Picture of the Royal Balconies

Psychedout

If we sail on the Royal we'll book an inside. We love the balcony but it's not worth the price for such a tiny little ledge. More likely we just won't sail that ship (or the Regal since I don't doubt it will be the same).

We have C752 booked on the Grand for our next cruise. A nice big aft Caribe balcony on the corner. We're looking forward to the extra large balcony with the bit of wrap around. Time spent on the balcony is quality time. :D

We have that cabin booked for Ruby for 2015. Regal was doing a similiar but less steller itinerary and they wanted over $300 more for an aft on Regal. Not happening. :eek:

I too believe they are very small but to be fair that is part of the non-cantilevered design (which people have been complaining about for years). More importantly, we are balcony people and use it quite a bit during our cruises but it is not commonplace. I agree with the previous posters that state that it is not uncommon to look about and see very very few people on their balconies. Their size may not be a big deal to many people.

Their size may not be a big deal to many people.

Except that every time someone new to Princess posts a question here about which balconies are best (on a Grand Class ship), there is virtual unanimity that Caribe Deck cabins are the obvious choice. (With some strong support for aft-facing cabins as well). I've never, EVER seen anyone post: "While Caribe cabins give you larger balconies, you really can select any cabin because that extra room really doesn't matter." Whether people use their balconies or not, (and I can only speak for our family to say that we use ours extensively), people seem to uniformly agree that bigger is better.

I too believe they are very small but to be fair that is part of the non-cantilevered design (which people have been complaining about for years). More importantly, we are balcony people and use it quite a bit during our cruises but it is not commonplace. I agree with the previous posters that state that it is not uncommon to look about and see very very few people on their balconies. Their size may not be a big deal to many people.

We have always observed and commented that balconies are under utilized. We use ours throughout the day everyday, but we notice that we never see anyone out on over 90% of the balconies.

While I know my comment doesn't solve people's dissatisfaction, I did read that the cruise companies are taking notice of under used space on the ships.

I did read that the cruise companies are taking notice of under used space on the ships.

It may be "underused space" but at the same time it is "paid for space".

All of our discussions will have no effect on future builds.

Bookings of these ships with the miniature balconies will tell the story.

Mike:)

While balconies may be "underused space" and unimportant to some cruisers, to those of us who use our balcony a lot, the space is important for our total cruise experience. For that reason, it's unlikely that we will book a cruise on the Royal or the Regal. I understand that to some people the size of their cabin and balcony (if they book a balcony cabin) makes no difference because they spend most of their time outside the cabin. We, on the other hand, spend a lot of time in our cabin and it's size, amenities etc. is very significant in our enjoyment of a cruise. We all have different things that make a cruise enjoyable. That's obvious from the posts about things like the existence of ballroom dancing venues onboard ships or a wraparound promenade deck. That's why it's so nice that there are many ships and cruise lines to choose from so we can all make our choices based on what best fits us.

We are also huge balcony users. Even just coming back to the cabin and checking the outside for a bit.

I will never be booking a Royal or Regal cruise unless I get an aft balcony. Once those are sold, the ship will be sold out for me. Lots of other great ships in the fleet with which to sail.

In my opinion, this is another case of "what were they thinking? Not clearly, I don't believe!

Princess, let me get this straight: for her Inagural Caribbean season, you want to charge me a premium price, more per day than I paid for a world cruise per day, for a veranda where I have to sit sideways?

Time to look at MSC Divina. This will be her Inagural Caribbean season and is almost as new as Royal Princess. And, she appears to have many WOW features as well.

Very disappointing, Princess!

We were on the first Preview sailing. I was shocked when I walked out on the balcony and found I couldn't face the sea without having my knees virtually against the glass.

We have now cancelled our Caribbean trip on the Royal for next year. The lack of deck space around the pools (and the lack of the aft pool), the cabanas at the retreat pool which will block views and take up space coupled with the tiny balconies means that I can't see a way to relax in the sunshine!

Word of warning too, don't go for Marina deck as the overhang is huge too!

RoyalPrincess2013020_zps02e620ce.jpg

Kinda makes you wonder if they have a different market in mind for these ships like local Far East :confused:

If one looks at most apartments in Japan ... they are tiny by our standards.

That would be great - then Princess can bring Diamond and Sapphire back from Asia!

With sun size balconies .... what is the reason to not enjoy the sun class ships. Still think they are the best overall... :eek:

Sun rules and the royal ... well seem a little short :eek:

Amen brother!

We were on the first Preview sailing. I was shocked when I walked out on the balcony and found I couldn't face the sea without having my knees virtually against the glass.

We have now cancelled our Caribbean trip on the Royal for next year. The lack of deck space around the pools (and the lack of the aft pool), the cabanas at the retreat pool which will block views and take up space coupled with the tiny balconies means that I can't see a way to relax in the sunshine!

Word of warning too, don't go for Marina deck as the overhang is huge too!

RoyalPrincess2013020_zps02e620ce.jpg

This is what worries me. I've read more than one post that says you can't even turn the chair straight out and you can't stretch your legs out. I spend a great deal of time on my balcony and I want to relax there. I don't want to feel like I'm in an airplane seat with my knees against the glass. Whether or not people use their balcony a lot is irrelevant. I pay for that space when I book the cabin. I'm booked on the Regal next fall for the Maiden TA. I wanted a comfy balcony for that cruise. I'm probably going to look at other ships and maybe they won't be Princess.

I am sure many people will book a balcony and have absolutely no idea the size until they get there. After all, how many times do we see reviews where people are surprised to find that tips are not included, alcohol is extra, bathrooms are small, and you have to dress on certain nights? So, they surely will not know the size of the balcony until they get there. As for us, we will not book a cabin with a balcony this small.

Minority, yes. But a significant number of cruisers? Also yes. Remember that 25% is a minority. But what business would want to frustrate 25% of its customers?
I can think of a dozen of large corporations off the top of my head that do this all the time. Evidently they have their valid reasons and aren't preoccupied of irritating the 25%. It's impossible to please everyone all the time. I'm guessing there is a new customer born every minute.

We are thinking of booking our 1st cruise on Princess. We have sailed RCI and carnival. My family always books balconies together and we open the dividers. Can u open the dividers on Princess? Specifically the Royal? Or any of their ships for that matter.

Can u open the dividers on Princess? Specifically the Royal? Or any of their ships for that matter.

With a very few exceptions, the cabin attendents can open up these dividers.

Nobody has posted specifically about the Royal, but the picture earlier in this thread does show a lock so it appears this will be true for the Royal also.

Edited by caribill

A review was posted today from someone in a penthouse...

"When we eventually arrived in the cabin, although it was smaller than previous it seemed better laid out and looked very nice until we got the shock of our lives when we opened the patio door to the balcony to find that the balcony is only approximately a metre in depth. There is no room to put a lounger and no room to have a dining experience as they say in their literature on the balcony. There is no room for foot stools as shown in the brochure, in fact we had friends in a deluxe balcony cabin and their balcony with the same depth."

Princess really needs to fix the drawings of the suites. Extremely deceiving as so few look like the drawing

On the subject of those tiny balconies, what about the chairs? I understand why they're small (1) to fit on the balcony and (2) to create an illusion of size. But if you're at all overweight, good luck in trying to get comfortable on those chairs. Yikes.... :eek:

A review was posted today from someone in a penthouse...

"When we eventually arrived in the cabin, although it was smaller than previous it seemed better laid out and looked very nice until we got the shock of our lives when we opened the patio door to the balcony to find that the balcony is only approximately a metre in depth. There is no room to put a lounger and no room to have a dining experience as they say in their literature on the balcony. There is no room for foot stools as shown in the brochure, in fact we had friends in a deluxe balcony cabin and their balcony with the same depth."

Princess really needs to fix the drawings of the suites. Extremely deceiving as so few look like the drawing

Thank Heaven for Cruisecritic and all of the members... who share their onboard experiences and information!! At least we have a "heads up" on what to expect! :D I feel sorry for everyone (non-cruisecritic) who will be expecting a balcony and get a "shock" when they see the "Shelf" they have to sit on.

We are fortunate to have booked a Aft Deluxe Cabin for our Royal Princess Nov cruise... so we should have a larger balcony. Still not sure if it is partially covered though?? :confused:

I agree the brochures should be more accurate in describing cabins.

Pat :)

Edited by 2Canucks