Jeans and jacket in MDR on formal night

Sure there are! There are lots of simple answers. We just don't like to limit ourselves to those simple answers. :D

Kind of like when the defense lawyer wanted me to answer in either a yes or a no format. And of course I didn't want to. So I would have to say to the Judge. You're Honor. I can't answer that in a yes or a no format. May I be permitted to expand on my answer. LOL

We very shortly have a cruise on IOS and whilst packing, tried on my tux trousers.....wish I had`nt, they have shrunk considerably :mad:

I don`t want to go and buy another pair as I am sure they will expand again in a few months :rolleyes:

The neck of my dress shirt has also shrunk for some reason, but strangely enough my tux jacket has remained the same size and fits me fine (it was possibly too big to start with :rolleyes:)

I do wish to eat in the MDR on formal night as I like the menu on these evenings in particular, but do not want to be refused entry.

If I wear black dress shoes, black jeans, the jacket, and an open neck shirt, would this be ok.

I have had a trial run in the mirror and it does`nt look bad at all (the jacket is a tux but does`nt look like your standard tux).

And, would this also do for CHOPS?:confused:

Please enjoy your cruise and wear what (you) feel comfortable in on formal night. I would much rather have someone at my table in jeans on formal night that can engage in a good conversation than someone in a tux that might just be a bore ( not saying all people in tuxes are boring:))

What I would like to know is how many people go around checking to see what pants are being worn once people are seated? I mean please consider, 99% of the time at dinner is spent sitting at the table where no one except the most intrusive can see what pants you are wearing.

What I would like to know is how many people go around checking to see what pants are being worn once people are seated? I mean please consider, 99% of the time at dinner is spent sitting at the table where no one except the most intrusive can see what pants you are wearing.

This is a common comment on this topic, but it's pretty lame. Heck, why even bother wearing pants at all, if you're going to be sitting most of the time.

I just think it makes more sense, if you don't care what people wear to dinner, to say you don't care what people wear to dinner. Trying to justify it based on "you're sitting most of the time" is a weak argument.

The black jeans with tux jacket worked for my husband on a cruise where he forgot his tux pants. He looked very nice and I don't think any of the fashion police noticed. If they did, no one fainted or threw savory bites at him.

He liked the way he looked so much that he has talked about doing it again!:D

Sherri:)

You can never get enough savory bites....sorry it didn't work!!;):)

If I wear black dress shoes, black jeans, the jacket, and an open neck shirt, would this be ok.

I have had a trial run in the mirror and it does`nt look bad at all (the jacket is a tux but does`nt look like your standard tux).

A few years ago, my nephew realize, after boarding the ship, that he had left his suit and dress shoes at home - 3 hours away. Fortunately, he had a pair of pressed black jeans, his black ostrich dress boots, and a black jacket. He looked fantastic on formal night and even got compliments from strangers about his attire.....of course, we were cruising from Galveston, Texas and many, if not most, of the cruisers were Texans....so he was dressed "Texas formal." :D

This is a common comment on this topic, but it's pretty lame. Heck, why even bother wearing pants at all, if you're going to be sitting most of the time.

I just think it makes more sense, if you don't care what people wear to dinner, to say you don't care what people wear to dinner. Trying to justify it based on "you're sitting most of the time" is a weak argument.

Well, I guess what I was trying to say is, there will always be people who like to mind other peoples business. Personally, I couldn't care less.

The second night, my other half and I wanted to try the Reflections Restaurant. Having completely missed that it was a formal night, she was wearing blue jeans and a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt, me also wearing blue jeans and a Transformers T-shirt. The rest of our table had dresses and suits, but noone minded one bit.

Made for a funny conversation topic, but none of us felt underdressed. Though, that could also have been because of the mindset of the other people around our table.

For the two other nights, I just wore black jeans, a white shirt and a black tie. Never felt the need for a complete suit or tuxedo.

A couple of years ago I saw a passenger wearing that black novelty T-Shirt with a picture of a tux on it, so you look like you are wearing a tux. This was not impressive. I still use this as a defense when my wife hassles me for etiquette: "At least I'm not a goof wearing a tuxedo shirt to a formal night!"

http://www.amazon.com/Tuxedo-T-shirt-hilarious-funny-gag/dp/B0012GR3ME

Having said that, I do understand that formal night can be a hassle. Many airlines charge you for bags, so it is hard to allocate a lot of luggage real estate to a suit that you will be wearing for only a few hours. Do wear a shirt and tie with nice pants. Don’t wear a tux shirt.

Go for it...you're not breaking any rules or dress codes.....as long as you're happy and enjoying yourself....

Let all the cruise snobs cluck away...they're a dieing breed.

You don't know them and will never see them again.

Dress shoes, nice jeans witha tux probably OK, but the looks you would get would probably be from the open neck shirt, I would think. They MAY ask you to put on a tie, but dress code for MDR are recommendations, only. Don't know about Chops

"They" will NEVER ask you to put on a tie. As a previous poster said there will be those more formally and less formally dressed than what you are thinking of wearing. :)

Nobody's even going to notice if you're wearing new black jeans, especially with a jacket. I'd be more worried about getting purple legs from the dye in the jeans. It isn't too bad--it washes off after a good scrubbing. The white washcloth will be history, though!

We very shortly have a cruise on IOS and whilst packing, tried on my tux trousers.....wish I had`nt, they have shrunk considerably :mad:

I don`t want to go and buy another pair as I am sure they will expand again in a few months :rolleyes:

The neck of my dress shirt has also shrunk for some reason, but strangely enough my tux jacket has remained the same size and fits me fine (it was possibly too big to start with :rolleyes:)

I do wish to eat in the MDR on formal night as I like the menu on these evenings in particular, but do not want to be refused entry.

JCP has cheap formal slacks and/or black slacks and cheap formal shirts are available on so many web sites. you don't have to buy the whole tux.

I also when I really want to pack tight, Navy blue blazer, dark grey slacks, white or blue shirts with nice tie gets me into any dining room in the world. I wear the Blazer when flying (holds passport, tickets and at times gets me upgraded to Bus/First class as it looks like I belong as opposed to the guy with the Beer T-shirt.

I think the only people that would be giving you funny looks is the people from cruise critic! :eek:

Absolutely, though I would modify it to say some of the people from CC. It's only a problem here.

Just to weigh in here, IMO formal night is supposed to be a fun thing for people who don't normally get dressed up for dinner (because most of us don't) and possibly take some family pictures in our formal attire (again which most of us don't do on a regular basis).

We did it very formal on our first few cruises and recently we have cut it back quite a bit to dress pants, dress shirts and a tie, women in some sort of nice dress. Other nights we just lose the tie and the women wear a more casual dress or pants/blouse. Never jeans, usually not even on regular nights, but that is just us and how we like to do it. It also is a matter of saving on our packing due to ariline charges for bags and/or having to lug them around pre and post cruise. On a 7 night cruise I can bring 2-3 pairs of slacks, 3-4 dress shirts and a couple of ties to make at least 7 different combinations- which saves a lot of room when it comes to packing.

I agree that shorts and baseball hats should never be worn in the MDR but anything else is just a matter or preference and up to the in individual on what experience they want to get out of it.

But, if I ever get to the point where my experience is ruined by somebody else not conforming to my idea of formal or appropriate dining attire then that's my problem to deal with, not their problem. Vacation is supposed to be fun and I don't have anough vacation time to worry about little things, especially when it's somebody else's business and not mine.

I know there are a lot of threads on this subject and I usually just don't bother reading them but felt compelled to put my opinion out there this time as I read most of the posts by others. But it's strictly my opinon and I ask that you respect it even if you don't agree with it because that is what I will do with your opinion.

Only cruise I took jeans on was an Alaskan cruise. I regretted that decision. Also had a gown that I had just worn to my son's wedding. The gown weighs less.

I don't care what anyone else looks like, I like dressing up. Takes me the same amount of effort.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our experience on "formal nights" has been that the majority of people dress like they are going to church....whatever that is. Most of the women are in dresses or nice pants-and-top and most of the men are in slacks and a dress shirt of some kind. Many of the men have on jackets (some with ties) and many of the women have on sparkly something-or-other.

We have not seen anyone is shorts and t-shirts in the dining room on formal night....and we've cruised a lot a places. I've never paid any attention to the jeans thing, except for my nephew (because he was SO worried about it)!

I refuse to allow someone else and their taste in clothing impact my cruise experience. If I don't like what they're wearing, I can look the other way! And they can do likewise.....

Just my opinion......

Archived