Everything quantum!!!!!!

I think the areas you are referring to have always been "blank" areas on the deck plans (i.e. not labeled "more to come"). I have always just assumed that those were the kitchen & prep areas and will never be public spaces. I really don't think that they are the MDR. It appears the MDR has now become 4 separate eating venues... a formal, a semi-formal & 2 casual venues. At this point it is almost a certainty that there will be no traditional MDR on the Quantum. Although this doesn't bother me in the least because we like to rotate our dining every night anyway, I can see it would be a disappointment for those who love the MDR.

Even though it appears there are four split dining room venues from what I saw of the deck plans there was still a central staircase area in the middle of the four ... So would that mean some interoperations in line with the rotational idea

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Image below, sorry for poor quality, was posted by someone elsewhere. Says he made a change to his 2016 Serenade cruise and this showed up on his reservation regarding Quantum/Anthem dining.

Not a deal breaker but definitely a downer. I like formal nights and I'm sorry but a set time with a set server too. It will definitely be interesting tomorrow after they make their "big reveal" of how people are going to perceive this and if there is going to be anything else.

If they do away with the traditional dining in the MDR we will be very disappointed but it won't be a deal breaker. Having the same servers is one of the best parts of our dining experience and we enjoy getting to know them. Plus we're a group of 12 and we love to dine together so trying to get everyone on the same page of where to eat and when will be oh so much fun. :mad: I sure hope that the speculation is wrong but I guess we'll all find out tomorrow.

If they do away with the traditional dining in the MDR we will be very disappointed but it won't be a deal breaker. Having the same servers is one of the best parts of our dining experience and we enjoy getting to know them. Plus we're a group of 12 and we love to dine together so trying to get everyone on the same page of where to eat and when will be oh so much fun. :mad: I sure hope that the speculation is wrong but I guess we'll all find out tomorrow.

Highly unlikely it's wrong, but I doubt RCCL will leave its loyal cruisers completely out in the cold. I'm sure there will be an option to follow a rotation with your servers.

Just because you're changing "venues" wouldn't make it any different if you keep your group and servers. Like the the MDR changes dishes every night, your food options will change. Similarly, if you want formal every night, you can go to the Grand every night.

I imagine there will be waitstaff tied to each venue (so you can have the same waitstaff if you go one place over and over) and there will be wait staff that rotate for those who like structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know who originally posted this but I agree that for dinner, if the American Icon Grill is going to serve hamburgers and mac & cheese as a regular dinner, I hope there is a way of getting out of going there for a dinner if they rotate. I can have that stuff at home.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. I could put that the Anthem has sunk off the coast of England and it'd show up there.

here is what someone from one of the Anthem sites posted. It's from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Quantum-class_cruise_ship&oldid=601200874

Dining

Quantum of the Seas

As of February 2014, no information has yet been released on specific dining venues on Quantum of the Seas other than "The Café @ Two70°" and the SeaPlex food truck. A Royal Caribbean press release described the Quantum class as having "the most flexible dining options and more specialty restaurants than ever before."[4] More information on dining options will be revealed in an event in New York City on March 26, 2014.[citation needed]

Anthem of the Seas

Unlike previous Royal Caribbean ships, Anthem of the Seas will not have a single main dining room. Instead, if will have four large dining venues:[23]

"The Grand" — formal dining

"Chic" — contemporary cuisine

"Silk" — pan-Asian cuisine

"American Icon Grill" — American comfort food

Smaller dining venues debuting on the Quantum class include:[23]

"Michael's Genuine Pub" — pub fare from chef Michael Schwartz

"Jamie’s Italian by Jamie Oliver"

"Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine"

"Coastal Kitchen" — a California Mediterranean fusion restaurant available only to guests staying in suite-level staterooms

"The Grill" — a 24-hour grill eatery featuring all-day breakfast and other food items

Anthem of the Seas will also have several dining venues common to many Royal Caribbean Ships, including:[23]

"Sorrentos" and "Café Promenade" — pizza, sandwiches, and pastries

"Chops Grille" — steakhouse

"Izumi Japanese Cuisine"

"Chef's Table"

"Johnny Rockets"

"Solarium Bistro"

"Windjammer Marketplace" — buffet

"The Café @ Two70°" — grab-and-go sandwiches and salads (similar to the "Park Café" on other Royal Caribbean ships)

"SeaPlex Dog House" — hot dogs and sausages (similar to the "Boardwalk Dog House" on other Royal Caribbean ships)

For those who would like it posted in the Everything Quantum thread :)

Dynamic Dining

Dynamic Dining, a new world of culinary exploration onboard Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas has been selected for this reservation. It’s dining at seas, reimagined - to give you more distinct options plus total flexibility to shape your own delectable journey. There are no set dining times, no assigned seats, no required formal nights. Instead, let your appetite be the guide, as 18 tantalizing possibilities lay before you. Daily reservations can be made for select restaurants on-line up to 4 days prior to departure at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/PreCruisePlanner. Reservations can also be made or amended onboard. Pre-cruise reservations are strongly recommended to confirm your desired dining time at your restaurant of choice and ensure reduced wait times. Dynamic Dining does not guarantee multiple tables together for parties of over 16 guests. For more information, please contact your travel agent or go to http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com.

Dynamic Dining

Dynamic Dining, a new world of culinary exploration onboard Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas has been selected for this reservation. It’s dining at seas, reimagined - to give you more distinct options plus total flexibility to shape your own delectable journey. There are no set dining times, no assigned seats, no required formal nights. Instead, let your appetite be the guide, as 18 tantalizing possibilities lay before you. Daily reservations can be made for select restaurants on-line up to 4 days prior to departure at www.RoyalCaribbean.com/PreCruisePlanner. Reservations can also be made or amended onboard. Pre-cruise reservations are strongly recommended to confirm your desired dining time at your restaurant of choice and ensure reduced wait times. Dynamic Dining does not guarantee multiple tables together for parties of over 16 guests. For more information, please contact your travel agent or go to www.RoyalCaribbean.com.

So, we were all speculating that Royal was going Disney with a rotational system... looks like they're actually going Norwegian!?

Perhaps those wonderful addictive and catchy NCL commercials got into the brians of the brass down at RCI HQ :p

So, we were all speculating that Royal was going Disney with a rotational system... looks like they're actually going Norwegian!?

Perhaps those wonderful addictive and catchy NCL commercials got into the brians of the brass down at RCI HQ :p

You got that right! What I don't get, though, is how copying the Freestyle Dining on NCL is in anyway INNOVATIVE :confused::confused:

I, personally, like the fact that I can go "casual" or "formal" whenever I would like... and I think it eliminates the thousands of "shorts in the MDR" debate threads we see in any given year... so I'm not complaining. I just don't see the innovation. Unless they do virtual dining where the "views" change, copying another cruise line doesn't seem to be a good reason for keeping everything "hush-hush" for so many months.

Dynamic Dining

Dynamic Dining, a new world of culinary exploration onboard Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas has been selected for this reservation. It’s dining at seas, reimagined - to give you more distinct options plus total flexibility to shape your own delectable journey. There are no set dining times, no assigned seats, no required formal nights. Instead, let your appetite be the guide, as 18 tantalizing possibilities lay before you. Daily reservations can be made for select restaurants on-line up to 4 days prior to departure at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/PreCruisePlanner. Reservations can also be made or amended onboard. Pre-cruise reservations are strongly recommended to confirm your desired dining time at your restaurant of choice and ensure reduced wait times. Dynamic Dining does not guarantee multiple tables together for parties of over 16 guests. For more information, please contact your travel agent or go to http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com.

The choice of the term 'Dynamic' is interesting.

Some refer to 'Dynamic Pricing' as discriminatory as through it's use of the laws of supply and demand along with market conditions leads to price and quality variations between markets and consumer groups.

While technology first made this practice almost impossible technology is now actually providing new opportunities for variable pricing.

So, if applied to dining, and with the 18 variable dining options mentioned, every cruiser, their history, their location, their booking method, their cruise fare, their loyalty status and so on could all be used to provide variable offerings to different cruisers based on a whole series of variables.

With 4000+ guests all making variable dining choices in advance, many would most likely make same or similar choices. These choices would probably be booked in half hour rotations, meaning that they are turning tables all throughout the evening and balancing the flow of passengers throughout the ship.

This could fill venues like one of my favorites on Oasis of the Seas, the Solarium Café, that is almost empty every time I have visited. Like minded guests all making this choice could actually still be seated and move together. They could be inspired to make this selection, through price fluctuations or promotional or bonus offers.

The term 'Dynamic' also indicates that this system could be adapted for every sailing, every ship and every itinerary with additional variable added in.

Those that caught the segment on the American show, 60 Minutes, on

March 9th might have seen the segment on 'The Data Brokers' and how much information is being shared when we use the internet.

For those worried about personal service, I never heard my name used as much as on my recent Norwegian Getaway sailings, where they use technology to achieve this. Unfortunately, I caught on to what they are doing with their dining room. They turn every table 3 times every evening, rather than the 2 times on RCI, with the current system.

It will be interesting to see if they just present the venues tomorrow or will venture into defining what exactly their perception of what 'Dynamic Dining' is.

Edited by MADflyer

LOL I hope not too ...or I might have to post a great big one :(

May wind up spending a bunch of time in Johnny Rockets and Windjammer. If each restaurant has a specialty i.e. Silk (Asian cuisine) I don't see how they can rotate through these. I don't eat Asian when I am home and have all the options in the world available.

Image below, sorry for poor quality, was posted by someone elsewhere. Says he made a change to his 2016 Serenade cruise and this showed up on his reservation regarding Quantum/Anthem dining.

I typed up the thumbnail. here it is:

Dynamic Dining, a new world of culinary exploration onboard Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas has been selected for this reservation. It’s dining at sea, reimagined – to give you more distinct options plus total flexibility to shape your own delectable journey. There are no set dining times, no assigned seats, no required formal nights. Instead, let your appetite be the guide, as 18 tantalizing possibilities lay before you. Daily reservations can be made for select restaurants on-line up to 4 days prior to departure at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/PreCruisePlanner. Reservations can also be made or amended onboard. Pre-cruise reservations are strongly recommended to confirm your desired dining time at your restaurant of choice and ensure reduced wait times. Dynamic Dining does not guarantee multiple tables together for parties of over 16 guests. For more information, please contact your travel agent or go to www. Royalcaribbean.com.

Some random thoughts regarding the newest reveal....

1. With just a small handful of "more to come" labeled spaces left on the deck plans, I think we can safely assume that those will be for the clubs & bars... which are still conspicuously missing from the deck plans. With such a small handful of unlabeled space remaining, I think we've seen all the "innovative" reveals for this ship... no amazing surprises to come.

2. Starbucks, an ice-cream parlor, Cupcake Cupboard, Vintages & Samba Grill are nowhere to be seen. Three of the five would sadden me if they don't materialize somewhere.

3. No "Rainbow Room" to be seen yet... unless that will be one of the clubs.

4. We visited a venue in Las Vegas where the tables all had interactive ipads built into the table. You could order a drink, request a song from the band, order appetizers, etc. right from your personal ipad at your table. I thought I read somewhere once upon a time that RCCL was going to do something with ipads. Doing something like this would be "innovative" for the dining rooms AND they would be able to track your preferences easily even if the staff doesn't follow you (aka, you might still have your favorite drink waiting for you when you sit).

Edited by Kenlorz

How I could see the Quantum dining venues becoming more interactive with interactive tablet menus...

Royal is ALREADY doing it in Vintages on Allure. Watch this 2 minute video on how they are doing it.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/videos/show-video/sommeliers-on-allure-of-the-seas-use-ipad-menus/

This fits together with 'Dynamic' as the electronic menu could remember you and know your preferences already and provide you with a unique menu on a tablet.

It could have more 'upscale' choices for some based on previous behavior and more 'budget' options for others based on other behavior.

This fits together with 'Dynamic' as the electronic menu could remember you and know your preferences already and provide you with a unique menu on a tablet.

It could have more 'upscale' choices for some based on previous behavior and more 'budget' options for others based on other behavior.

Exactly! If you noticed in the video, the Sommeliers had mini tablets, while the guests had large interactive ones. The information the Sommelier sees is not the same information that you see.

So, my thinking is "Mr. Jones" orders a few Jack & Cokes and tells the waiter he has a wheat intolerance, so no bread and then later tells the him how he LOVES chocolate and orders a chocolate mousse. All those notes are made on the waiters side and attached to Mr. Jone's seapass account. The next night, the waiter at the next venue (who has previously not met Mr. Jones) has him at his table, he pulls up the previous night's notes... and VOILA! Mr. Jones gets a Jack & Coke, no bread & the waiter tells him that there is wheat in the dish he just ordered and suggests another & for a surprise brings him a Chocolate Mud Pie for dessert even though it's not on the menu.

Since Royal has already established some of this technology on the Allure, I can definitely see it becoming a broader used format. Plus, it would be cool to be able to select a dish and see the exact ingredients in it, have the menu suggest a wine to compliment your dish, warn you of allergens in the dish, etc. You might not have the same waiter for each venue, but at least your preferences, your dietary needs & your desires follow you throughout. Another bonus, being able to order items without having to wait for your waiter to return, ALSO communicating in writing any specific needs (leave the gravy off, substitute potatoes for pasta, etc.) which the chef will see directly.

Edited by Kenlorz

One negative that I foresee with the multiple dining rooms is catering to those that have food allergies. With the one MDR we have the same server and the same head waiter that know about your allergy and work with you to ensure that you still get a great dining experience.

Even going to a specialty restaurant on the current ships involves a stop earlier in the day to make sure that they know of any special requirements.

Really hoping that it is the rotational dining and you keep the same servers.

Ken, I have a food allergy and never had to stop in a restaurant during the day to let them know about my requirements. I simply sit down to eat, tell them I'm allergic to pine nuts and pesto and that's it. I've done this many times in the MDR, Chops, Portofino, Giovanni's Table, heck even at restaurants at home.

I don't see this being a problem at all.

Edited by Yorkvillain

One thing coming out of this that I think is really exciting is the expanded use of technology.

Waiters that are "briefed" on you to offer a more personal experience - excellent. This is becoming more of a certainty in my mind (it checks all of the innovation boxes).

Recent reports show Quantum will have 4x the internet speed and capacity greater than all of RCCL's ships combined. Result? A Quantum on board app that allows you to view the daily compass, make dinner reservations, spa reservations, activity reservations, etc...

Any one else have other potential technological innovation guesses?

Recent reports show Quantum will have 4x the internet speed and capacity greater than all of RCCL's ships combined. Result? A Quantum on board app that allows you to view the daily compass, make dinner reservations, spa reservations, activity reservations, etc...

Any one else have other potential technological innovation guesses?

I can see that. NCL introduced this with their latest newbuilds. It's called the Norwegian IConcierge app....it does all the things you mentioned and also includes text/phone features with other passengers. Of course, if you wanted to use the text features, there is an extra charge for it. If I remember correctly, it was $7.95 per phone.