Everything quantum!!!!!!

That's helpful, lol. This page shows the size in GT rather than GRT. The GT should be smaller than the GRT though. Seems like that number is not very reliable even though it's on the builder's site.

So I was reading the latest press release from RCCL about the upgraded internet capability. Basically, they are able to get 500 mbps bandwith on the ships now, starting in 2014 and will be installed on Quantum. Adam Goldstein was quoted in saying that Royal will be doing "some things" with the new technology.

Can you say Netflix or some type of video streaming included on the TVs? That would be awesome.

I don't know about you but the last thing I want to do is stay in my room watching a movie even if it's late at night. Might be good for the kids but......

This is true, but it was just an example of streaming. Maybe a better use would be Pandora Internet Radio in the cabin with in-wall speakers. Controlled by a touchscreen inbedded in the wall, which controls apps, along with lighting, AC/Heat, etc. Or Cabin to Cabin Video conference or Cabin to Home, using the screen.

This is true, but it was just an example of streaming. Maybe a better use would be Pandora Internet Radio in the cabin with in-wall speakers. Controlled by a touchscreen inbedded in the wall, which controls apps, along with lighting, AC/Heat, etc. Or Cabin to Cabin Video conference or Cabin to Home, using the screen.

Now that would be sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Now that would be sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Add a Royal Caribbean app that can interface through the ships wi-fi system to allow making reservations (spa,shows, specialty dining, and such) as well as supplying a few phone to phone texting capability on board. Oh yeah, one all-inclusive internet package based on data use age instead of a pet minute stone aged method of billing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Add a Royal Caribbean app that can interface through the ships wi-fi system to allow making reservations (spa,shows, specialty dining, and such) as well as supplying a few phone to phone texting capability on board. Oh yeah, one all-inclusive internet package based on data use age instead of a pet minute stone aged method of billing.

They have unlimited packages which will be implemented on Quantum and is already on Allure. At a cruise conference a few weeks ago, there was an article about the cruise industry moving to MB instead of per minute. Cruise lines are afraid of losing the techie generations (18-25 yrs old) demographic, because of the lack of ship internet.

I will make a bold prediction. Quantum will have phone to phone texting capability.

So I was reading the latest press release from RCCL about the upgraded internet capability. Basically, they are able to get 500 mbps bandwith on the ships now, starting in 2014 and will be installed on Quantum. Adam Goldstein was quoted in saying that Royal will be doing "some things" with the new technology.

Can you say Netflix or some type of video streaming included on the TVs? That would be awesome.

At 500mbps that is only about 100kbps per person or dual modem speeds. If it's officially offered no one will be able to watch anything. If it's not officially offered and they switch to the pay per MB model it will be expensive. Don't think netflix streaming will ever come to be. It's probably more of a system in which their mobile app has onboard functionalities on your phone that can talk back to their miramar server farm for things like authentication and account management. It could also allow for people to search cruises on your phone. Doubt they would push any farther than that.

They have unlimited packages which will be implemented on Quantum and is already on Allure. At a cruise conference a few weeks ago, there was an article about the cruise industry moving to MB instead of per minute. Cruise lines are afraid of losing the techie generations (18-25 yrs old) demographic, because of the lack of ship internet.

I will make a bold prediction. Quantum will have phone to phone texting capability.

With regards to your bold prediction, when you say "phone to phone texting" are you thinking of ship/dect/wow phones or are you thinking of guests phones ?

The reason I ask is because one of my family is deaf and she will be on her first ever cruise in November (Quantum 11/23 Inaugural) and I am trying to work out the best way for the 3 of us to keep in contact at all times on the ship.

I thought of the wow/ship/dect phones (or whatever they are called now) but I don't know if you can text with them...so then I thought of unlimited internet packages.

With the current family internet package though it is only 2 devices on at the same time but we would need 3 devices on, so then we would need two packages and that will be rather costly.

So I am interested in your bold prediction :D

This would be fantastic for us. My DH is a programmer/analyst and would have such peace of mind to be able to problem solve on a cruise. He works for himself so this would be perfect. AND it would take away the excuse that we can't go because he needs to work! :D

With regards to your bold prediction, when you say "phone to phone texting" are you thinking of ship/dect/wow phones or are you thinking of guests phones ?

The reason I ask is because one of my family is deaf and she will be on her first ever cruise in November (Quantum 11/23 Inaugural) and I am trying to work out the best way for the 3 of us to keep in contact at all times on the ship.

I thought of the wow/ship/dect phones (or whatever they are called now) but I don't know if you can text with them...so then I thought of unlimited internet packages.

With the current family internet package though it is only 2 devices on at the same time but we would need 3 devices on, so then we would need two packages and that will be rather costly.

I would guess it would be a RCCL app that you can load on individual phones/tablets that would have a texting capability, along with compasses, etc. I know it's been in development but maybe Quantum will be the first implementation.

Especially because it wouldn't take much/if any bandwith from the Internet pool. It could be ship based using a closed local ship network. If this is truly a "Quantum Leap Forward", then something like this should be implemented.

Edited by hitaway4

I would guess it would be a RCCL app that you can load on individual phones/tablets that would have a texting capability, along with compasses, etc. I know it's been in development but maybe Quantum will be the first implementation.

Especially because it wouldn't take much/if any bandwith from the Internet pool. It could be ship based using a closed local ship network. If this is truly a "Quantum Leap Forward", then something like this should be implemented.

Sounds great, thank you. Let's hope this happens :D

Fortune telling aside (though, I hope they are right too) have you looked into your cell phone carrier's international texting options? Even if it's a dollar per text ($.50 to send, $.50 to receive) it could be a more cost effective option than unlimited wifi -- if all you really need is to text each other. The trick would be to make sure people at home don't text you (since your phone would remain on and connected to Cellular at Sea).

There is a special needs board here. I bet they have other ideas on managing this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by brklyn78

Fortune telling aside (though, I hope they are right too) have you looked into your cell phone carrier's international texting options? Even if it's a dollar per text ($.50 to send, $.50 to receive) it could be a more cost effective option than unlimited wifi -- if all you really need is to text each other. The trick would be to make sure people at home don't text you (since your phone would remain on and connected to Cellular at Sea).

There is a special needs board here. I bet they have other ideas on managing this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Brooke, I did check out the Disabled board before but there isn't a lot of info out there for Deaf cruisers...but I will have another search on there.

Using an International package on our phones would cost even more than the unlimited internet packages :(

2.5 hours - Mamma Mia :eek: :D

Found this bit of info in a recent cruise news report -

Royal Caribbean is famous for bringing the unexpected to sea—ice skating, rock climbing, surfing—and Quantum of the Seas will continue that with bumper cars, sky diving and more, said Nick Weir, vp entertainment. Plus, for the first time, the featured Broadway show, 'Mamma Mia!', will be the full production, 'the real deal,' as Weir put it: 2.5 hours with an intermission.

Performers who were in 'Mamma Mia!' on Broadway are coming to Royal Caribbean auditions, he noted with satisfaction.

Royal Caribbean is famous for bringing the unexpected to sea—ice skating, rock climbing, surfing—and Quantum of the Seas will continue that with bumper cars, sky diving and more, said Nick Weir, vp entertainment. Plus, for the first time, the featured Broadway show, 'Mamma Mia!', will be the full production, 'the real deal,' as Weir put it: 2.5 hours with an intermission.

Performers who were in 'Mamma Mia!' on Broadway are coming to Royal Caribbean auditions, he noted with satisfaction.

Cool, I've seen it on Broadway, would be fun to see it with some of the same actors again.

2.5 hours....Mamma Mia is that long!;)

Thank goodness for the intermission.:)

Sorry, but no Main Dining Room is probably going to be a serious deal breaker for me! I am booked on the Quantum for next February, and unless I am missing something, I am absolutely not paying THAT much for a cruise with no MDR option (and also BTW, 5 of a 9-day cruise at sea with no other options). I am not 'Freestyling' on Royal hoping to get into one of the included dining options. If I wanted to do that, I would be cruising NCL.

I don't know if anyone else feels as I do, but dinner in the MDR with the same servers each night is something we look forward to... I am VERY sad!

Edited by SnappyNappi

Sorry, but no Main Dining Room is probably going to be a serious deal breaker for me! I am booked on the Quantum for next February, and unless I am missing something, I am absolutely not paying THAT much for a cruise with no MDR option (and also BTW, 5 of a 9-day cruise at sea with no other options). I am not 'Freestyling' on Royal hoping to get into one of the included dining options. If I wanted to do that, I would be cruising NCL.

I don't know if anyone else feels as I do, but dinner in the MDR with the same servers each night is something we look forward to... I am VERY sad!

I have to say I'm feeling similarly, the MDR is an important aspect to the ship. It's not a deal breaker for me but upsets me somewhat to see some of the changes afoot