Breakaway 6/2-6/9 with pics

graphicguy

Let me pause for a moment to talk about saling out of NYC to Bermuda with NCL.

You'll hear more of this throughout these posts, but NCL seems to have cut some services to the bone. Embarkation is no exception. What I saw at the pier was a loooong line for check-in and embarkation. Won't bore you with details except to say there were too few NCL assistants in the embarkation and check in lines to handle anywhere near the amount of people The Breakaway can hold.

That said, after an hour, I was indeed on the ship. It is beautiful.

Found out later that some people who showed up earlier were in line as long as 2 hours.:eek:

Just an FYI, we got to the pier at 11:00 and were on board by 11:30! We felt that embarkation and disembarkation were the easiest of all the ships we've been on! I was a little worried about that since the ship holds so many passengers, but we were pleasantly surprised. We are latitudes members, but not platinum.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

...... I can just imagine fellow passengers seeing me sitting alone whispering "....ah honey....look at that poor man....no friends except his food that he's taking pictures of.....".;) .......

That is funny. :D :D I can totally understand.

The food pics just make me hungry anyway. lol

Thanks for posting everything about the studio. We booked one for my MIL and was wondering if people mingled in the lounge? She tends to be pretty social and just wanted to know if there were solo cruisers looking to socialize. Thanks!

Perhaps you can answer this. Knowing that this cabin is very small, the doors to the shower look tiny in the photos. Would a larger sized person be able to use the shower ok? ie, is the shower door about the same as lavatory doors in planes?

Secondly, why is there a door to the next door neighbor's cabin?

....Secondly, why is there a door to the next door neighbor's cabin?

Some of the Studios have connecting doors to the adjoining Studio cabin.

So two BFFs can travel together, yet not have to share a cabin. :)

I'm wondering how the T's without a connecting door differ in their configuation. I've only seen images/video of the connecting T's.

Thanks for the pictures and information about the studio room. It was exactly what I was looking for.

The infamous shower door that just "banged" into my neighbor's cabin....

DSCN0198_zps523398cf.jpg

This is also an issue as it could break the mirror that's on the door.

Lots of people asked me if you could see into the portholes of the cabins. The short answer is "no". I think those portholes were more for "effect" than they were to look into or out of (although, for some reason, they did have shades).

DSCN0057_zpsf4e567cf.jpg

Here's a look across the hall from my cabin door's "Peep hole"...

DSCF0073_zps5989d1a5.jpg

Perhaps you can answer this. Knowing that this cabin is very small, the doors to the shower look tiny in the photos. Would a larger sized person be able to use the shower ok? ie, is the shower door about the same as lavatory doors in planes?

Secondly, why is there a door to the next door neighbor's cabin?

The neighboring cabin door is for those wanting to have connecting rooms without having to stay in the same room, as stated earlier.

I'm an average sized person (I think there's a reflection of my torso in the cabin mirror in one of the pics I posted). Ummmm....the shower has a little metal bar at the bottom that you can put your foot on (assuming it's for the the ladies to shave their legs). So, that was helpful. A bigger person? Probably doable but not very easy if you have to bend over or crouch down.

The shower's small (albeit in a glass enclosure) as is the room for the toilet. Again, worked for me. But, it might not work for someone much larger than me.

Hope that helps.

Maybe this view will give you a better idea of the clossett space. In all frankness, the remote for the TV is not needed. You can reach the TV from your bed.

IMG_1264_zps4c880acc.jpg

Edited by graphicguy

Such a helpful, great review. I was considering booking a studio cabin, but -- largely because this will be my very first cruise -- I decided I wanted a balcony. I was lucky enough that my incredible TA had the foresight to book me into a deck 12 aft-facing balcony... even before all the reports started coming back about how small the regular balconies were.

Looking at the pics and reading your review, I know I made the right call. I think I would wind up finding the Studio incredibly claustrophobic. For my second cruise, I'm booking a studio on the Quantom of the Seas, largely because they have studios with balconies and that makes all the difference in the world for me.

Thanks again!

Richard/Tralfie

Cabin# 11517. I had plenty of hangers, but there was limited drawer space. So, there's no way to have a "dirty laundery" pile in the room. I had to pull my suitcase out from under the bed (not really enough space to leave it set up in the cabin) to deposit all of my dirty clothes every day, and shove it back under the bed.

I figured my suitcase would become my hamper, but it looks like you brought your own hangers from a photo you posted of the closet. I'll have to ask a steward for a bunch for my 12 plus 2 days on board; I'd rather not have to pack any. I'm really looking forward to experiencing this type of cabin.;)

I'll say this up front. The Epic is the better ship. Breakaway has its strong points, which I'll outline as I sort through the rest of the pics and post them. But, given a choice between the Epic or Breakaway, the Epic gets the nod.

Totally agree. We did the Epic in December and loved it. Just got off the Breakaway this morning and was disappointed enough not to book the Getaway. I don't understand the design of the staterooms. Why are the doors to the inside cabins not across from the balcony cabins but rather around a corner in no where's land? And NO drawers? Seriously? The food was no where near as good as the food on the Epic. We had breakfast one morning in O'Sheehans and seriously the french toast was about a half a slice of bread (just thicker). On top of that our waiter was there from the night before and let's just say he wasn't too charming. Service all over was so spotty and the lines for the restaurants...insane! I'm not sure if everything was sub-par because it was a new ship but I'll never again sail on a ship that hasn't been cruising for at least 6 months. That should be enough time to work out the kinks!

Glad you are finding this helpful.

After lunch at O'Sheehans, and finding my Studio, it was time for the muster drill. No muss, no fuss. Quick and easy, you don't even have to take your life jackets with you any more.

Then, it's time for sailaway. Given this was the first time I had sailed out of NYC (have sailed out of Miami, Orlando, New Orleans and San Francisco, but never out of NYC), I was anxious to be on the deck when we pulled away.

Try to get a "spot" before the actual sailaway time (which is 4:00 p.m.)....especially if you want to take pictures. It's tough to take pictures when your 4 deep at the railing.

It also helps to have a camera with a decent zoom lens. As good as iPhone cameras have become, they still fall well short when you need wide angle or zoom capabilities.

Empire State Building near the right side....

DSCN0034_zps11fc3a1a.jpg

Freedom Tower (which they had just finished installing the antenna on top....

DSCN0037_zpsde087b79.jpg

No explanation needed for this one....iPhone shot so a little blurry

DSCN0045_zpsd30d6264.jpg

Little better without the ZOOM...

DSCN0044_zpsb016586d.jpg

Edited by graphicguy

I'll talk about weather as I go along, but this cruise was not the smooth sailing I usually experienced coming out of FL or NOLA. It was overcast when we set sail. And, it really didn't clear up much until we docked in Bermuda. While there were storms that had been (and cotimued to be) on the East Coast, the sailing the Atlantic is different than the Pacific or the Caribbean. Atlantic waters seem to be much rougher, even without storms.

There were plenty of times that the pulls were closed since the seas were rough. And, there were plenty of times it was chilly enouhg to warrant long sleeves....

IMG_1353_zps94048dab.jpg

IMG_1359_zpsb4aceec6.jpg

IMG_1357_zps9a63927e.jpg

Knowing this, getting a pool lounger was not a problem, even when docked in Bermuda. Let's face it, given the opportunity to hit some of the most beautiful beaches in the world in Bermuda, or scrambling for a lounger by a cruise ship pool, I'll take the former.

Cabin# 11517. I had plenty of hangers, but there was limited drawer space. So, there's no way to have a "dirty laundery" pile in the room. I had to pull my suitcase out from under the bed (not really enough space to leave it set up in the cabin) to deposit all of my dirty clothes every day, and shove it back under the bed.

Another place to toss laundry is in the sink shelf area there is cubby in the closet and a pull out metal lined drawer (see left side of photo)

IMG_0009.jpg.html

IMG_0009-1.jpg

Thanks for posting everything about the studio. We booked one for my MIL and was wondering if people mingled in the lounge? She tends to be pretty social and just wanted to know if there were solo cruisers looking to socialize. Thanks!

Yes, I know on the EPIC that there were people in the lounge usually in the early evening hours. Plans for dinner were made there as well as what people were going to do at night. There was a great mix of ages in the group so I think your MIL will be fine, when she's not doing stuff with your family.

I am a big gal and had no issues with the shower in the Epic studio, its larger than an airplane lav.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Trying to catch up...was gone most of the weekend.

I did see people mingle in the Studio Lounge. I always seemed to forget what time it was when they held gatherings there as I was usually doing something else at the time.

But, there were a couple of times I had to go back to my cabin to retrieve something during the gathering times that I saw people mingling. I was in a hurry and stayed just long enough to say "hi". I would imagine if you make it a point to be in the Studio Lounge either in the early a.m. or during cocktail time (5-6 p.m.) you could get to know your Studio cabin mates more than I did.

Sorry to say, I didn't make much of an effort. On the plus side, that means I had met other passengers and made other friends on the cruise that I didn't make time to attend those gatherings.

It shouldn't be an issue meeting others, regardless of whether you attend the formal gatherings or not.

Just as an aside, there was one older gentleman who I believe was in the Studio section who dressed up in a suit to hang out in the Atrium, looking for a dance partner. Unfortunately, I watched him one evening and he was turned down by 3-4 females.

He looked sort of sad. I felt sorry for him. However, I only observed him for about 15 minutes, or so. He could have been just hitting on every woman he saw.....in which case I say..."Go for it"! Worst that can happen is they turn you down.

Saur-Kraut...thanks for chiming in. We must have been posting at the same time.

I did find that little metal pull out drawer. The issue I had with it is it maybe held a couple of my worn boxers and a shirt. That was it. I just ended up pulling out my luggage from underneat the bed and shoving my dirty clothes in it every evening, then shoving it back under the bed.

I really should have spent more time mingling in the a.m. and during cocktails in the evening. In the a.m., I just grabbed a coffee and danish that I took back to my cabin while I got ready for the day. At night, I always seemed to be rushing around to go somewhere else while people were mingling.

And, you're right, there were a lot of different age groups and backgrounds of people when I did stop to say hello during the times when people were in the Lounge, which is a good thing.

Again, thanks for your input!

Another place to toss laundry is in the sink shelf area there is cubby in the closet and a pull out metal lined drawer (see left side of photo)

IMG_0009.jpg.html

IMG_0009-1.jpg

Wouldn't using the metal lined drawer dangerous? I was under the impression that was the trash can for the sink area. At least that is what we use it for and it is emptied daily.

So, with the muster drill behind me, it was time to wander and explore....

Since this was kind of a "all about me" cruise, I decided I was going to get a massage and a professional shave. This is where you go for those....

DSCN0070_zpsa31e0af3.jpg

DSCN0076_zps1ab277f2.jpg

Just a quick note....we all know that the massages and services on cruise ships are over priced. But, if you combine them (what NCL calls 10-20-30) you can get some fairly decent discounts on their most expensive spa services. They're still on the high side, but if you're going to get more than one of those services, ask about the 10-20-30 (first service is 10% off, 2nd is 20% off, 3rd is 30% off). I ended up with a hot stone massage, a shave and a facial (a first for me).

All of them outstanding. Their spa crew is the best I've encountered on any cruise line or cruise ship. They're experienced, good at their jobs, and don't try to shove the waaaayyyyyyy overpriced "elixirs" they sell on you if you tell them you don't want them.

Again, most of this staff came from the Epic.

Edited by graphicguy

One of the ways I keep my "waiting/weighting frustration" at bay (you know, waiting for the elevator, waiting for a dinner table, weighting frustration after eating that desert, or the mightly mozzarella sticks, etc), I use the stairs whevever possible. I also hit the gym every a.m.

Breakaway has a good one. The elipticals, treadmills, bikes, rowers, weights, "nautilus" machines, are all top tier and some of the best you'll find anywhere. Plus, you can overlook the ocean while working out. What's not to like for an hour every a.m.?

DSCN0074_zpse684b606.jpg

DSCN0075_zpsdecc5145.jpg

Thanks for your review from a solo perspective. I'm doing my first solo sailing on the Epic's westbound transatlantic in October 2014, and I'm a little nervous about it. I'm also glad to read your affirmation of the quality of the Epic relative to Breakaway. As nervous as I am about a 3-week vacation all by myself, I am really looking forward to staying in the Studio complex.

Cheers, and keep it coming! :)

One of the ways I keep my "waiting/weighting frustration" at bay (you know, waiting for the elevator, waiting for a dinner table, weighting frustration after eating that desert, or the mightly mozzarella sticks, etc), I use the stairs whevever possible. I also hit the gym every a.m.

Breakaway has a good one. The elipticals, treadmills, bikes, rowers, weights, "nautilus" machines, are all top tier and some of the best you'll find anywhere. Plus, you can overlook the ocean while working out. What's not to like for an hour every a.m.?

Thanks for the great review, we are looking into booking the Breakaway in September, I also always take the stairs on a cruise.

Does the breakaway have an outdoor running track?

Thanks