Teen's formal wear

Owlhelm

Hi all,

Son (17) is rebelling about wearing a suit/tux on formal nights on our forthcoming cruise. Whilst I don't mind forcing the issue, I don't want to get it all off to a less-than-ideal start before we even get there.

So, my question is, would a smart pair of trousers, suit and tie be sufficient, or do I have to put my foot down if we want to go to the formal nights (which we do, so please don't detail the other available options).

Thanks in anticipation.

Martin

Yes, but the young men look so wonderful all dressed up. I enjoy it and my guys really don't mind and the pictures prove that they can dress up and look nice ( even if its just for the evening) I dont put my foot down for much, but wearing formal wear is one of them and the guys really don't object too much...

But to answer your question if he would be happier in a suit and tie, he will be just fine.

I think standards are lower for kids, it's not reasonable to buy them a tux they will soon grow out of. Even though at 17, he may be past that, but I think that falls within the margin of error! If you can talk him into a jacket, I think anything within reason under that will be fine. As long as it's clear that it is dress up, I think no one will think it's inappropriate. Indeed, they will probably be surprised at seeing a teen dressed up at all. Possibly pack a dress shirt and tie anyway, teens are always wanting to fit in (aren't we all?) and he may choose it the second formal night.

Yes, but the young men look so wonderful all dressed up. I enjoy it and my guys really don't mind and the pictures prove that they can dress up and look nice ( even if its just for the evening) I dont put my foot down for much, but wearing formal wear is one of them and the guys really don't object too much...

But to answer your question if he would be happier in a suit and tie, he will be just fine.

To be fair, he wore a tux 2 years ago, and looked great. Other passengers even commented on it. I think it's partly a flexing of his muscles (or should I say stretching his wings?), and if he can get away with shirt & tie, I'd rather take the easy route. ;)

To be fair, he wore a tux 2 years ago, and looked great. Other passengers even commented on it. I think it's partly a flexing of his muscles (or should I say stretching his wings?), and if he can get away with shirt & tie, I'd rather take the easy route. ;)

Take the easy route and let him wear a suit and tie. I have an 18yr old son. Pick your battles. Let him "win" this one.

Shirt and tie will be fine. Ive found since the airlines fees for baggage have increased the level of 'dress up' for formal night has decreased. There are some things that you will need to stand firm on, like no texting and driving but formal wear in my mind, not so much. Enjoy your family cruise!!!

Donna

Here is a idea. The Miami Vice look is back, you know white jacket, colored shirt, no tie and slacks, I saw this a few months ago on a gentleman and boy did he look handsome. Yes this was on formal night.

Pretty cool idea ... what about socks? :eek:

Here is a idea. The Miami Vice look is back, you know white jacket, colored shirt, no tie and slacks, I saw this a few months ago on a gentleman and boy did he look handsome. Yes this was on formal night.

Was he wearing loafers and no socks? Also, was that no tie and no slacks?:-;

You should have told him that there was no way he was going to wear a tux on the cruise. That way he would have demanded one :D

There's a point at which they catch on to that ...

It must be combined with "We don't want to deal with all the girls that would be flocking around you." ;)

FYI -- I have read more than once, and web pages that list dress codes, e.g. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545 seem to confirm this, that a tie is actually not required (mentioned in the dress code) -- just a jacket/suit...

(In case your son is like so many who can't stand ties...)

Now enforcement of the code is "a whole 'nother story!"

From what I've seen on my last two cruises on formal night (they were two week cruises so there was three formal dinners), a dress shirt, tie and nice trousers will work. Better yet, bring a jacket for him, just in case.

At this age, they need to have a suit anyway (college interviews if they go on them, weddings/memorial services, etc.).

My daughter was in a "hate dresses" stage when she was a pre-teen (which was a hassle getting her in a nice outfit for music recitals), but now at 15 that she's buying much of her own clothes, she's usually aiming for much nicer clothes, including dresses and skirts.

FYI -- I have read more than once, and web pages that list dress codes, e.g. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545 seem to confirm this, that a tie is actually not required (mentioned in the dress code) -- just a jacket/suit...

That would be because a tie is assumed to be worn with a tux/suit :confused:

Their first cruise... Just said we're going to get measures for our tuxs...

Didn't even question it. Ordered tuxs ...waiting onboard for us.

9130879565_c126309cac_n.jpg

Scan148, November, 2000 by dntanderson, on Flickr

A couple of years later ... came asking to borrow a tie:D

866520698_d2ebea8c05_n.jpg

3kidsformal by dntanderson, on Flickr

Worth a bit of a battle? maybe.

Photos like these ... PRICELESS!

What none of the kids likes were the matching shirts.

9133166058_aeb14baf22_n.jpg

Scan006, November, 2000 by dntanderson, on Flickr

I must say seeing your picture make me so excited that my boys will wear tuxes this time! Mostly because they are so tall and skinny I HAVE to rent something or buy pants and get them altered. I'm actually considering Mens Warehouse....we can get measured here and pick up out there :) Our last cruise they wore dress pants, dress shoes and solid dress shirts with matching ties. On semi formal night the skipped the tie and wore a striped shirt :)

There are some, shall I say, very 'unique' ties that would appeal to most 17 year-old males. Many are in good taste, and certainly there are some that definitely are not, but why not help out in your son's rebellious search for himself.

Have a look at outrageous ties on google, or this site I found :

http://www.zazzie.ca/outrageous+ties

Archived