

Would a 3-pronged(as opposed to the 2 prongs of say a laptop charger) power strip with on/off switch be okay? Is it better to put it into a carry-on or checked bag? Don't want it taken, but also don't want to get sent to the Naughty Room either.

TIA!

In all my time here, I have not seen one report of this problem. Do you have links to any posts about it? I think you are about to hear that lots of people take them. We have always had one.

Carnival did do something along these lines a year or two ago, but I think that has stopped.

garycarla, if you look on some of the first-time cruiser threads, people have commented that it could/may be confiscated. Of course, these may have been people who sailed on Carnival. The specific comments were not fairly recent, but I haven't cruised in about 4 years so I'm a little "what-to-pack rusty"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26187623&postcount=258

Also saw it elsewhere, just can't remember that exact link. I had been looking for a more recent reply, which is why I asked here, just to make sure it wouldn't get taken if we brought one

garycarla, if you look on some of the first-time cruiser threads, people have commented that it could/may be confiscated. Of course, these may have been people who sailed on Carnival. The specific comments were not fairly recent, but I haven't cruised in about 4 years so I'm a little "what-to-pack rusty"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26187623&postcount=258

Also saw it elsewhere, just can't remember that exact link. I had been looking for a more recent reply, which is why I asked here, just to make sure it wouldn't get taken if we brought one

From when I worked at NCL (about 5 years ago), it was fine to bring a power strip, but the ones preferred were as you say a 3-prong plug and the on/off switch. This switch is also a mini circuit breaker, which makes the strip safer against overload and overheating. The only ones we used to confiscate were ones that had raggedy insulation or broken covers.

I think the usable outlets on cruise ships are only two prong, not the three prong that most power strips have. You might need a 3 to 2 adapter.

I haven't seen any two prong US outlets on ships (not to say they aren't there), but given that the 3-prong has been standard in US for over 20 years, I don't believe they are on ships. The unusual nature of ship's electrical system grounding usually means that a ground prong is needed. The European 2-prong plugs actually have the ground in two strips on the side of the plug. What may have happened is that a ship provided European round pin to US flat pin adapter did not have a 3rd hole for the ground. I have seen these.

I've brought one like this on my last 4 cruises, never had a problem

http://www.smarthome.com/11389/P3-International-P4010-Share-A-Watt-Portable-Power-Strip/p.aspx

I bring something similar. Never had an issue. The extra USB ports free up plugs for camera battery chargers. I wouldn't recommend regular extension cords though.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Never needed a power strip. Between the 110v standard US outlet and the 220v for electronics that has been plenty. I do take a plug adapter to convert European two prong to two blade US style and use that for any electronics that have a transformer. Check label on transformer but almost all are voltage flexible and state input as 110v~240v.

0000211_european_plug_adapter_400.jpeg

Never needed a power strip. Between the 110v standard US outlet and the 220v for electronics that has been plenty. I do take a plug adapter to convert European two prong to two blade US style and use that for any electronics that have a transformer. Check label on transformer but almost all are voltage flexible and state input as 110v~240v.

0000211_european_plug_adapter_400.jpeg

Definitely check the power supply, but most phone/laptop, etc chargers will accept 100-240vac. This is the type of adapter I was talking about for a two prong plug. There are some more expensive ones that will adapt the two European prongs and the ground wire to a US 3-prong plug. I don't have a photo handy, but it is round to fill the whole European receptacle.

I take a power strip every time, unless we are in one of the new family suites on the Star....those new suites have lots of plug-ins!

But for the other rooms that only have the one plug-in, a power strip is a must, and it has never been confiscated.

Have a great cruise!

Curious. Reason why not?

More because they technically have a larger risk of fire and I don't want to be responsible for starting a fire on a cruise ship. Also it won't protect my electronics if there is a power surge.

The new mini travel protectors take up the same amount of room in my suitcase and come with a protection warranty so its worth it IMO.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived