Sun cream advice please

sam49

My husband and I plus two teenage daughters will be flying from the Uk to New York for two nights before boarding Explorer of the Seas for nine nights.

In order to keep within our weight restriction with the airline I have decided to buy suncream in NY. Any suggestions for good brands to buy that are not too expensive (this cruise has cost us a fortune so far!) and what is the best chemist (drugstore?) to buy them from.

Thanks in advance

Brand really doesn't matter, so for the amount you'll need, do look for something not too expensive.

Look for a Wal-mart, Target, CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc.....all of those places will carry sunscreen. So will most grocery stores!

It's the SPF factor you need to look at....30-45 is more than enough. Higher SPFs cost more but don't provide as much protection as you'll be paying for! Each adult will need 1 oz ( a shotglass full) every 2 hours while in the sun! Even waterproof sunscreen will wipe off if you towel off, so reapply!

Banana Boat, Coppertone, Bain de Solei...are common brands....all will work equally well. Yes...even the store brands! It's the SPF that's the important thing! Some are oils, some are lotions and some are sprays! Take your choice!

The 30-45 sunscreens are not enough. You need a least a 50, and last month my dermatologist said to go with no less than 100. New findings apparently have shown that the actual strength of the sunscreens is half of the stated number. Walgreen's has a good 100 strength sunscreen at a good price. Since I am in the the sun a lot in Arizona and Mexico, I start with the 100 in the morning, and regularly add on 50 throughout the day.

If you are staying in NYC, the most common drug store you'll find is probably Duane Reade, but you may find the others posted above which are fine. I recently tried Neutragena Wet/Dry spray and it's great. It sprays evenly, is waterproof and dries quickly. I think they make a generic version too. It's in a light blue can.

It all depends on your skin type. If you burn easily, you'll need a higher factor. Of course, in the summer time you also need more and higher protection then other times as the sun is closer to earth then. Also, I prefer oil instead of milk. The oil based offer less protection, so I'll start off with a F-50 milkbased sunscreen and later on, when you've adjusted to the sun, switch to oilbased. Just be aware of potential stains on your clothing when using oilbased ones.

I have found that Ocean Potion works best for me. Many people who work outside in the sun all day swear by it. I particularly love their "face" formula, which is made of clear zinc oxide.

One word of warning, if you have any skin sensitivity problems at all, you might want to rethink your plan. Nothing worse (okay, lots of things are worse...) than finding out you are allergic to a new sunscreen product while you are on vacation! Either bring your own, or make sure you can buy your regular brand.

I live out here in Southern California , lots of sun. And my skin doctor says you need a high number on your Sunscreen, I have had melanoma cancer because of previous sun damage and now I personally use Neutrogena 55, it is a good product and it will provide you with good protection. You should be able to purchase it at most of the stores mentioned on the list in the previous post. I am careful with what I use, I have had melanoma surgery and now I use this product to protect me. You and your family have a wonderful cruise.

Cori

Guest maddycat

I also use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 55 or higher. My dermatologist recommended it. It's very lightweight, not oily and waterproof. I have very sensitive skin and it doesn't irritate my skin.

CVS is another drug store chain that is in NYC. Ask at your hotel. They'll be able to tell you what is nearby and has good prices.

I use Philosophy Shelter for my face -- very gentle AND effective. I have rosacea so I have to be extra-careful with what I put on my face, and this works for me. Non-greasy, applies easily -- also, there is no scent at all (great for sensitive skin) - even my husband used it on our last cruise and he loved it! Kind regards and I hope you find something you like.

Archived