Opinions please

Thinking of doing a mini break 2 adults 2 kids (2yr old & 6 mth) the cruise is from Belfast to liverpool and is working out £325 for the 4 of us just thought I'd ask on here about the boat ( Boudicca) and in other peoples experience was there kids onboard? Is it casual dining or do you need to dress up just looking general opinions before I book

Hi just back from mini cruise on Boudicca - it was a good ship and the cruise was fantastic - we had one formal night where you had to dress up - not sure if you can do casual and eat in the buffet, maybe someone else can answer that.

Compared to Thomsons and RCCI cruises (loads of kids) - there weren't many kids on board, the mini we where on

Generally speaking, you will not see a lot of children on a Fred Olsen cruise.

Probably more on a mini-cruise like the one you plan to go on, but there is normally no special provision for children in terms of entertainment or activities as the passengers tend to be rather older.

That said, I can't recall a single cruise where there were no children at all, just don't depend on the ship to keep them amused.

If I was you with children of that age, I would not cruise with FO. The passengers are 60 plus and the ship environment does not suit young children.

Try Thomson or RCI. Nothing against kids but you did ask. Have a good cruise what ever you choose.

Generally speaking, you will not see a lot of children on a Fred Olsen cruise.

Probably more on a mini-cruise like the one you plan to go on, but there is normally no special provision for children in terms of entertainment or activities as the passengers tend to be rather older.

That said, I can't recall a single cruise where there were no children at all, just don't depend on the ship to keep them amused.

We have been on two cruises with FO and there was not any children. Panama Canal and a week round the French ports. As I have said earlier I think you would be better suited on another line with children so young.

We have been on two cruises with FO and there was not any children. Panama Canal and a week round the French ports. As I have said earlier I think you would be better suited on another line with children so young.

Obviously there are variations :)

I've already said there are no facilities for children but that doesn't stop them appearing to enjoy themselves in the company of their family, especially on a very short cruise like this one.

We've had 4 cruises with Fred now, children on all of them and 'over 60' would not have been accurate either. A large percentage for sure, but by no means all and these days 60 is hardly 'old' either :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this one has already sailed and I have 'missed the boat' as it where. Sorry I did not pick it up sooner.

I am local to Liverpool and as a port it could not be better. You do not need a Taxi as a 5-10 minute walk will get you to many places in the town centre, because the cruise ships dock at the pier head.

You can hop on the Mersey Ferry, or go to the brilliant Musem of Liverpool (no charge but donations requested). You will need to turn right as you get off the boat to go to the new(ish) Liverpool One shopping centre with loads of designer shops as well as the usual stuff (including John Lewis and Debenhams) as well as numerous eateries (or drinkeries). Or just stroll along the waterfront - you can go a fair way if you turn right from the ship and go up river, but will need to deviate a bit from the shoreline at times.

I agreee with what has been said about Fred Olsen, regards style of ship, but in this case it is a two night minicruise with one day in port - no sea days, so I do not see what child facilities would be needed. If you do not want to subject your children to a multi course dinner there is the option of using the self service.

Mini cruises always have a different flavour to the longer cruises anyway, with younger clientelle. You often get some groups of people going for family get togethers or perhaps some hen parties. They have always been well behaved though and we have very much enjoyed the chance to enjoy a good disco with more people around in party mood, and we are in our early sixties!

Cheers

My friend who has just turned 40 along with her husband was persuaded to go on a FO cruise with her mother and father in law. They had a super time last year visiting Orkney and Norway. it was her first cruise and she loved every minute.

Archived