Cannes to Monte Carlo/ Monaco

Don527

Greetings

Need advise on how to get from Cannes to Monte Carlo/ Monaco. Cruise ship docks in Cannes. is it easier by train or bus, and how long does it take.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Don

It is much faster, and easier by train. If you wanted to take the bus I believe you would have to change buses (with waiting time) in Nice. The train line spans the entire coast and will take you from Cannes to Monte Carlo in a little over an hour. These are regional trains (TER) and are basically commuter-type trains with one class and no reservations. You just get yourself to the Cannes train station, buy a ticket, validate the ticket, and hop on the next train to Monte Carlo.

Hank

Thanks for our help. Approx how much is the cost for the train from cannes to monaco ?

don

I believe the regular fare is about 9 Euros (one way). But, there might be some special fares that would lower the cost. For example, we are over 60 and can usually get senior fares which amount to a 20-25% discount. Not sure if they sell special one-way return fares....but this is something you can check when you get to the station. Just remember that once you buy a ticket you need to validate it (before boarding a train) in the validation machines located near the platform entrance. This machine simply puts a time/date stamp on the ticket. Failure to validate can result in a hefty on-the-spot fine if they do a ticket check.

Hank

Glad to find this thread as I'm doing research for our cruise next May.

Presumably there's a website somewhere with train schedules posted? Trying to figure out our timing to know whether or not it is worthwhile to buy GP tickets (wouldn't be if we couldn't get to Monte Carlo in time and/or have to leave too early).

thanks in advance!

Presumably there's a website somewhere with train schedules posted? Trying to figure out our timing to know whether or not it is worthwhile to buy GP tickets (wouldn't be if we couldn't get to Monte Carlo in time and/or have to leave too early).

thanks in advance!

Yes, there are several web sites with the train schedules. Probably one of the most reliable is the SNCF (French Railroad) site although if you use that make sure you choose France in the box where it asks your country. If you put in the US or Canada it used to bounce you straight to the Raileurope site. All this being said, the regional TER trains run every 30 minutes and require no reservations. So its just a matter of buying a ticket and hopping on the next train.

Hank

thanks in advance!

The actual schedules for next May are not published yet, but they would be the same as this summer. Roughly, they run every half hour from 5 am until 9 pm. The return trip is similar. The ride lasts one hour. No need to reserve ahead of time. Make sure you pick up a schedule at the station for the return times. There are later trains on the weekends.

www.sncf.com

Yes, there are several web sites with the train schedules. Probably one of the most reliable is the SNCF (French Railroad) site although if you use that make sure you choose France in the box where it asks your country. If you put in the US or Canada it used to bounce you straight to the Raileurope site. All this being said, the regional TER trains run every 30 minutes and require no reservations. So its just a matter of buying a ticket and hopping on the next train.

Hank

Thanks, I discovered this yesterday and could not figure out why I couldn't see a route from Cannes to Monte Carlo.

The actual schedules for next May are not published yet, but they would be the same as this summer. Roughly, they run every half hour from 5 am until 9 pm. The return trip is similar. The ride lasts one hour. No need to reserve ahead of time. Make sure you pick up a schedule at the station for the return times. There are later trains on the weekends.

www.sncf.com

Thanks! would there be any difference because of the Film Festival or GP going on during the weekend we are there? (i.e. less or more frequent trains?).

Thanks! would there be any difference because of the Film Festival or GP going on during the weekend we are there? (i.e. less or more frequent trains?).

If anything it would be later trains during the week. They already do every 20 minutes during rush hour. Actual schedules come out 3-4 months ahead of time.

Thanks, I discovered this yesterday and could not figure out why I couldn't see a route from Cannes to Monte Carlo.

You must enter Monaco instead of Monte Carlo. It shows as Monaco/Monte Carlo in the menu.

If anything it would be later trains during the week. They already do every 20 minutes during rush hour. Actual schedules come out 3-4 months ahead of time.

You must enter Monaco instead of Monte Carlo. It shows as Monaco/Monte Carlo in the menu.

Thanks for all this info... we are actually in town on a Saturday as opposed to a week day, but glad to hear there are so many trains.

Appreciate all the help.

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

You just get yourself to the Cannes train station, buy a ticket, validate the ticket, and hop on the next train to Monte Carlo.

I'm hoping to take the train from Cannes to Antibes next June and I'm wondering whether I'll have a problem purchasing tickets with my US (non-pin-and-chip) credit cards. Do you recall whether there's an option to pay cash?

I'm hoping to take the train from Cannes to Antibes next June and I'm wondering whether I'll have a problem purchasing tickets with my US (non-pin-and-chip) credit cards. Do you recall whether there's an option to pay cash?

Regarding the credit card, you would be able to use your card at the ticket counter (where you might have a long queue) but not in the ticket vending machines. And of course you can pay cash...although keep in mind that would be Euros. The vending machines even take cash. You also need to remember that you must validate your ticket before you get on a train. The validation machines are located near the platform entrance (in some stations they are also on the platforms) and they imprint a time/date stamp on the ticket. This is the norm throughout Europe for this type of ticket and failure to validate can get you a hefty fine levied by the conductor if they do a ticket check.

By the way, if you want a Chip/PIN Visa card, that has no annual fee and no foreign exchange fee....you can check the Andrews Federal Credit Union web site. If you do not meet their basic membership criteria they have a link where you can join (for f.ree) the American Consumer Council....which then gives you eligibility

Hank

Regarding the credit card, you would be able to use your card at the ticket counter (where you might have a long queue) but not in the ticket vending machines. And of course you can pay cash...although keep in mind that would be Euros. The vending machines even take cash. You also need to remember that you must validate your ticket before you get on a train. The validation machines are located near the platform entrance (in some stations they are also on the platforms) and they imprint a time/date stamp on the ticket. This is the norm throughout Europe for this type of ticket and failure to validate can get you a hefty fine levied by the conductor if they do a ticket check.

By the way, if you want a Chip/PIN Visa card, that has no annual fee and no foreign exchange fee....you can check the Andrews Federal Credit Union web site. If you do not meet their basic membership criteria they have a link where you can join (for f.ree) the American Consumer Council....which then gives you eligibility

Hank

Thanks, Hank, for all the good info. I'll probably end up feeding euros into one of the machines. Being the sedate, law-abiding soul that I am, I'll be sure to validate the tickets as well.

Lastly, what are my options for getting from the port in Cannes to the train station? (According to the itinerary, it's a tendered port.) Is it walkable or will I need to take a bus/taxi?

Thanks, Hank, for all the good info. I'll probably end up feeding euros into one of the machines. Being the sedate, law-abiding soul that I am, I'll be sure to validate the tickets as well.

Lastly, what are my options for getting from the port in Cannes to the train station? (According to the itinerary, it's a tendered port.) Is it walkable or will I need to take a bus/taxi?

It is approximately 7/10 of a mile from the tender pier to the train station and most of the walk (except the last few blocks) are flat. It's actually a nice walk since you will go through the heart of Cannes. Finding a taxi to take you from the port to the train station is very difficult (there are few taxis and they do not normally want that short haul). It is also possible to walk a few blocks to where you can get a local bus....but we have never used their buses and have no idea as to the issues. That being said, when we normally are heading to the train station (or a rental car agency in that same neighborhood) it is pretty early in the day and we seldom see buses.

One interesting facet is that it is a lot easier to get a taxi at the train station (to bring you back to the tender pier) because there are more taxis and they seem to be fine with the short hauls.

Hank

Hank mentioned the possibility of a bus.

Here's the schedule - looks to be every 15 minutes and about 15 minutes to Antibes (bus 200). We took it to Antibes and Cannes from Nice on a land trip and recall that it dropped right in town in Antibes and bus stop in Cannes was right at the end of the tender dock as it enters town near the boules courts. Cost of bus is 1 euro.

http://www.cg06.fr/fr/servir-les-habitants/deplacements/transport-collectifs/lignes-et-horaires/lignes-et-horaires/

When we cruised into Cannes we went to Antibes by train (port changed the morning we left for cruise so didn't have time to research bus schedules again). It's a longer walk in both towns to pick up train.

Hank mentioned the possibility of a bus.

Here's the schedule - looks to be every 15 minutes and about 15 minutes to Antibes (bus 200). We took it to Antibes and Cannes from Nice on a land trip and recall that it dropped right in town in Antibes and bus stop in Cannes was right at the end of the tender dock as it enters town near the boules courts. Cost of bus is 1 euro.

http://www.cg06.fr/fr/servir-les-habitants/deplacements/transport-collectifs/lignes-et-horaires/lignes-et-horaires/

When we cruised into Cannes we went to Antibes by train (port changed the morning we left for cruise so didn't have time to research bus schedules again). It's a longer walk in both towns to pick up train.

We agree with your assessment. The problem with trains are the location of stations. Sometimes the buses, which might be slower, and actually faster (and much cheaper) because of where they have bus stops. We also enjoy buses in this region because you do get to see more then when on a train. But we have never used a bus out of Cannes because we normally rent a car (unless we simply want to go to Nice). And if anyone wonders why we like a car....the answer is St Paul de Vence.

Hank

We agree with your assessment. The problem with trains are the location of stations. Sometimes the buses, which might be slower, and actually faster (and much cheaper) because of where they have bus stops. We also enjoy buses in this region because you do get to see more then when on a train. But we have never used a bus out of Cannes because we normally rent a car (unless we simply want to go to Nice). And if anyone wonders why we like a car....the answer is St Paul de Vence.

Hank

Hank, you don't know how many times I've regretted not getting to St. Paul de Vence when we had 4 days in Nice. ARGHH!.

We also only used a bus out of Cannes to go back to Nice (and to get there).

Also, I've only traveled this area in slow season, cruise and land (November). My understanding is during the real high months traffic is horrible - which would favor the train for longer distances (say Cannes to Nice).

Regarding the traffic, it does get pretty busy along the coastal routes. But the fast A8 (E80) route is usually fine during the busiest months. If we are in a hurry we always head to that Autostrade when we need to get a longer distance (like Cannes to Nice). But when we have the time we love to meander along the coastal route and will often make spur of the moment stops if something looks interesting.

We do think that the train is perfect if one only wants to get between the towns along the train line, but once you want to go inland to a place like St Paul de Vence, or go up to Eze Village, etc... its great to have a car.

Hank

Archived