For those that carry on wine

Mandy, I could be wrong...but I just booked a cruise for this weekend 2 days ago on the phone with RC and the lady told me 2 750ml bottles per person carried in our carry on bag....you might want to call and verify

It is 2 750ml bottles per cabin, not per person.:)

Hi this is a very helpful thread thank you:)

Can someone tell me how many bottles we are aloud please? we are a family of four with 2 connecting cabins adults in one and kids in the other.

Thanx in advance

Mandy :cool:

Good question.......anyone?

You can do either, but I would carry it on because I don't throw my bags around and the porters do. Plus the luggage scanner will pick up the bottle in your checked bag and it may be held until you can show that you have wine instead of hard liquor.

What is there to stop you putting 2 bottles in your carry on and another 2 in your check in bags? You are never with both at the same time so how could that be traced?

We are on Independence out of Southampton next week.

Your conscience?

They are supposed to be in your carry on. If in you checked luggage, you are likely to visit the 'naughty room'. It is two (750ml) per stateroom and a B2B is supposed to be able to bring 4 (2 of which are supposed to be held for you until the next cruise). As for the staterooms mentioned earlier with kids in one and adults in the other, it would depend on how they looked at it.

Now, some actual experience:

The first week of the new policy (in Barcelona) they were not checking anything and people brought on even distilled. We brought 2 bottles in carryon, no trouble. However we had a 6.3 liter bottle of water in our checked luggage so we ended up in the 'naughty room' anyway even though we had no trouble carrying on wine.

New Orleans last November, first week, no problems. Those bringing two bottles had no issues. Second week, they had set up a checkin station at security with a half hour line where you had to sign for the wine and were issued a useless receipt.

Last month in Vancouver, lines at check in were so long (2 plus hours and they even had to hold the ship) that when we got to the desk, nothing was even said about wine. We had 4 bottles (we were B2B).

Some of the ships mentioned had additional xray machines set up on the deck of the ship, but we never saw them being used.

They are supposed to be in your carry on. If in you checked luggage, you are likely to visit the 'naughty room'. It is two (750ml) per stateroom and a B2B is supposed to be able to bring 4 (2 of which are supposed to be held for you until the next cruise). As for the staterooms mentioned earlier with kids in one and adults in the other, it would depend on how they looked at it.

The first week of the new policy (in Barcelona) they were not checking anything and people brought on even distilled. We brought 2 bottles in carryon, no trouble. However we had a 6.3 liter bottle of water in our checked luggage so we ended up in the 'naughty room' anyway even though we had no trouble carrying on wine.

New Orleans last November, first week, no problems. Those bringing two bottles had no issues. Second week, they had set up a checkin station at security with a half hour line where you had to sign for the wine and were issued a useless receipt.

Last month in Vancouver, lines at check in were so long (2 plus hours and they even had to hold the ship) that when we got to the desk, nothing was even said about wine. We had 4 bottles (we were B2B).

Some of the ships mentioned had additional xray machines set up on the deck of the ship, but we never saw them being used.

Here is the policy, it does not state that wine must be in your carry on.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

OK, hope you enjoy the "naughty room", I don't. I have better things to do with my time on the first night.

Mandy, I could be wrong...but I just booked a cruise for this weekend 2 days ago on the phone with RC and the lady told me 2 750ml bottles per person carried in our carry on bag....you might want to call and verify

Thanx

mm:confused: i dont know what to do, but im guessing the worst that can happen is we will get two bottles taken from us.

And why exactly am I going to the naughty room the first night?

Royal has never been know to be consistent with the implementation of their policies. When they see bottles in you luggage on Cray, their policy is to have you present before opening your luggage (Princess just opens your luggage, must think they are TSA or something). So, even though it may be allowed by their policy doesn't mean that having it in your checked luggage will not cause you a trip to the naughty room. I fly with the wine in my checked luggage (zipped into a ziplock bag) and then transfer it to my carryon. Less hassle that way. BTW, I checked their "guest conduct policy" and it also fails to mention method of carry. In my original post I stated "must be" or something like that. I stand corrected. I must have mixed it up with Princesses new policy that changed about the same time. So, to sum up, it appears that one may bring wine in checked luggage, but that does not necessarily make it a wise idea. For the same reason I no longer bring water in my checked luggage but rather use a luggage tag or carry it on.

Hi this is a very helpful thread thank you:)

Can someone tell me how many bottles we are aloud please? we are a family of four with 2 connecting cabins adults in one and kids in the other.

Thanx in advance

Mandy :cool:

You are allowed 2 bottles per room. I assume that you have one adult registered for each of your rooms so that should mean each adult ( 1 from each room) can bring on 2 bottles. I would put them in your carry-on so they won't get broken.

Royal has never been know to be consistent with the implementation of their policies. When they see bottles in you luggage on Cray, their policy is to have you present before opening your luggage (Princess just opens your luggage, must think they are TSA or something). So, even though it may be allowed by their policy doesn't mean that having it in your checked luggage will not cause you a trip to the naughty room. I fly with the wine in my checked luggage (zipped into a ziplock bag) and then transfer it to my carryon. Less hassle that way. BTW, I checked their "guest conduct policy" and it also fails to mention method of carry. In my original post I stated "must be" or something like that. I stand corrected. I must have mixed it up with Princesses new policy that changed about the same time. So, to sum up, it appears that one may bring wine in checked luggage, but that does not necessarily make it a wise idea. For the same reason I no longer bring water in my checked luggage but rather use a luggage tag or carry it on.

Yes, I am aware of their policy of inconsistency. I never said I was putting wine in my checked luggage, I just linked the policy after you said it was "supposed" to be in your carry on. This way, the policy is there for people to read and choose to do what they feel suits them best.

[quote name='Coastalrap']You are allowed 2 bottles per room. I assume that you have one adult registered for each of your rooms so that should mean each adult ( 1 from each room) can bring on 2 bottles. I would put them in your carry-on so they won't get broken.[/QUOTE]

No we dont have an adult registered in each cabin as the rooms are connecting and the boys will be in one room and the adults in the other.

[quote name='reallyitsmema']Yes, I am aware of their policy of inconsistency. I never said I was putting wine in my checked luggage, I just linked the policy after you said it was "supposed" to be in your carry on. This way, the policy is there for people to read and choose to do what they feel suits them best.[/quote]
This is what I like about CC. I learned something today that I thought that I already knew. I think what happened is that I recently responded to a similar threat on the Princess board and did all the research etc to be sure of my answer. Then this thread on Royal with their policy "almost" identical. It will be interesting to see how Royal's policy evolves. As I've stated, enforcement to date has been all over the place. An interesting side note is what is their policy on a multi B2B. They only mention B2B. I have a couple of multiples coming up and am wondering if they consider the start of each cruise to be an "embarkation" port for purposes of this policy and will allow wine to be brought on. It has worked that way for me once in the past, but we all know that means nothing.

[quote name='critterchick']Get a corkscrew without the blade.:). Ours has a circular foil cutter so we can bring it in our carryon on a plane.

You can do either, but I would carry it on because I don't throw my bags around and the porters do. Plus the luggage scanner will pick up the bottle in your checked bag and it may be held until you can show that you have wine instead of hard liquor.[/QUOTE]

On our 3/31 sailing the porters told us to remove from checked luggage and put in carry on (ours was already in carry on.)

Also we had 2 cabins so my wife and I each had 2 bottles, but no one ever checked to make sure we had 2 cabins. The security checkpoint was before we actually checked in. This is FYI and should not be construed as an endorsement of rule breaking.

In my experience when you go through security they don't really look at who is with whom. So if you both had two bottles each, they may not say anything.

As for checking wine in your bag, we've never had a problem, either breakage or naughty room-wise. However the exception does not disprove the rule (my favourite saying around here).

Archived