Unusual question - ALL input appreciated

Seadoc

We have finally - after several dozen "shortie" cruises, too many years of hard work and the recognition that our lights could go out at any time - decided to partake of a world cruise.

So in typical anal-retentive Libra fashion, I've begun doing "due diligence".

I've discovered that only 5 lines offer the product: HAL, Radisson, Crystal, Silversea and Cunard. All are about the same length (+/- 105 days) but, interestingly, have quite different itineraries, which plays into the equation along with cost, "amenities" and the expected "cruise ambience".

Some time ago we discovered/agreed that as we both view the cabin as only a "crash pad", we could be quite content with an inside. That has major cost implications for what we're considering.

Two of the lines (both of which have insides) can be "done" for about $20K.

The other three have no insides, are laden with more "stars" and have entry level tarrifs of about $50K. One of those three is virtually an "all-inclusive" for the world cruise (including all booze).

My quandry: I can't make a decision.

Part of me say that "food is food" but I may not feel that way on the 50th day. Another says that an "all-inclusive" is probably worth it because of booze expense alone during 3+ months. The cabins are NOT identical in size, as it appears that "you get what you pay for" in this department. One of the two "low end" lines has a wierd itinerary which devotes a ton of days to the African continent but little/nothing to the Far East/Western Pacific (think I've omitted that one for that reason).

I thought this would be easy- that the "right" one would jump out at me...alas, it hasn't.

So if anyone cares to provide input (either from personal experience on a world cruise or regarding issues that haven't occurred to me) I'd appreciate it very much and thanks in advance.

I'm crying because I don't have the problem you have. :( Maybe someday I will.

Have you added up all the "extras" that will have to be added for a non all-inclusive? (airfare, liquor, tips, meals at alternative restaurant, etc.) This will probably make the numbers come out even closer.

A technique I use for making decisions, after the due diligence, is to just (pretend to) "decide" on one of the choices, in your case cruiseline A. I act like I've already spent the money on it. I keep thinking about how I feel having made that choice, keep looking at the brochure, think about all the ports, what I'll do, etc. After a few days, I check to see if I'm happy or not. Then switch to choice B and "decide" on that one. Check again. And so on. Pick the choice that made you the happiest after you "decided" to do it.

This has never failed me. I usually realize within a day or two what I really want, and have never had to complete the whole process. Good luck. :)

Have you looked at which cruiseline will give you airfare (first class) and onboard credits?

an inside cabin would be okay for a week or two or eve maybe a month (LOL) but I am thinking a 105 days might be a bit much,

Having said that - I am not sure if these cruises sell out- maybe it is best to take the inside cabin and see if they upgrade you - or if not request a cabin change once the cruise starts.

While I had a problem with Radisson Home office,,, this year IF I won the Lottery, I would have to go with the Voyager over this one years HAL WC.

The other night, Lotto dreaming me, went to the HAL site and reviewed all the shore excursions for this years WC and I came away with this just isn't me.

I have always want to see New Zealand and Australia. HAL does not do that this year.

So first review the places the ships are going to.

Second review the DAYS AT SEA... Unless it is a money thing, an inside cabin could get very small on 5-7 sea days in a row.

Both HAL and Voyager had an include "Wine Package" the only difference on the Voyager is all drinks are include... In my case I could care less. I have one glass of wine a day and that's it.

But Radisson includes all soft drinks and water. Before you go ashore there will be a Water Table for grapping bottled water to go.

On food, the real plus for Radisson is open seating. You can go down between 7-9 for dinner. BUT what I like best is you can pick sitting with a group or at a table for two. I realllllly like that.

On both P'dam and Voyager lines are almost not there. I read all of Grumpy's thread I and I do not remember him talking about any lines. I know on my Mariner cruise, I never had a line over two people in front of me. And that was for Immigrations at San Juan.

The minimum square foot for the bottom cabins on Voyager is 356 sq ft. including balcony.

Both HAL and Voyager had a "preimum" restaurant. Difference being on Voyager it is no charge.. But having said that , on my Radisson Mariner 12 day cruise I never ate there. I guess I am just a main dining room type of guy.

With the exception of this one year, I probably would go with HAL over Radisson. I realllllly do not like their home office. But this years cruise is much better on Radisson that HAL IMHO.......

There's a website which is something like brownandkeenedot com that has a report on this year's world cruise on Radisson. It's very interesting and well worth reading all segments if you are really interested.

I say, go for it! You only live once (and in my case, I probably couldn't afford to live twice).

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Without knowing which lines offer which things of the ones you said, I think I would like the all-inclusive. Over 105 days, DH and I would drink a LOT of liquor.

And as for the cabin size, a small inside cabin might be okay for a week or two, but 3 months?! Yikes! DH and I would kill each other. And we've been together 25 years.

And the telling thing you said "our lights could go out at any time". This is - probably - a once in a lifetime experience. If you don't do it right this time, you probably won't ever get another chance to do this cruise again, and I would hate to think that you would regret going for the best you could. My three cents (inflation)

Mary

Without knowing which lines offer which things of the ones you said, I think I would like the all-inclusive. Over 105 days, DH and I would drink a LOT of liquor.

And as for the cabin size, a small inside cabin might be okay for a week or two, but 3 months?! Yikes! DH and I would kill each other. And we've been together 25 years.

And the telling thing you said "our lights could go out at any time". This is - probably - a once in a lifetime experience. If you don't do it right this time, you probably won't ever get another chance to do this cruise again, and I would hate to think that you would regret going for the best you could. My three cents (inflation)

I agree with EVERYTHING you said. A world cruise is truly a once in a lifetime experience (unless, of course, you are very, very affluent), so you really should make it a point to do it right.

My first consideration would be itinerary. So, I would pick the ship that has the itinerary best suited to my personal tastes.

Then I would want a balcony cabin. I consider the cabin as a place just to crash too ... and an inside always suits me fine. However, my longest cruise has been 15 days. I tend to think that after a month or so, an inside cabin is going to start feeling awfully cramped. You're gonna be spending three months (as opposed to a few weeks) in that cabin. Make it of a size you can comfortably live with.

As for the all-inclusive ... it's hard to judge if this would be worth it to you. Do you like a glass of wine with dinner? Do you drink a lot of soft drinks? If so, you'll run up an awfully large onboard account in three months if you have to pay for all that stuff. See if some of the "ala carte" cruise lines offer any special packages (either free or reduced price) for soft drinks and liquor on their World Cruise.

What line you choose to go with should be made with great care, and not necessarily totally based on finances. There is a good chance that you won't repeat this cruise, so make sure you do it right. You'll have a lifetime of happy memories as a result.

Blue skies ...

--rita

P&O, former parent of Princess, and now sister line, offers some very interesting itineraries on their World Cruises.

I'd love to do one, but wife prefers cruises less than 30 days duration, so we are circumnavigating the globe in segments.

All of the advice, thus far, is -- in my opinion -- "spot-on." I'm an inside cabin kind of guy ... I figure that, if I cruise enough in the inside cabins perhaps, one day, I'll have enough money to do the world cruise. :) haha! In reality, I'll go when I retire ... and I'll save for 5 years and then invest to make it possible. Nevertheless, a word of caution. I've done several long cruises in an inside cabin. I've done 21 days and 26 days in inside cabins and, in both cases, I was ok with it until about day 18; by that time I was wishing for a window. While the cabin size is not significantly different, that natural-light factor may well be.

After questions of itinerary, ports of call, and cabin assignment, I suppose the most critical one (for me) will be shipboard expenses. While in Dreaming mode I've done my own estimates of how much it would cost (in terms of shipboard expenses) to make the world cruise. In making those estimates I've used the actual expenses I've accrued on 10-day cruises, added in shore-excursion costs based upon an (unreasonable) assumption that shore excursions on the world cruise could average out to be roughly the same, per capita, as on a 10-day cruise, and then multiplied the total figure by 10. Different people have different shipboard spending habits, so throwing out dollar figures won't help here, however suffice it to say that over 100 days the expenses figure grows to a rather large sum. I'm not sure, however, that it grows to the point where it justifies the much-higher price of some of the more ritzy, all-inclusives. In other words, if HAL had the right itinerary and the right ports for the year I'm going to go, then the issue of all-inclusion simply wouldn't be enough to cause me to think otherwise. Besides ... and this is a trick I learned from my Dad ... it is always possible to make deposits to one's onboard account weeks (or months) before the cruise and in amounts equal to what you think you might spend. In many respects, that turns it into an all-inclusive cruise (i.e., your ship board expenses become "already paid for" prior to boarding). I've done that on several cruises, and have not been disappointed (it's actually kinda nice being able to go to the front desk on disembarkation day and, rather than owing the cruise line money, they owe YOU money. :) )

At any rate, I wish I was facing the decision you're facing. :) Perhaps one day I will get the chance.

If you're at all considering HAL, I'd suggest making a decision ASAP. On another post, I talked about a AAA reception I recently attended for HAL alumni. The HAL rep who talked to us told us the 2006 World Cruise is selling fast, with only a few cabins left. Since HAL uses their smallest ship (Prisendam), space is limited.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Roz

For your insight and suggestions.

Cactuslady- a GREAT concept (fits Libras well)...I'll try it.

Trubey (Susan) - read most of the Grumpy/Slinky "report". It seemed objective (that's good) but was, natch, "cruise-andcruiser-specific" and I doubt that one size fits even many, much less all.

Blackbird71 - we're on similar wave lengths: I too found the absence of NZ and Australia on the 2006 HAL WC a virtual deal-breaker. The cabin size and "all inclusive" Radisson offering became much more enticing when I eliminated HAL (because of itinerary). The other "less expensive" line (Cunard) charges only $18K but the room is 8x10 and that's simply too small. Ergo, both of the lesser expensive lines are off the table. Remaining are Radisson, Silversea and Crystal (if only Seabourn did a WC) and the former seems most attractive from all vantage points (itinerary, ship size, covered elements).

While I certainly recognize that many regard a WC as either prohibitively expensive or a once-per-lifetime opportunity, for those of us who thrive on cruising and are willing to forego other vacations/diversions/unnecessary purchases in favor of a largish one-time "pop", it's a truly easy decision. The cruise lines throw in several shore things...Virtuoso (mandatory as TA for something like this, in my opinion) tosses in a few more. As my wife and I have never taken a cruiseline shore excursion (in favor of self-directed discovery every time and regardless of port) the likely major expense would be booze...making the "all-inclusive", for us, a no-brainer.

Thanks again to all of you for your input.

After questions of itinerary, ports of call, and cabin assignment, I suppose the most critical one (for me) will be shipboard expenses.

At any rate, I wish I was facing the decision you're facing. :) Perhaps one day I will get the chance.

LOL we all know about the UPS truck that brought Grumpy's SHORE spending Credit Card Bills.... :p:p But his onboard spending was not that much. And this year HAL is doing pre-paid tips and the wine package... Grumpy's SS included the wash package but I asked him about it and he said it was like 6 dollars a week per person which sounds good to me.

One nice thing about the HAL site (Radisson doesn't do it until you book) you can look at the price of the shore excursions.

Myself... Just call me TEE-SHIRT Bill.... As long as I get a Tee-shirt in a port I am happy.... Well,,, other than St. Barts... Even Tee-Shirt Bill walked away from $40 standard island tee-shirts. YIPES.... Let's see 45 ports X $20 per tee-shirt == $900... :eek:

On the inside vs outside, I wil say again,,, 5-7 day in a row at sea should be a major point for what you pick..... In the port a day world I never had a problem with inside.,, but.... to do 7 sea days......

edited to add:

On my Radisson cruise, I had dinner with a 20 something male dancer in the main show.. Because of his "rank" he could have had a single room, but he opted for a two person room because it had a window and the single room did not....

For some cruise lines, all inclusive means that tips are included - no tack on day by day and person by person. Anfd for some cruise lines it includes wine at dinner at no cost. And there is one cruise line that has free liquor in the cabins - don't know how many bottles.

But none of them include shore excursions.

I think it is so great that you are able to take a cruise so many people only dream about (myself included, at least for now:))

I have looked at the world cruises of a few lines from time to time (Strictly wishful thinking) :)

They really do vary in price and itinerary .

Just my 2 cents ....

if I was planning this trip (and I wish I was)

I would make sure the trip included ports I really wanted to see , it may be a once in a lifetime thing and I want to make it the best it can be.

Also MHO but 105 days in an inside cabin would drive me nuts!!!!!! *LOL* I might not need a gigantic suite, but I would definately need at least a window. especially with 6 or 7 sea days. I mean you can't wander the decks all day long.

Whatever you decide have a great time. You will be sailing with a lot CCers alongside you in spirit :)

Of course a suite beats a veranda, and a veranda beats an outside, and an outside beats an inside. But someone does buy those inside cabins.

Does anyone know, on a world cruise, are the insides most likely to be booked by short-segment cruisers or the long-timers? susan.

For some cruise lines, all inclusive means that tips are included - no tack on day by day and person by person. Anfd for some cruise lines it includes wine at dinner at no cost. And there is one cruise line that has free liquor in the cabins - don't know how many bottles.

But none of them include shore excursions.

both HAL and Radisson have fixed setup in the cabin for in the case of HAL full cruise pax.

While non include shore excursions (some $2000 - $4000) I know HAL and Radisson include a set of shore excursions for their guests. Not a lot but...

Sidenote:

IMHO a big plus for the P'dam is really has good outside cabins over the S class ships.

img_large_outside_dbl.jpg

On the S ships the "windowed" cabins have a bed next to the window. On the P'dam you have a chair or chairs that you could view the world from.

It might be an interesting exercise to compare something other than lowest fare cabins. For example, compare lowest fare Silverseas to an equivalent price cabin on HAL or Cunard.

Or, pick a dollar amount for the entire cruise, and see what you would get on each for that amount.

Beth

Archived