Everything quantum!!!!!!

Posted: Jul 24, 2013 12:25 PM EDT Updated: Jul 24, 2013 6:18 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) - The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on Wednesday gave its support to a plan that would allow 1 of the world's largest cruise ships to sail out of Bayonne.

The agency's board of commissioners voted to approve a plan for Royal Caribbean to redevelop part of Bayonne's Cape Liberty Cruise Port. The redevelopment is aimed at accommodating Royal Caribbean's new Quantum of the Seas cruise ship scheduled to debut in the fall of 2014. The ship can carry 4,180 passengers.

Royal Caribbean would develop a new terminal and parking deck on the site, Port Authority commerce director Richard Larrabee said at the monthly board meeting. Larrabee said the agency, which acquired the Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal in 2010, would lose about $1 million a year in rent but would offset that with its share of passenger and parking revenue tied to the new ship.

Passenger volume is predicted to rise by 25% to 600,000 per year, according to Port Authority deputy executive director Bill Baroni. Larrabee said he expected revenues in 2015 to surpass what the Port Authority would have realized without the redevelopment.

Royal Caribbean would fund the project in conjunction with the city of Bayonne, which would issue $70 million in bonds. Construction is scheduled to begin this summer and be completed by next fall.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published

I don't understand some of this arcticle.....

I understand that RCI is going to build a new terminal there, approved by the Port Authority. Why is the PA going to lose $1m in rent 'offset by its share of passenge and parking revenue tied to the new ship'? Is it because it owned the old terminal and leased it to RCI, and now RCI is going to own its own terminal but still pay some kind of fee? It's not really clear.

Will they tear down the old terminal, or leave it intact and add another terminal? And who owned the terminal prior to the year 2010 when the Port Authority acquired the property? I believe it opened in 2004....

I don't understand some of this arcticle.....

I understand that RCI is going to build a new terminal there, approved by the Port Authority. Why is the PA going to lose $1m in rent 'offset by its share of passenge and parking revenue tied to the new ship'? Is it because it owned the old terminal and leased it to RCI, and now RCI is going to own its own terminal but still pay some kind of fee? It's not really clear.

Will they tear down the old terminal, or leave it intact and add another terminal? And who owned the terminal prior to the year 2010 when the Port Authority acquired the property? I believe it opened in 2004....

The cruise port in Bayonne was a military facility before being turned over to the Port Authority.

Oh really? Last time I looked, Navigator and Mariner of the Seas were in modified form from the other Voyager class ships. It can be done, its not like they are going to be adding new venues, lol! Adding more glass to fully enclose the solarium would make it a new class? :rolleyes: Where's Explorers indoor pools?

So I don't mean to sound rude but what's the big deal? We are just talking about how cool it would be, no one said it was going to happen. Oh and stop talking about the cold weather ships, we keep telling you it would be good for the summer and then have her reposition for the winter!

Again, it was just an idea for the summer months!

All the voyager class ships are structurally the same ship. There are differences other then venue names.

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, and the Great Belt Bridge all share a common clearance height that has become a fairly standard maximum height for modern ships. The Oasis class ships feature a telescopic funnel that allows for them to be lowered in order to pass under the bridges. This allows her to dock in NJ and was required for here to even make it out of the ship yard that built her. The Quantum of the Seas seems to be about the same height as a Freedom/Voyager Class ship (more decks but they occupy non numbered areas and open space on the other classes, the funnel is also stubbier) so a special funnel isn't required.

Derek thanks. I have seen the Verrazano Bridge on YouTube but didn't realize it had the same clearance. I saw the video of Oasis and Allure sailing under the Great Belt Bridge. Very cool stuff. Well we will have to see how RCI repositions their ships. Any thing is possible with all the new cruise terminals being built.

The big factor for an Oasis class ship out of Bayonne would be available ports of call. Nassau is the closest. Don't believe she can get into Bermuda due to channel width and depth:). IMHO that eliminates Bayonne altogether. My vote goes to Asia . it is a burgeoning market with high potential.

I have heard the third Oasis class ship will be going to Asia.

That would make sense! That market is booming!

Only one Quantum Class has a home port. What about the other three?

I believe that I heard that they were building four.

I wonder if they'll build a fourth Oasis class. I wouldn't be surprised. I believe that they're the most profitable class that they have.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am beginning to wonder if it will be possible that with this new terminal, they could also fit the 3rd Oasis class vessel here. I know it is probably unlikely but it would be cool to have a few cruises out of this part of the east coast on a ship like that! Would make it awesome for all of us living up here that hate the airfare!

Last I checked, we haven't seen any snow here during the Summer. Maybe Oasis class ships could sail from here during May - September months.

Oh this sounds SO sweet.:D

They don't modify a class ship out of no where on a new build. Changing the structure of the ship to suddenly make things indoors now would be a whole new class ship. Not going to happen.

The third oasis will go to PC where they have already started renovations to accommodate the ship.

Funny how the argument everyone used as to why quantum will be in NJ (cold weather) suddenly gets thrown out the window with oasis. It's fun to dream but the real world says ain't going to happen

Maybe....maybe not. You also claimed for months that Quantum will go to Florida.:rolleyes:

With a new terminal in NJ, anything is possible.:D

Nope you're all wrong. The 3rd oasis ship is coming to California to do rotating cruises from Mexico and Hawaii and this is confirmed through my cabin steward husband sister who has a nephew that's the brother of janitor that works in the executive boardroom at royal.

Nope you're all wrong. The 3rd oasis ship is coming to California to do rotating cruises from Mexico and Hawaii and this is confirmed through my cabin steward husband sister who has a nephew that's the brother of janitor that works in the executive boardroom at royal.

Too funny!!!! perfect!!

Lol :p love it!

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

nope you're all wrong. The 3rd oasis ship is coming to california to do rotating cruises from mexico and hawaii and this is confirmed through my cabin steward husband sister who has a nephew that's the brother of janitor that works in the executive boardroom at royal.

Sent using the cruise critic forums app

lol!!! :d

I have heard the third Oasis class ship will be going to Asia.

I have heard the 3rd Oasis Class ship will go to Florida with two of them staying in Ft. Lauderdale and one in Port Canaveral. Freedom of the Seas would reposition to Asia.......

That would make sense! That market is booming!

Only one Quantum Class has a home port. What about the other three?

I believe that I heard that they were building four.

I wonder if they'll build a fourth Oasis class. I wouldn't be surprised. I believe that they're the most profitable class that they have.

There is an option for a 4th Oasis if Royal decides to exercise that option.

I have heard the 3rd Oasis Class ship will go to Florida with two of them staying in Ft. Lauderdale and one in Port Canaveral. Freedom of the Seas would reposition to Asia.......

Well that would be fabulous! That's the first I've heard of this rumor, but I really do like it! I've heard the rumors of the third Oasis class going to Asia and its made me quite sad...if not down right disappointed. I don't mean to sound like a selfish American, but I must admit to a tad bit of sulking over even the possibility of such a thing. Especially since the third ship has been touted by Royal to be built with some of the upcoming Quantum features, which in my mind will add perfection to an already outstanding ship. I want to sail that ship...and as long as she's ported in America somewhere, I will! So, I'm on board, they can send Freedom to Asia and keep the third Oasis ship here for us :p.

Well that would be fabulous! That's the first I've heard of this rumor, but I really do like it! I've heard the rumors of the third Oasis class going to Asia and its made me quite sad...if not down right disappointed. I don't mean to sound like a selfish American, but I must admit to a tad bit of sulking over even the possibility of such a thing. Especially since the third ship has been touted by Royal to be built with some of the upcoming Quantum features, which in my mind will add perfection to an already outstanding ship. I want to sail that ship...and as long as she's ported in America somewhere, I will! So, I'm on board, they can send Freedom to Asia and keep the third Oasis ship here for us :p.

Let me also quantify that I heard this from a TA and in no way does that mean the TA is 100% correct. I am in agreement with you that this would be excellent. I truly like the Freedom of the Seas and it would be missed by going to Asia, but having another Oasis Class ship at Port Canaveral would be great.

I've heard the 3rd Oasis will be headed to Florida with one of the existing sisters switching to longer voyages that include additional ports. The new ships would be headed for Miami to take advantage of the new Airport style terminal they want to build.

This honestly sounds perfect. I would absolutely love to cruise in China someday and sailing on the amazing Freedom would definitely be on my bucket list. I think it would be smart to have one of those babies in Port Canaveral!

Still hoping for just one sailing out of New York though! :D Imagine the pictures they could get of the ship and the city and statue of Liberty in the background!

I've heard the 3rd Oasis will be headed to Florida with one of the existing sisters switching to longer voyages that include additional ports. The new ships would be headed for Miami to take advantage of the new Airport style terminal they want to build.

Are you inferring that there will be a new runway at the POM???? :D Sorry I could not resist to ask that......

Having an Oasis Class ship for longer intineraries does make sense and if there are more ports that could accommodate a ship that size, I'm all for it!

Maybe....maybe not. You also claimed for months that Quantum will go to Florida.:rolleyes:

With a new terminal in NJ, anything is possible.:D

I never claimed anything. I said if she came to Florida it would be Miami. Ft lauderdale already oasis and allure. PC already has ships and is getting the third oasis. NJ will get anthem just like ft lauderdale has both ships. Since majesty is the only ship out of Miami. Their home port that is where I said quantum would port IF they put her in Florida. Can always count on you to try and start a argument again. You can't let it go :rolleyes:

Personally, I would LOVE an Oasis class up in NY, even if it was just for the warmer months. It would have me cruising a lot more and camping a lot less! :D Also, if Royal is footing the bill for a new cruise terminal, wouldn't it be logical to put as many ship up here as they can? Also, I feel that many ppl who fly into NY from overseas would really appreciate not having to make that 2nd flight to Florida. :rolleyes:

We will be on one of the first times Quantum goes out, Nov 18,19,20, 2014!! This is going to be an incredible ship, as are all of those in the Royal Caribbean fleet!!

Soooo lucky! I am trying to get on but my schedule won't permit. :(