Cunard Formal Nights

LoeyCruiser

Whilst the subject of gowns and evening dresses is the hot topic on here atm, I thought I would post some of the current things that inspire me:

This one was worn by Gladys George who played Mme. du Barry in the 1939 film version of Marie Antoinette.

i-sg8ZDvV-L.jpg

Fantastic...

Too much for afternoon tea in the Queens Grill Lounge?

You don't see enough yellow these days.

Halston....inspired

I knew this one reminded me of something.

Hand gel dispenser seen on QE April 2011

J

027_DSC9523_hand_gel_zpsd575853c.jpg

You may be slightly overdressed if

a) when you sit down your bustle/shoulder accessories/etc. knock the person next to you off their chair

or

b) said person sitting next to you attempts to spoon soup into their mouth and finds that they end up with a mouthful of your sleeve

Inspiration wise. . . The newest Lagerfeld (Or have I mixed up my designers? All I know is I saw a video of this at Neiman Marcus the other day) collection that's so Elizabethan inspired really got me going. Too bad I could never fit into any of those dresses, they'd be perfect for the Elizabethan ball.

Sometimes I wear brown shoes - sometimes I don't.

3Queens1637Small_zps49dc3fce.jpg

I am sure that you love certain things -- it's just that you (and others like you) are always trying to force your ideas and loves upon others.

Personally, I couldn't care less what you or anybody else wears at the table with me - on a formal night or any other night. They will not spoil my enjoyment. I have cruised with Cunard in the past for obviously different reasons than you - but my reasons are no less valid than yours.

Barry

Let me explain..I pay GOOD money to travel on a cruiseline that reflects MY(and many other's) tastes.When people who dressdown, travel on Cunard, it insults me & those who have chosen this line for it's timeless sense of style. Yes, I would object to someone dressed like a slob(and I HAVE gotten them ejected)who sits at my table. Do I flip out if someone's wearing a sportcoat & no tie or nice shirt & slacks on formal night? no, not at all. Do I flip out if someone is wearing shorts & wifebeater T shirt during formal night..Yes absolutely!(seen it & got him ejected). Sorry, but as I said: I pay good money for my trips. If pax don't want to follow the dresscodes, then choose another line!

They just don't design clothes properly for gals who are only 5 foot 3 inches!

And thank you, Pepper, for your comments.

My mother was only 4'11". She had some really stunning outfits! As a real little kid around 1960 I remember coming in & seeing her with a "Mamie Eisenhower" hairdoo! Thank God, she never did a Jaccky Kennedy hairdoo. I think my father would have flipped!

Do I flip out if someone is wearing shorts & wifebeater T shirt during formal night..Yes absolutely!(seen it & got him ejected).

I have only been on 4 Cunard cruises -- but I have never seen anything that even REMOTELY approached that extreme on ANY night -- formal or otherwise. And -- on all of those 4 cruises, there was a major contingent of Australians onboard :)

Where are all these people wearing shorts and wifebeater t-shirts coming from ?? - and what type of cruises brings them out??

Barry

Oooh, lovely! Photos?

Have fun taking it up. I looked at one with all-over sequins and realised I would have to unpick the sequins if I wanted a neat hemline. (I once saw a dress designer unpicking sequins on fabric in order to sew the seams for a wedding dress. Seemed a lot of work.

Now that would rather spoil the surprise. But I can say that it is in the style of a ball gown and the designer took inspiration from Monet's garden at Giverny.

I have only been on 4 Cunard cruises -- but I have never seen anything that even REMOTELY approached that extreme on ANY night -- formal or otherwise. And -- on all of those 4 cruises, there was a major contingent of Australians onboard :)

Where are all these people wearing shorts and wifebeater t-shirts coming from ?? - and what type of cruises brings them out??

Barry

I've on been on only eleven QM2 cruises, and I haven't seen anyone wearing a t-shirt and shorts to dinner in Britannia. But it is possible that I missed something. All I can say with certainty is that I enjoyed the company of my table mates. Even when Old Him and I share a table for two ;) Cheers, -S.

P.S. Nice threads, Barry. Just as you described. I hope and trust that it won't become necessary for passengers to post photos to prove that they abide by and embrace the formal dress code. Down that road, I will not go.

Cheers,

Salacia

P.S. Nice threads, Barry. Just as you described. I hope and trust that it won't become necessary for passengers to post photos to prove that they abide by and embrace the formal dress code. Down that road, I will not go.

Cheers,

Salacia

Oh I don't know - maybe a live feed of the restaurant entrance broadcast to four judges from the Fashion Police (and the wider public) - you only get through to eat if you receive 3 out of 4 yeses from the judges.

We'd need someone who is prepared to be quite offensive & insulting about the clothes of the truly under-dressed... any offers?

I might be on to something here, I might write to the TV companies to see if they have ever thought of a similar format for selecting mediocre pop stars.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

What's worse is that Whitemarsh's posts just inspired me to purchase another gown.

Yay!! :)

Inspiration wise. . . The newest Lagerfeld (Or have I mixed up my designers? All I know is I saw a video of this at Neiman Marcus the other day) collection that's so Elizabethan inspired really got me going. Too bad I could never fit into any of those dresses, they'd be perfect for the Elizabethan ball.

It might have been Alexander McQueen.

Hi Whitemarsh,

From your profile picture, I am sure you are a beautiful young lady. I enjoy the pictures you have posted with lovely dresses. Now a favour, could you post something in which women over 50 are modelling?

I have found an article in the guardian about fashion for women over 50.

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2013/mar/29/50-best-dressed-over-50s?picture=406350854

Ivi

I have worn a full ball gown on almost every QM2 cruise on which I have been; the only which I did not pack it was a 6 day Norwegian Fjords trip.

It is one of the fitted bodice, large full skirt, silk taffeta variety. I also pack a few straight full length evening gowns, and I also always pack cocktail dresses for every night. I would not feel right "dressing down" on a line which has such a wonderful history, and has hosted royalty, movie stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood, authors, and so many more illustrious figures. I don't even wear jeans during the day, although I have worn Lilly sundresses on the Caribbean. For those that feel differently & want to dress down, Cunard just asks they use the buffet/ Winter Garden at night.

I will admit although many women have floor length evening gowns, I am in the minority on the strapless ballgown. It does not bother me in the least to be the only one, and I am guessing it may be age difference as my husband and I skew younger than many Cunard travelers. We also drive to NY, leaving us a great deal of suitcase room!

But the beautiful pix on this thread have inspired me, and I will be shopping for a new ball gown tonight! After all, my current one has seen the ship 12 times already - time for retirement!

Hi Whitemarsh,

From your profile picture, I am sure you are a beautiful young lady. I enjoy the pictures you have posted with lovely dresses. Now a favour, could you post something in which women over 50 are modelling?

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2013/mar/29/50-best-dressed-over-50s?picture=406350854

Ivi

:) I'm looking forward to replies to this post :)

Barry

Hi Whitemarsh,

Ivi

Don't place too much emphasis on Whitey's avatar! :D:D:D

J

Barry

Out of New York in 2008. Caribbean trip. It was the worst example I ever saw. We found out from the guy's tablemates that he was planning this to flaunt the dresscode. Amazingly enough the Maitre D allowed him in(or missed him as he went by. We were sitting a few tables over. I got the Maitre D & demanded he expell the guy. He did, but only after I(and others really complained about it)The Maitre D's response is we don't like to upset paying customers!..uhh yeah.In 2009 we had a French guy come into the Princess Grill in his bathing suit! He hoped to have lunch.I'm all for casual in the day..but 1)a bathing suit? 2)He wasn't a Grills Pax.

Hi Whitemarsh,

Ivi

Yes, that wouldn't bother me.

I heard a gentleman complain to the maitre d' that men had removed their jackets and put them on the back of their chairs. At least they wore a jacket into the restaurant.

Yes, that wouldn't bother me.Wrong post earlier!

Hi Whitemarsh,

Ivi

I think that many of Whitemarsh's recent fashion pictures were of dresses and ballgowns that are suitable to be worn by ladies over 50.

I am sure that I won't stop buying designer clothes when I reach 50.

Oh I don't know - maybe a live feed of the restaurant entrance broadcast to four judges from the Fashion Police (and the wider public) - you only get through to eat if you receive 3 out of 4 yeses from the judges.

We'd need someone who is prepared to be quite offensive & insulting about the clothes of the truly under-dressed... any offers?

I might be on to something here, I might write to the TV companies to see if they have ever thought of a similar format for selecting mediocre pop stars.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

You may be seeking to amuse us, but there is a grain of truth in what you say. This did happen in QG on QE2. There were self-appointed Fashion Police who would position themselves so as to scan the passengers entering the QG restaurant and they would then make a fuss if they felt the person (usually a man) was underdressed according to the dress code of the evening.

Someone once posted how Andrew Nelder was so adept at dealing with dress code infractions on QE2. Well, he had to become so because the QG dress code ****s would have been after him if he allowed standards to drop.

I did not like the QE2 version of the Fashion Police because they were humourless and argumentative. The current Cunard Fashion Police are kindliness personified compared to them.

Archived