Just back from carnival magic w/8mo and 4yo

ArchMom

Hello! Hoping to do a review at some point, but wanted to say we're back from an eastern cruise on the magic (Galveston, key west, Freeport, Nassau). We had a balcony cabin, our 4yo slept on the couch and the 8mo was in the portable crib. Happy to answer any questions! We had a great time, but cruising is def different with littles:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ArchMom, we are setting sail next week with our 7 month old. Any words of advice, things you wish you knew in advance, tips you found most helpful?

Thanks!!

DivFam - we found a packing list on here that we used as a guide. I'll try to find the link. We overpacked on diapers and wipes - assumed 9 diapers a day in case of digestive issues, but thankfully didn't need that many. We used a backpack everywhere on the boat to carry changing mat, food/snacks (we brought mini-puffs, but really shouldn't have - there are plenty of plain Cheerios on board), sun hat, sun screen, one or two toys. We had assigned seating at 6, which worked quite well - the waiters knew us and always came out with the steamed veggies right away for our littlest. I bf, and when that happened during dinner, I just went to the adjacent library, which was empty at the beginning of the cruise. We had a no shoe policy in our room, and let her crawl around there as well as on library floor. Several folks on here recommended the blow-up duck mini-bath and that was wonderful - extremely glad we purchased it for bath time. We also overpacked her clothes considering there are laundry machines on board. We did find that oftentimes nothing was open for breakfast until 7 or 7:30; fine for the baby (easy to bf and feed banana and Cheerios picked up on previous day) but WE were starving :)

Hope that helps!

Keith1010 - we did enjoy the cruise! We had to adjust expectations, of course. Living on a cruise ship didn't change the amount of sleep we were getting, so no evening shows or clubs for us. But awesome not cooking or cleaning for a week. And our 4 yo enjoyed camp carnival - she went from about 7:30pm to 9/9:30pm (she got to stay up late!) every day, and usually 1pm to 3:30pm on sea days. She saw other girls on the ship she met at camp that she would go over and say hi to or wave. With the baby we didn't end up using the morning stay and play or the pay sitting, so the cruise wasn't that different for her from daily life:) They both seemed to enjoy Our excursions (at least as much as a baby can!).

Mrs.C05 - by 18 months it''ll prob be quite different than our 8 month old:) But, I would prob still say to go ahead overpack on diapers. Our baby wasn't that worried about splashing around in a pool, but an 18mo will probably *really* want to do that, but won't be able to. I know carnival doesn't allow swim diapers anywhere in there pools or splash areas. I thought I read on here that maybe royal Caribbean does? We brought some, but didn't treacly use but one. And at 18months he'll be eating all real food so you shouldn't even need to pack food for him! I imagine, tho, that it will be goo for you to take advantage of any sort of stay and play or toy checkout your ship may have. Have fun!

Mistyhon - you guys should have a great time! Our 4yo loved camp carnival. So much so we could use it as a bit of a bribe to be on good behavior during dinner ;) We did check out, the first nite of the cruise, a mobile phone they have for the under-5s, tho the staff never called us on it. I think your 6yo will be in the next age group up, so they won't interact much. Our 8yo niece was also on the cruise, and loved camp as well - she even went to one of the late nite parties from 10 til midnite, which allowed her parents to go out for some fun!

As a side note, while our 4yo was in camp after dinner we would use that time to put the baby to sleep. Depending upon how your bedtimes work, you may be able to use it similarly. Have fun!

Here's a packing list we found here, that we used as a darting point. We brought baby meds but thankfully didn't need them! Also, we got stick on touch lights which were great nightlight instead of keeping the bathroom light on all night :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018415

Thank you!!!

A few more questions :)

Did you have to travel across any time zones? Any hints there if so?

Also, what did you bring along in terms of gear? (E.g., stroller, car seat, carrier) and what was the most helpful?

How about excursions, what did you do? Did you have a stroller for the 4 year old? Our soon to be 3 year old (Saturday) is still quite slow and poky so we're thinking about a small umbrella stroller or maybe his trunki suitcase?

Thanks for all the info. At the time of the cruise she will be 16 mos, we have balcony Empress deck same cruise as yours. What were your excursions? How safe is the balcony for a child? What is a duck pool? With the way ships have been having problems, I believe in taking extras. Keep posting your tips, thanks.

Divfam - beforehand we travelled across 6 hours worth of time zones (this cruise was a fam reunion/anniversary celebration for my in laws, and we live the furthest out). We just go with the flow on that. Maybe the day or two before we adjust schedules by a half hour in the proper direction. Then when we get to our destination, we try to just do the jump into the new time zone right away. The kids usually do better than we do ;)

The boat itself did go through one time zone, but you stay on ship time, so you don't need to adjust. You DO, however, have to remember that port time will be different - we almost missed our self-scheduled excursion in Nassau!

We brought an umbrella stroller and a carrier for our 8mo. We found both helpful, tho unfortunately accidentally left the umbrella stroller on the beach in Freeport. We checked out a stroller from camp carnival after that for our day in Nassau, but returned it immediately after. On these boards I've read some people like using strollers on board, and will put their kids to sleep in them to use the extended pay hours at camp carnival, but our 8mo isn't that type. On board we primarily carried her or used the carrier.

We decided not to bring car seats, but that's a very personal decision for some.

Mistyhon -

Our umbrella stroller was for our 8mo. Because of the town setting where we currently live, our 4yo has been walking everywhere since she was 2.5 or so, so is quite used to it. We of course adjust our pace as the day wears on, but it's fine for her and we're on vacation anyways - taking it easy! :) I wouldn't have needed it on the ship for getting around at all, even if she were younger; just in the ports, and even that would only be for walking intensive.

Carlissandisaacsmommy-

For airport we do use umbrella stroller or carrier/hiking backpack but primarily for lines (like customs). Even though a hiking backpack has more of a frame/structure, you should still be able to fit it in one of the tall wardrobes, I would think. Embarkation we found to be a bit of a zoo, and appreciated our umbrella stroller.

Thank you so very much ArchMom, you have temporarily eased my increasingly frazzled nerves!

I think I'll feel better as soon as I finish packing tomorrow :)

Please let us all know if anything else comes to mind but thank you for all the wonderful tips and advice!!!

Jaycat -

The balcony was fine for our 4yo, but we laid down the rules pretty quickly - no climbing, and you have be out there with someone else. If your 16mo is a climber, you may want to reserve it for adults only - the lock is up high, at about shoulder level on an adult. The railings are ladder type, and a 16mo doesn't always listen ;) We were on deck 6 (I don't know the name...) which was actually indented from deck 5, so if anyone did fall, it would have been one story. Still scary, but didn't cause me nightmares like a different situation may have! :)

The duck pool is this inflatable baby pool in the shape of a duck. We purchased off of amazon. It's relatively small, has a suction cup for hanging it on the shower wall for drying, and a drain plug at the bottom. Useful in those small showers for bath time, and perhaps on deck for splashing (tho our 8mo didn't take to that). I've read on here that if you do use it on deck, to empty the water into one of the drains on the side of the pool deck, not back into pool. We used a bucket from a 'bucket of beer' to fill it with splash/pool water.

Ah, excursions. Nearly forgot!

For key west our group rented golf carts, drove to hemingway's house, had lunch at a Cuban place, dessert at Kermit's key lime place, then walked back to the ship. Pretty chill. We did find it overwhelming (so many cruisers in port!) and hot. Our 4 yo nearly fainted! We had to remind her to drink water constantly!

In Freeport we took a taxi to Taino (pronounced teen-o) beach, hung out there near tony macaroni's - prob our best day.

Nassau - tru Bahamian food tour booked privately with Alana, the guide and owner. Wonderful learning about Nassau and eating at the same time. Loved this! Even our 4yo :)

Thanks for the info on the duck pool. We were talking about that last nite and wondered where did you get the water. It's something they allow beer drinking adults stay in the pool all day but no water diaper wearing toddlers:confused: in the splash area. I think if we let her play in the duck pool on deck she will want to play in the regular slide area. We are going to do a beach excursion that have a pool in Nassau or Freeport.

Thanks for any info you have to share, you have been helpful.

Thanks for the info on the duck pool. We were talking about that last nite and wondered where did you get the water. It's something they allow beer drinking adults stay in the pool all day but no water diaper wearing toddlers:confused: in the splash area. I think if we let her play in the duck pool on deck she will want to play in the regular slide area. We are going to do a beach excursion that have a pool in Nassau or Freeport.

Thanks for any info you have to share, you have been helpful.

Beer drinking adults are not likely to poop in the pool. Urine isn't the problem (swim diapers don't even contain urine). Ships can't use the same chemicals as pools on land, and swim diapers fail a lot.

Following!

We're cruising in Nov with our will-be 9 mo old. Infants can't go in the pools? I know I've heard that but I don't know anyone who's actually followed that rule.

I'm on the fence about bringing a cheapie umbrella stroller for at the beach. I will most definitely have my woven wrap with and carry her 90% of the time.

TS8213 -

I wouldn't bother with a stroller. The only day we *didn't* need it was the beach day, an that's when we left our behind accidentally since we just weren't thinking of it. The woven wrap should be perfect, especially in November. Do you have an extra? If so, you could Ben plan on going in the water at the beach with the wrap, an then giving it a good day or two to rinse and dry out.

Enjoy your trip!

My DD will almost be 4yrs when we leave for our cruise in August, ans I was wondering what kind of daily activities Camp Carnival has for that age group. If you have a copy of the Camp Carnival Capers to upload that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Archived