24 Hour Room Service

out2winbig

Try to print the above menu and take it with you.

Last cruise I couldnt find one.

Carnival used to provide a blue binder of information in each cabin, and the room service menu was inside that. The binder went the way of the cutbacks though. You just have to guess what they might have now. I think that is Carnival's way of fooling newbies. Unless you knew ahead of time, a new cruiser might not know that room service exists except for the paper continental breakfast door tag they use.

For the most part, it has always been a cold food menu except for a couple grilled sandwiches. There is no menu of hot food like what you'd be served in the dining room.

On my more recent cruises, I've found that if you order from the continental breakfast door hanger, the food arrives timely. But if you call room service, there is typically a pretty long wait. Much faster to go up on deck and grab something.

Have a great cruise!

the buffet area will have the same stuff as the MDR minus a few items. you can go there and grab your food and take it back to the cabin.

the room service menu is fleet wide - it is what it is- you can not write in soemthing that is not on that menu.

BUT when ordering make sure you order you condiments-- creamers for coffee, milk for cereal.

Potato chips with sandwiches

But remember that there aren't food trays at the buffet anymore. They were part of the cutbacks. If you want to take food to the cabin from the buffet, it can be difficult unless you're a juggler.

You are assuming that the extra food is brought to the table when all the entrees are served and that it just sits there taking up space until the people who ordered the food "to go" take it with them at the end of their meal. That's not the case. People who do this usually order the food when orders are taken but expect the "to go" order to be kept hot in the kitchen until the conclusion of the meal and THEN brought out from the kitchen. It is this part of the process which causes extra work and takes time away from service to those in the dining room. Also, remember the kitchen is one or two decks below the dining room and are accessed by escalators and long walks through hallways. Ordering in this way is an imposition to the staff and negatively impacts service to those who come to the dining room to eat their meals.

in the case i was talking about, the order was placed when we ordered and then covered and brought back when we were done, no strain on the staff, and by the way the head waiter on the Freedom (Eric - who was awesome by the way) suggested it - we picked something that would hold up to the wait... and they are expecting us in the dining room so i don't see how that could be added work for the team.

There's always been a room service menu in the cabin. If not ask your steward, they will get one. I've never had more than a 7 minute wait for room service, even when I ordered a grilled cheese in the middle of the night. (Almost every night). Please remember to tip the room service delivery person, I always tip 2$. I keep a stack of ones next to the safe just for this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I take it the items under beverages are free? Ie. milk, juice, coffee?

absolutely - only charge items are those that would cost in the dining room...aka bar items and specialty coffee (don't think espresso and capp are on the room service menu):D

But remember that there aren't food trays at the buffet anymore. They were part of the cutbacks. If you want to take food to the cabin from the buffet, it can be difficult unless you're a juggler.

Helpful hint: We keep a room service tray to carry things back from the buffet if we feel the need to.

Am I crazy or did the room service menus used to be in a binder type thing? lol. We tried calling on our last cruise and I had to ask where the menu was...didn't see it mixed in all of the paperwork. Also, just a side note-the room service was CRAZY slow. It literally took almost 5 minutes just to get through and about an hour to get the food. Not complaining because it was free (minus tip) but I've personally never seen it take that long. :)

We ordered room service on the Dream one evening instead of going to dinner. My husband had done too much on his feet and his knee was very swollen and painful. It took 2.25 hours for them to deliver our food. I had him all tucked in bed with pain meds, an ice Pak, and a drink and needed to stick around to let the guy in the room with the food. I could NOT believe how long they took.

NOTE

Do NOT put out the Do Not Disturb sign after ordering room service. They are trained to honor the do not disturb request.

They will turn around and take your food back to the kitchen.

They may or may not call you when they return to the kitchen. Depends on how busy they are.

Good to know this

I take it the items under beverages are free? Ie. milk, juice, coffee?

Soda cards are not good for room service.

We ordered room service on the Dream one evening instead of going to dinner. My husband had done too much on his feet and his knee was very swollen and painful. It took 2.25 hours for them to deliver our food..
Holy crap- I would have called after 1 hour. Sounds like they forgot you

I decided not to eat in the MDR one night. Got the BLT and green salad from RS. Every night I ordered a carton of skim milk (first night ordered the cookies and kept them in my desk for cookies & milk for bedtime). Every morning had toast and juice for morning medications before going to breakfast.

Nothing took more than a half hour and I kept $1 bills for tips (tipped more for the sandwich & salad).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carnival used to provide a blue binder of information in each cabin, and the room service menu was inside that. The binder went the way of the cutbacks though. You just have to guess what they might have now. I think that is Carnival's way of fooling newbies. Unless you knew ahead of time, a new cruiser might not know that room service exists except for the paper continental breakfast door tag they use.

For the most part, it has always been a cold food menu except for a couple grilled sandwiches. There is no menu of hot food like what you'd be served in the dining room.

On my more recent cruises, I've found that if you order from the continental breakfast door hanger, the food arrives timely. But if you call room service, there is typically a pretty long wait. Much faster to go up on deck and grab something.

Have a great cruise!

You must cruise a different cruise line then I do. Room service menus are always laid out on the vanity/desk. The binders are gone primarily due to many guest thinking they were souvenirs. Most newbies are well aware of room service. In the event there is no menu there are usually a stack of them laying on guest services desk or contact your room steward. Yes they only have sandwiches, but who wants to eat a full course meal in their room. If you want to bring food from lido. The staff will provide a cover to keep your food warm. Carnival room service speed of service is on par with 5 star hotels. Usually around 20-30 minutes.

Room service is great for a late 2nd dinner or snack. It's free so why complain. Enjoy it.

• 1 month later...
I wish Carnival would ban this practice. A Food and Beverage Manager for CCL explained to me this practice places added strain on the service staff as it is time consuming and slows down service to those who are seated in the dining room. Carnival has already reduced service with the "three team member" approach to table service. Making us wait longer while the staff fetches meals for people not present in the dining room does a disservice to those who come to the dining room for their meals.

This is not a flame of the poster, but rather a comment on CCL's F and B mismanagement of their human resources.

When I was on the Valor I over heard the waiter speaking to the table right to next of this. At least on that ship "To-Go" orders are not allowed. Neither are doggy bags. They cited food safety for the reason.

Is it considered acceptable to order sandwiches from room service and take them with you at a port to eat while on the beach?

Many, if not all ports have strict agricultural restrictions - factory packaged foods are usually all you can take ashore. (not saying people don't do it)

The Splendor HAS food trays! For how long, I don't know, but they had them in June and I was a happy camper. We were right below the buffet, but on deck 6. I brought food back to the room a couple of times - mostly on port days.

If they ever do away with them, I'm bringing my own!

How can there be no trays at the buffet :confused: ? How are people expected to hold plate, napkins, utensils and a drink all at the same time, especially young children, people with canes or parents with very young children? This does not make sense.

How can there be no trays at the buffet :confused: ? How are people expected to hold plate, napkins, utensils and a drink all at the same time, especially young children, people with canes or parents with very young children? This does not make sense.

I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering, with just me trying to juggle it I would have a plate in the ground. Children on the other hand would have a hot mess!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived