HeLp...HeLp! Cruising to Alaska 6/28 & dont kno what or how to pack for it!!

Hi

I have been fortunate to have cruised Alaska twice. Once in May and once in August.

August was warmer, but I still needed some warm clothes.

I found layering to work best for me. I brought pants that would roll up like a capri, one pair of jeans and a few lighter weights shirts for daytime and sea days. I have a jacket that is actually two jackets in one and can be combined for one "warmer" winter jacket (Columbia Brand). This has been one of the best purchases I have made.

For the May cruise the temps were in the mid 50s on the low side and I was glad I brought ear muffs and gloves for our whale watching excursion.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise - the views are breathtaking! :)

Hi!

We cruised middle of July and the weather was in the 60s and maybe high 70s. I highly recommend jeans, hoodies and rain jackets, gym shoes/hiking shoes. We also brought along gloves and hats for when we sailed by the glaciers. Layering is key as the other posters have mentioned. It was great to take off the hoodie and just wear jeans and a tshirt when needed. Alaska is very casual. For dinner in the main dining room, I brought dark slacks and nice tops.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip. Alaska is wonderful:)

Ali

Hi!

We cruised middle of July and the weather was in the 60s and maybe high 70s. I highly recommend jeans, hoodies and rain jackets, gym shoes/hiking shoes. We also brought along gloves and hats for when we sailed by the glaciers. Layering is key as the other posters have mentioned. It was great to take off the hoodie and just wear jeans and a tshirt when needed. Alaska is very casual. For dinner in the main dining room, I brought dark slacks and nice tops.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip. Alaska is wonderful:)

Ali

Thanx alot!!

Alaska is very tricky, because the weather can be unpredictable. I remember one tour guide stating Alaska has a 365 day rainy season! My cruise to the Last Frontier was in the end of May. The first two days were really cold to us, but keep in mind we are from the Sunshine State so once you leave the 70's we are cold! We dressed most days like this undershirt, longshirt, hoodies, and raincoat. While we might have gotten a little warm at some point in the day, it was better than being cold. By the last day of the cruise, however it warmed up nicely to the high 60's, and people were in the pool:eek: Northerns :rolleyes:. Definately take a rain coat, though, it rained I think 6 out of the seven days we were there, not terrential rain, but a misty, dreary on and off again.

Hi, We are cruising to Alaska for the first time on 6/28 & have no idea what to or how to pack for this trip! Any input would be so appreciated :)
Layers, layers, layers!

It is always amusing to be out on deck on a sunny day at Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier and see some dressed in shorts and t-shirts standing beside others who are all bundled up with heavy jackets, hoods and gloves.

Kind of like the married couples where one feels hot and the other feels cold. :)

Just so you know, at the moment Alaska is experiencing the hottest temps. they have seen since the 1960's, it's all over the news.:eek:

Yesterday, Anchorage was 71, Fairbanks was 87!!! No lie. I have a good friend born and raised in Anchorage, I was just discussing this with her yesterday.

Don't know how long it will last, but it's making history as we speak.:D

FYI. she also says when it's unseasonably hot there like it is right now, the MOSQUITOS are crazy, so bring your Buggy Spray!!:eek:

We were just there last week and it was in the mid-80s. Seriously.

Just read an article about this weird weather they are having and it said the temps should be cooling soon.....something about high pressure system or low pressure system. I do not understand all that stuff, I just know it was HOT!!!

To be on the safe side pack lightweight stuff that you can layer and then remove as the day warms up.

And it's true about the mosquitos. One woman in our party got some bites and they were huge!

1 pair of jeans, a couple of pairs of chinos (warmer than jeans), a pair of silk weight pants and top for under whatever if it gets cool and damp. fleece hoodie, one pair lighter gloves, cap or ear muffs. maybe a turtle neck, a pair of gum shoe boots (see ll bean), etc.. wear your heavier boots traveling.

We were there in May. I had so many clothes to "layer" but the weather was so warm I had to keep laundering my short sleeves clothes and capris......only brought a couple of these and tons of warm weather clothes which I never wore.

I have been on three Alaska cruises ,and being from the west coast kinda use to wet cool climate ,so I have never been in more than a pair of jeans or shorts and maybe a hoodie , will be back there in 3 weeks ,would be nice if the weather stays unseasonably warm

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The best advice is like most all others have said, and that's layer.

It can be 80 one day and 30 the next or even on the same day 80 in port and 30 if you do certain port excursions.

You can also purchase hoodies or jackets on board at reasonable prices.

Check out the Alaska forum too-lots of good info! When we were there 3 years ago right now we took raincoats that we never needed (unusual) The weather is changeable to be sure! I found hoodies/fleece to be widely available on shore at much lower prices than on board. I used my gloves & hat at the glacier, but most of the time it was actually warm! Heed the tip about the 'skeeters-I think since they have such a short season they go out of their way to "stock up" on us while they can! Don't sweat it & have a great time!

A good quality hoody equiped rain coat, wind waterproof, and breathable. Combine this with most any thing layered(as others have said), and you can go skiing in the out fit if not too cold, , and yes I did the ski thing, on a surprise snow fall in the Pyranees.

The best advice is like most all others have said, and that's layer.

It can be 80 one day and 30 the next or even on the same day 80 in port and 30 if you do certain port excursions.

You can also purchase hoodies or jackets on board at reasonable prices.

They also have them for sale at the stores at the Alaska ports, usually at even lower prices than on the ship.

So there is no need to worry about forgetting to pack something because on Alaska cruises it is very easy to pick up anything you need along the way.

My top 3 items to pack for Alaska:

1. A good lightweight, breathable rain jacket. Don't skimp here! If you buy those vinyl heavy ones they don't breathe and you'll be sweating in it, very uncomfortable! I buy a size larger and wear over my fleece jacket.

2. Fleece jacket. I buy this true to fit so I can wear my rain jacket over it. It's not always needed (neither is the rain jacket), but a good bet you'll want both of them.

3. Convertible pants. Not only are they lightweight, pack well, but can be hand washed if needed.

We took backpacks for port days. I could normally roll up my lightweight rain jacket and put through the bungy strings on the front of the back pack. I also bring rain pants but only used them once. They are so lightweight though and easy to throw in the back pack. I was glad I had them for our downpours in Ketchikan and Juneau! Jeans are miserable when wet. The convertible pants dried quickly and obviously could just take the rain pants off and be dry underneath.

Oh, I'll add a #4. Waterproof shoes. Or you can just buy waterproof scotch guard stuff and spray your tennis shoes. We did a lot of hiking and this made it nice for us! I don't like wet feet!

I'm really miserable in rain (can you tell) so being prepared made my 2 trips to Alaska very positive and memorable. It would be rare (but possible) to have a full 7 day trip with no rain at all.

I agree with everyone else--layers. I also liked to wear a long sleeve shirt under my fleece. If it got too warm I could shed the jackets, but it was never "too" warm for a thin long sleeve shirt. Of course, with the heat wave they are having, that could change!

Archived