New to Royal questions

I have sailed Royal once about 5 years ago and most recently have become very familiar with Carnival. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to book? Directly with RCI? Travel agent?

2. Are there price matches available ( like Carnival)?

3. Looking at cruises from Galveston next summer, should I wait to book? Does there seem to be fluctuations in pricing ?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by price matches. If Royal lowers your price, you can get the lower price up until final payment date, as long as the lower price is not restricted to new bookings. After final payment date there are no credits of any kind.

We too sail from Galveston. The two lines are distinctly different out of Galveston. We enjoyed carnival, but found ourselves heading the the Pointe Steakhouse and the food was less than satisfactory to us....Personal choice! But anytime you announce a new menu the the big new feature is mac N cheese....you get the point.

We, obviously by being D+ on Royal, prefer the line..We find the service levels better and the staff far more friendly.

As for pricing, both lines move prices UP once school is out. So I would offer: If you trust some of the big online agencies, book with them...but be very careful about "change fees"..they very often eat up any price reductions....but then they often times offer Onboard Credits that make them attractive. Also, beware of initial booking fees. And finally, if you see a price drop you MUST go through the TA so you need to find one that is responsive....he who hesitates is lost....if they do not return your call or e-mail, your price drop might disappear.

We book on-line, been cruising for more years than many folks have been alive....and used to be in the travel industy....so we trust ourselves.

Check for the multiple comments your thread will generate and then make your personal decision.

we always book through rccl.com. You have total control over your reservation and can call them anytime. I check price drops multiple times a day. I have found some of the best drops in the middle of the night! (Like a GS on OOS for $1699pp or a CL for $1749pp ) If a better room becomes available you can switch easily. Happy Cruising

I have to say that I've been booking earlier and earlier as I've been seeing fewer "good sales" even after final payment. The price I've paid has consistently been lower than the last minute sales out of Galveston (or FLL or MIA for that matter).

I'm now converted to a Book Early Person.

Yes, usually the earlier you book, the lower the price. So I would book now for next summer. Also, higher catagories sell out first. Last week I saw a Jr Sutie for a lot more than we paid for a Grand Suite on Navigator for Feb. 2014, and the GS's have been sold out for months.

I have sailed Royal once about 5 years ago and most recently have become very familiar with Carnival. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to book? Directly with RCI? Travel agent?

2. Are there price matches available ( like Carnival)?

3. Looking at cruises from Galveston next summer, should I wait to book? Does there seem to be fluctuations in pricing ?

Thanks

1. The only way to get the lowest price is by using a TA. Only a TA can give you OBC or other perks that lower the final price of your cruise. Royal does not allow discounting of cruises (unless it is a group booking).

2. Not familiar with Carnival

3. The lowest price is always last minute -- after final payment is due. Because Royal no longer will guarantee prices after final payment, that is the time when prices start to fall. The problem with that is a.) you have to be happy taking cabins that are left and b.) if you are locked into booking air it could end up costing you more to book last minute air than by booking in advance.

Archived