Picture of the Royal Balconies

Psychedout

It would be interesting to learn what the thinking was in the design of this ship.

By not having any ocean view (non-balcony) cabins they are forcing people who would like to have some natural light, and a view of the ocean, into a balcony cabin when they do not necessarily want a balcony and might rather have the savings of an ocean view cabin.

Conversely, they are disappointing those who book a balcony because they enjoy spending time on the balcony, and want the additional space.

Perhaps Princess is looking to tap into a new demographic, which looks at the interior amenities of the ship as being the primary draw?

The new rock-hard chairs on the balconies on my last few cruises have been so uncomfortable, unrelaxing and for me, so unusable that I decided a few months ago to not book balcony cabins in the future.

Pam, could you possibly estimate the width of the new and improved (haha) balcony chairs? I'm sailing 28 days on Sapphire on Caribe . We are contemplating taking cushions to mitigate the discomfort of the chairs. I sailed earlier with the new chairs and was extremely uncomfortable, but didn't think to measure them. I'm thinking about 18inches? Thanks!

Tricia

P.S. I agree with you 100%. We loved the older chairs and lounges and were greatly disappointed when they were replaced. I'm wondering if Princess ordered the newer, narrrower chairs in anticipation of the new/narrower balconies??? :(

Hi Bernie

What did you do about Royal's TA? Would still love to meet you. Cruising seems to be a large family - you run into each other every couple of years!! I know our paths will cross on the high seas. Hopefully it will happen st a nice restaurant in Lewes!!

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Kathleen, we are still booked on the Royal - got non-refundable Business class airfare with points - and I will have a good time on a new ship. Soooo glad I booked 18 months out and got an extended balcony!!! (w/no upgrades). Lets try for a September dinner sometime in Lewes?

• 9 months later...
Hello! I hope I don't faint when I see my balcony size on December 15th. We booked a mini suite M411 that has an angled balcony that is suppose to be 72ft. Is that a decent size for 3 adults? We did have an aft premium balcony room booked, but when my father in-law decided to come, I thought changing to a mini suite would be a better idea. Not sure what to do now. Please help!:eek:

Seadiva2, we are booked in this room and the adjoining M415 on the July 2 Med cruise on the Regal Princess. Do you have any pics of this room or balcony? I am a little worried about 'privacy' issues with the walk-way above the rooms.

Does the rest of the fleet have a Marina Deck? Do the Grand, Star, Golden have Riviera and Marina Decks? My point is they are adding decks. Something has to compensate.

I disagree. I would bet that the next class of ships that Princess builds won't have tiny balconies and there may be a return to pools and pool areas similar to the Grand class. They'll learn from their mistakes and move on. For now, these ships will be deployed in cool weather itineraries like British Isles and Baltic Seas.

As a customer, I got a great price on my Baltic itinerary on the Royal Princess this summer and I'm not complaining. I'll be in a mini suite for $5,600 for 11 days, after paying over $6,000 for a standard balcony on a 12-day British Isles on the Caribbean Princess two years ago (same exact week of the year). I bet they never thought that they not only wouldn't get a premium on a new ship, but they also wouldn't have to discount so much. This design was more of a infield pop up for Princess rather than a home run. Back to the drawing board for the next class.