How Do CA Guarantees Work?

CI66774

I'm new to Holland America. Considering the Nieuw Amsterdam transatlantic this October. I want to "book" a CA oceanview guarantee. However, I'm not quite sure how this works. Could I potentially be "upgraded" to a regular balcony? Or does HA have to provide me with a room in the "spa" categories (i.e. spa oceanview or balcony)? Any insight is appreciated!

I'm new to Holland America. Considering the Nieuw Amsterdam transatlantic this October. I want to "book" a CA oceanview guarantee. However, I'm not quite sure how this works. Could I potentially be "upgraded" to a regular balcony? Or does HA have to provide me with a room in the "spa" categories (i.e. spa oceanview or balcony)? Any insight is appreciated!

When you book a guarantee, regardless of the category, you are saying it is ok to move you anywhere on the ship as long as it is a higher category. You may consider this good or bad depending where you end up. However, I have heard that if you book a spa category that you are upgraded to another spa category. This may have changed since it was some time ago that I heard this. The category CA has the biggest square footage for the outside cabins and the windows are twice as big. I know this from calling and asking the dimensions as I had booked this category. I had to cancel the cruise so never got to stay in it. You will feel more motion being the very front of the ship so if you suffer any from motion this would not be a good category for you. Hope this helps.

Hal guarantees you will get the cabin catagory you booked. Now you 'might' be upgraded or get an up sell to a highter catagory but at least you will have your CA. Now if that catagory is what you want and you prefer not to get an upgrade you can tell Hal that and they will put you down as no upgrade.

Now if that catagory is what you want and you prefer not to get an upgrade you can tell Hal that and they will put you down as no upgrade.

Not if OP books under guarantee. In that case HAL can place her anywhere in the CA category or higher as they wish. HAL gets to decide what categories are higher, and they may or may not be desirable cabins to the poster.

Not if OP books under guarantee. In that case HAL can place her anywhere in the CA category or higher as they wish. HAL gets to decide what categories are higher, and they may or may not be desirable cabins to the poster.

Thanks for the correction, I was under the belief that you could ask not to be upgraded. Well, I guess you could but Hal is not going to listen to you if you book a guarantee. :D

Thanks for the correction, I was under the belief that you could ask not to be upgraded. Well, I guess you could but Hal is not going to listen to you if you book a guarantee. :D

Melodie, I think you are more than 99% correct. If you state on the form with HAL you don't want to be moved and pay for a particular cabin, I don't think they would normally move you .. unless under very odd circumstances. They keep that right in their legalese but never happened to me.

I stayed in a CA cabin on the Eurodam and it was a fabulous cabin. 267 sq. ft. very wide room and windows all the way across. I brought a few couples I met by to see the room and they were amazed at the size. I loved it, right up on top 2 floors over the bridge. It was a Western Med though so there was no significant movement. On a transatlantic, it could be problematical.

Melodie, I think you are more than 99% correct. If you state on the form with HAL you don't want to be moved and pay for a particular cabin, I don't think they would normally move you .. unless under very odd circumstances. They keep that right in their legalese but never happened to me.

I stayed in a CA cabin on the Eurodam and it was a fabulous cabin. 267 sq. ft. very wide room and windows all the way across. I brought a few couples I met by to see the room and they were amazed at the size. I loved it, right up on top 2 floors over the bridge. It was a Western Med though so there was no significant movement. On a transatlantic, it could be problematical.

I have heard great things about these cabins... Wish there were more photos out there!

Archived