capri/pompeii: can this be done in one day?

Here is the hypothetical: hydrofoil from ship to capri; hydrofoil from capri to sorrento; cab from sorrento to pompeii and cab from pompeii to ship. can this be done(feasibly) on one day? is this pushing it too much?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bnkrpzlawr:
Here is the hypothetical: hydrofoil from ship to capri; hydrofoil from capri to sorrento; cab from sorrento to pompeii and cab from pompeii to ship. can this be done(feasibly) on one day? is this pushing it too much?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could DO it in a day,yes. What will see you and what would you enjoy would be the question.I would pick one or the other,and then someday go back and enjoy what you did not see.Just MHO.

Karen
Ü

Actually it would be more "Do-able" to me if after Capri, you took the train from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi and then the train back to Naples...the traffic possibility wouldn't be a worry then. I agree with Karen that you really will only get a taste of the area, but that is the excuse that I use to be making our forth return! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] Capri could easily be a day. Pompeii could easily be MORE than a day! etc.!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

We are taking a ship tour that does all three. We figured that way if we're held up some how, they'll be the ones to have to figure out how to get us back to the ship. Also, we won't have the worry of trying to figure out where to go, etc. It's a 10 hour tour. So, I'm sure we'll be rushed, but at least we'll be able to see them all. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I've heard that Capri shops are mostly closed in the afternoon, so there probably won't be any open by the time we get there, but hey, at least we saw it and I'll save us some money seeing I can't shop. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Millennium - 6/2/04 - Mediteranean
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;5;30;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Infinity - 12/5/04 - Hawaii - Infinitinis
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I would make Capri a visit on its own so that you get to visit Monte Solaro on the chairlift and the Blue Grotto ,however after visiting Capri twice I would still opt for a day touring the Amalfi Coast with a visit to Pompeii. I prefer the towns of Positano and Ravello to Sorrento.I recommend Salvatore of DriveAmalfi at [email]driveamalfi@hotmail.com[/email]

Mike

Its not how much can you jam, into one day- but more actually getting something from the experience. In our family half did Capri (on our own) the other half did Pompeii. We all had a great day.
Dont forget, its very hot and very crowded. The traffic is unlelievable and the trains go on strike in the middle of the day. Its not the Amzaing Race.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

• 2 weeks later...
We have done this all in one day from a cruise ship. We walked to the train station in Naples and took the train to Pompeii. We spent 3 hours here, then took the train to Sorrento. We ate lunch here, then took the hydrofoil to Capri. We had time to look at the shops here and take the funicular to the top and site see for about an hour. Then took the hydrofoil back to Naples which lets you out right next to the cruise ships. It was a wonderful day and we didn't feel rushed.

I have couple of questions:

1) What is a best sequence: Pompeii - Sorrento - Capri or Capri - Sorrento - Pompeii ?

2) How far is posrt in Sorrento from train station? Walking distance or taxi? (I know ... probably stupid question)

3)What is approximate price for Blue Grotto tour?

4) I heard that taxi drivers charge alot to drive from port to train station in Naples... is it within the walking distance or should we still take taxi. (We are young 31 & 32 y.o. and don't have any proplems walking reasonable distances). I also heard about crime rate in Naples. Is it safe to walk?

Thank you very much,

Natalia

------------------------------
Less than 2 weeks till my dream Med vacation!

Splendour of the Seas May 15, 2004 (Europe!!!)

Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL
Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)
Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow
Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

Takta
There is a bus stop right across the street from the port and it will take you directly to the bus station. There is a kiosk there that you can buy an all day bus/train pass... very reasonably priced.

The bus you take is #1... You stand on the bus stop in the middle of the road and it's the bus that is on the side of the water.
It's a few minutes to the train station and then we found the train easily.

bnkrpzlawr
I would say that your decision on doing both should also be based on the time of the year you are going (although being from Nevada I'm sure you are use to the heat).
We were there in August and the heat was intense (even worse in July I was told).
We found that restricted the amount we could do in one day. Mind you we were travelling with kids as well and took that into consideration when we made our daily plans.

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

Thank you very much, marcussusan! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

------------------------------
Less than 2 weeks till my dream Med vacation!

Splendour of the Seas May 15, 2004 (Europe!!!)

Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL
Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)
Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow
Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Images,
It sounds like you had a great day going from the port to Pompeii and on to Capri. I think that is what we will do. How long did it take for you to walk to the train and can you remember the directions to the station? Also, any other information would be helpful. Thanks

klw

See my earlier entry regarding the bus.

It's the same price for the all day ticket... includes bus and train... saves on walking and the bus stop is right outside the port entrance.

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

We did it...With the ship's tour (while on the Millennium in August)...and I think it was accomplished quite admirably...

The actual order the tour did it in was pretty much what the original poster listed...Hydrofoil directly to Capri, Hydrofoil to Sorrento, Bus to Pompeii, back to ship...

It actually went like clockwork...And we enjoyed it very much...

Now, there's a caveat: Doing it like this limits your time in any one place, so you are not going to get an extensive tour of any of the three--just a taste--but, for most people, it is a sufficient taste...

You take the funicular to the top of the hill at Capri, get a guided walk to the park on the other side of the island then have some time for shopping...Then, in Sorrento, you have lunch and more shopping...Then, in Pompeii, we had a fairly good guided tour through a part of the ruins...What you have to realize in Pompeii is that the ruins are so incredibly massive, you can take days or weeks to see them all...So, the question is whether you see a sufficient portion to enjoy...and the answer is yes...Besides, our guide was VERY infomative...

Personally, I think this same itinerary would be difficult to do on your own...or even with a private guide...

Logistically, you'd be dealing with possible waits for hydrofoils and other logistical nightmares--including concern about returning to the ship on time...A private guide undoubtedly needs to bring you to the same point off the hysdrofoil as on in order to pick up his car...

This is one excursion itinerary where, frankly, I believe the ships' excursion does it better...

I'm guessing the folks saying it can't be done are the same ones who stubbornly look down their noses at ships' shore excursions...

If you're figuring you won't be to Naples several times in your life and this is your big chance to see as much as you can, I'd recommend the ships' excursion (I took it even though this was my 3rd time through Naples and I am sure I will go again)...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Archived