Are you going on a Pacific Northwest cruise?

What is the cheapest &/or non-hassle way of getting from Vancouver to Seattle? We still haven't figures it out yet.

If you don't care about scenery and just want to get there fast, www.Quickcoach.com is pretty convenient. If you want to spend the day sight-seeing in Vancouver and then spend a night or two in Seattle, I think the train is much nicer.

There's a passenger ferry from Seattle to Victoria (Victoria Clipper) but not to Vancouver.

We need to head south from Vancouver to Seattle next month. I will have to ask my mother again which one she wants to do.

Has anyone taken a bus & a train? How long does each take? Which was more comfortable/enjoyable? Is the train faster since it doesn't have to stop at the border? Probably the train will be better.

I must say, I have not done either, linnealee. However, I have been researching those very same questions for weeks now. The ONLY reason not to take the train than I have seen, is that it only goes each way once a day, and may not fit a particular schedule.

I believe the travel time and cost are close to the same. (Traffic isn't an issue for the train.) And everything I have read indicates that the train is MUCH more scenic and comfortable, again, as long as the departure and arrival times meet your needs.

HUbby is looking forward to our train ride ALMOST as much as the cruise! http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

Thanks for responding Michelle, perhaps we shall do the train. I have not ridden a train since I was a child, so it is long overdue. I shall explore this option, thank God for the internet. ;)

-Linnea

I must say, I have not done either, linnealee. However, I have been researching those very same questions for weeks now. The ONLY reason not to take the train than I have seen, is that it only goes each way once a day, and may not fit a particular schedule.

I believe the travel time and cost are close to the same. (Traffic isn't an issue for the train.) And everything I have read indicates that the train is MUCH more scenic and comfortable, again, as long as the departure and arrival times meet your needs.

HUbby is looking forward to our train ride ALMOST as much as the cruise! http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

Hubby and I are on a 'Cruise and Stay' starting May 18, 06. Fly from Vancouver to SanDeigo, stay in SanDeigo May 18,19,20, board Radiance of the Seas the 21st, 6 nights back to Vancouver, ports of call, San Francisco, Astoria and Victoria. Great prices on this repositiong cruise also. We have a balcony room on the west (sunset) side while traveling north, and hope for lovely weather and beautiful sunsets! Just over 4 weeks to wait!! :)

Hi everyone, Just wondering how many of you are booked for a upcoming P.N.W. cruise this year? We are sailing the Mercury 5 nights Sept,19th out of Seattle. 2 days of cruising the Inside Passage and stops in Vancouver & Prince Rupert. Any one else?

Hubby and I are on the 'Cruise and stay' starting May 18. Fly from Vancouver to SanDeigo on the 18 for 3 days in SanDiego, board the Radiance on the 21st for 6 nights. Ports San Francisco, Astoria, and Victoria. We are hoping for great weather on our west facing balcony, lots of sun and beautiful sunsets! Just over 4 wks to wait!!

We need to head south from Vancouver to Seattle next month. I will have to ask my mother again which one she wants to do.

Has anyone taken a bus & a train? How long does each take? Which was more comfortable/enjoyable? Is the train faster since it doesn't have to stop at the border? Probably the train will be better.

We are taking the train down to Seattle on May 5th. Have done it before. The main difference/benefit is that on the train you can move around and in general you are more comfortable. On the bus you are stuck in your seat for 3+ hrs. The only train leaves daily at 6PM and arrives in Seattle around 10PM.

Hope this helps.

We are taking the train down to Seattle on May 5th. Have done it before. The main difference/benefit is that on the train you can move around and in general you are more comfortable. On the bus you are stuck in your seat for 3+ hrs. The only train leaves daily at 6PM and arrives in Seattle around 10PM.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I did check the schedules & we either will take the bus or the 6pm train if we decide to hang around Vancouver. I would like to check the city out since I haven't been before & there was a TV show filmed there I really liked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I will be on the Radiance from SD to Vancouver also. I didn't book til a few weeks ago. I got the last GS....very excited about that. My question is......recommendations for hotels in Vancouver and Seattle. We are thinking of renting a car to drive from Vancouver to Seattle. Any ideas or suggestions??

Hubby and I will be on the Radiance from SD to Vancouver also. I didn't book til a few weeks ago. I got the last GS....very excited about that. My question is......recommendations for hotels in Vancouver and Seattle. We are thinking of renting a car to drive from Vancouver to Seattle. Any ideas or suggestions??

Welcome to our cruise. Have you visited our roll call thread yet? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=200049

It's an active thread and a good way to get to know a little about some fo the people on board. We plan on meeting at the skybar at sailaway for a little meet & mingle (the ship doesnt sponsor it since it's less than 7 nights). Some people are also meeting at Joe's Crab shack in San Diego the night before the cruise if you are arriving early and want to meet some of the people sailing.

In Vancouver we are staying near English Bay and Stanley Park since most of what we will be going is that way (renting bikes to ride Stanley Park, walk the beack at english bay, water taxi over to Granville). Where to stay really depends on what you plan on doing in Vancouver - lots of people stay more in the heart of downtown if they plan on doing shopping on Robson, etc (although it is very easy to get around).

• 2 years later...

we are going on the NCL star...leaving on the 21st...new to the boards and wondering how to book Alcratraz tickets for the day we are in San Fran. we do not want to do the excrusion offered by the ship as we have our sons with us and they do not want to do the bus tour afterwards....any suggestions? or should I be posting this somewhere else?

we are going on the NCL star...leaving on the 21st...new to the boards and wondering how to book Alcratraz tickets for the day we are in San Fran. we do not want to do the excrusion offered by the ship as we have our sons with us and they do not want to do the bus tour afterwards....any suggestions? or should I be posting this somewhere else?

Hi, check out the West Coast Forum:D all sorts of California

information is over there:)

Archived