After Dinner Coffee Part 2

Billthekid

[ATTACH]276873[/ATTACH]The other day I Started a thread about Holland American charging for certain after dinner coffees only in the dinning room that were complimentary previously and questioned the logic and where this policy was headed. :mad: I happened to take a kitchen tour and took a picture of the coffee machine. I wonder why pushing one button cost nothing and pushing another button cost more. The beans, water, milk are the same for a latte that they are for a cappuccino. If Holland can squeeze another nickel our of us, they will do it. But, they continue to tarnish their Symbol of Excellence by doing this. I wish they would change their policy. Please see attachment with my adjustments for the dinning stewards.

IMG_2584.jpg.9a657468e5c9bddd717071c54b43d230.jpg

When cruisers scramble to get the lowest possible fares, what do we think will happen?

Of course, they will charge for extras. Pay in the fare or pay at time of consumption but everything on a cruise ship costs.

At one point cruises were pretty much "all inclusive". Then the people that don't drink alcohol complained about paying for others drinking habit. The fares went down a bit, and people were charged for alcoholic beverages.

Other people said "I only drink water and tea, why am I paying for others to drink Coke?" So the lines started charging for sodas, maybe the cruse fare went down.

Many people don't drink coffee, let alone the "fancy" coffee. Why should they subsidize the coffee habits of others!

The list can go on and on. Everything you feel the cruise line is "Nickel and Diming" you to death on is something that someone else does not want / need as part of their cruise. For these items, HAL and other cruise lines have chosen to allow those that wish to partake that option at an additional added cost.

Now, there is an idea. Since I would have no problem eating vegetarian on an entire cruise, I don't want to underwrite the cost of everyone else's steak and lobster. Charge them extra for it!

Oh, and charge me less to eat at the PG if I order the vegetarian option there, too.

Now, there is an idea. Since I would have no problem eating vegetarian on an entire cruise, I don't want to underwrite the cost of everyone else's steak and lobster. Charge them extra for it!

Oh, and charge me less to eat at the PG if I order the vegetarian option there, too.

Prices on fruits and veggies have increased...... along with everything else. :eek:

Then they would go to an a la carte menu in every dining area and you would pay for what you order every meal. No food included in your basic fare.

Then they would go to an a la carte menu in every dining area and you would pay for what you order every meal. No food included in your basic fare.

That is where I think cruise ship dining/eating is headed....

sooner rather than later.

I think they will start it with only Lido included in the fare and ultimately will phase that out.

At one point cruises were pretty much "all inclusive". Then the people that don't drink alcohol complained about paying for others drinking habit. The fares went down a bit, and people were charged for alcoholic beverages.

Other people said "I only drink water and tea, why am I paying for others to drink Coke?" So the lines started charging for sodas, maybe the cruse fare went down.

Many people don't drink coffee, let alone the "fancy" coffee. Why should they subsidize the coffee habits of others!

The list can go on and on. Everything you feel the cruise line is "Nickel and Diming" you to death on is something that someone else does not want / need as part of their cruise. For these items, HAL and other cruise lines have chosen to allow those that wish to partake that option at an additional added cost.

You are right on the money! And frankly, all the angst about a $2 charge for an espresso is a bit much.

[ATTACH]276873[/ATTACH]The other day I Started a thread about Holland American charging for certain after dinner coffees only in the dinning room that were complimentary previously and questioned the logic and where this policy was headed. :mad: I happened to take a kitchen tour and took a picture of the coffee machine. I wonder why pushing one button cost nothing and pushing another button cost more. The beans, water, milk are the same for a latte that they are for a cappuccino. If Holland can squeeze another nickel our of us, they will do it. But, they continue to tarnish their Symbol of Excellence by doing this. I wish they would change their policy. Please see attachment with my adjustments for the dinning stewards.

Thanks for the great picture, you certainly makes a valid point in my opinion but I think Sail has hit the perveral nail on the head.

When cruisers scramble to get the lowest possible fares, what do we think will happen?

Of course, they will charge for extras. Pay in the fare or pay at time of consumption but everything on a cruise ship costs.

You are right on the money! And frankly, all the angst about a $2 charge for an espresso is a bit much.

I agree with you. Many mornings I buy my skinny latte from the Explorations. I'm pretty ok with it. I can have free coffee in the MDR but I like my latte. Big deal.

May I just say that I don't object to the added $2 charge but on a recent cruise my party and I found the need to constantly pull out our cards in the MDR for wine, sodas and then coffee to be intrusive. Even at a diner you pay once at the end of the meal not for each item you order.

When that happens, we will probably not be cruising then.

I'm undecided about how I'd feel if all food was charged like in any restaurant. If they continue to lower the quality of selections and diminish the dining experience, I'd rather pay for what we want and have the sort of things available that have disappeared from menus in recent years.

I'm not sure it is such a horrid idea to provide Lido at the same level it now is presented included in the fare and charge for all other food.

May I just say that I don't object to the added $2 charge but on a recent cruise my party and I found the need to constantly pull out our cards in the MDR for wine, sodas and then coffee to be intrusive. Even at a diner you pay once at the end of the meal not for each item you order.

Yeah but usually you'd have one server on land. I'm just happy if the wine steward makes an appearance at the table. I've had to chase them down on my last several Hal cruises. That's just wrong.

I agree with you. Many mornings I buy my skinny latte from the Explorations. I'm pretty ok with it. I can have free coffee in the MDR but I like my latte. Big deal.

I've yet to get ANY decent coffee product on ANY cruise that I did not pay extra for.;)

Unfortunately many Psgrs don't understand this... The airlines gave up feeding the masses & now charge for everything..Psgrs don't realize that many of the cabins are exactly the same price or less than they were ten-fifteen years ago..

Have any of you kept track of the price you pay for your cruises? I'm sure if you did a comparison you would be amazed..The cost of living has increased but not in all transportation sectors..

Have kept track of the price of every cabin we've booked on every cruise, since 1998...These prices are for two of us & include taxes & port charges..We always book outsides & I'm comparing only our Caribbean cruises which follows: ..

Oct. 1998 the Ryndam was $267 per day..

Nov 2001 the Volendam was $272.50 per day

Nov 2006 the Ryndam was $228. 40 per day..

Nov. 2008 the Maasdam was $215.50 per day..

Nov. 2010 the Noordam was $200.40 per day

Jan 2012 the New Amsterdam was $231 per day

Nov 2012 the Noordam was $231.80 per day

We're again booked on the Ryndam this coming Nov. at a rate of $212.50 per day..

Check out the Gov. Inflation rate at:

http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/

Put in the item costing $267 in 1998..According to the calculator we should be paying $470.60 per day, a change of 42.9% not $212.50..Check it out..You can insert the amount you paid in any given year & see what it would cost now if it kept up with the Rate of Inflation..

It stands to reason that if the price of the basic cruise is to remain the same, then HAL & other cruise lines have to charge for many more extras in order to make a profit, hence nickel & diming as some call it...

Only our longer Prinsendam cruises & those which we booked trans-Atlantic with a travel wholesaler we paid a gtood deal more..Our last South America/Antarctica Cruise was the highest price we've ever paid on a cruise, but it was well worth it..

I think many of you foresee that sooner rather than later the cruise companies are going to charge for basic meals..

Cheers...Betty

Unfortunately many Psgrs don't understand this... The airlines gave up feeding the masses & now charge for everything..Psgrs don't realize that many of the cabins are exactly the same price or less than they were ten-fifteen years ago..

Have any of you kept track of the price you pay for your cruises? I'm sure if you did a comparison you would be amazed..The cost of living has increased but not in all transportation sectors..

Have kept track of the price of every cabin we've booked on every cruise, since 1998...These prices are for two of us & include taxes & port charges..We always book outsides & I'm comparing only our Caribbean cruises which follows: ..

We're again booked on the Ryndam this coming Nov. at a rate of $212.50 per day..

Put in the item costing $267 in 1998..According to the calculator we should be paying $470.60 per day, a change of 42.9% not $212.50..Check it out..You can insert the amount you paid in any given year & see what it would cost now if it kept up with the Rate of Inflation..

It stands to reason that if the price of the basic cruise is to remain the same, then HAL & other cruise lines have to charge for many more extras in order to make a profit, hence nickel & diming as some call it...

Only our longer Prinsendam cruises & those which we booked trans-Atlantic with a travel wholesaler we paid a gtood deal more..Our last South America/Antarctica Cruise was the highest price we've ever paid on a cruise, but it was well worth it..

I think many of you foresee that sooner rather than later the cruise companies are going to charge for basic meals..

Cheers...Betty

I hear this all the time and I have kept track of my cruises over the years. I have not found them going down in price. Maybe if you are a bargain hunter you can capitalize on this. Usually I have to fit mine around work deadlines so it his limits what I can take. I only wish I'd get some of these great bargains.

Cheers...Betty

As you say, one must also factor inflation.

What is today's dollar worth, how much does it buy vs what it bought in 1998, the start of your chart?

I saw your several references cost of living increase which, of course, is considerable.

I hear this all the time and I have kept track of my cruises over the years. I have not found them going down in price. Maybe if you are a bargain hunter you can capitalize on this. Usually I have to fit mine around work deadlines so it his limits what I can take. I only wish I'd get some of these great bargains.

Understand that work can dictate when you can travel..For years I could not travel in the summer (peak season) for Europe..However, these are not considered sale or bargain prices...Check out the HAL brochures..I'm sure that when HAL has a sale some of these prices are even less.. We get brochures from HAL constantly, so you should be able to find these prices too..I see many veranda prices which have not increased either..

These brochure prices are discounted by Agents, (on-line as well as Brick & Mortar), who have blocked space & are for 10 days or more..Our Nov cruise is a back to back for 21 days which HAL has been discounting for many years..As you can see they are in the early fall or winter months which is considered peak season for cruising & they are for the Caribbean...

Hope you are getting better after your surgery..

Cheers..:)Betty

We have traveled a lot, both for business and in retirement. We have seen the prices change and realize the travel industry needs to make a profit. We vote with our dollar which product we will be using. If we don't like the product, we don't buy it. The industry can put out all kinds of excuses of why there is a price increase, decrease, but sooner or later they are going to hit the breaking point. Holland, in our opinion has hit the breaking point. The picture we attached at the beginning of this thread showed a automatic coffee machine with five kinds of coffee for after dinner. Three were without charge and two required a fee. The same items that goes into a cappuccino are the same as for a latte. just a button difference. In the MDR there is a fee, but in the Pinnacle and Italian restaurant there is no charge. Meanwhile, the steward has to collect my cabin card and push some more buttons on a different machine and charge a 15% service fee. The coffee is served well after desert has been consumed and is cold and diluted. All this for $1.50, composed of 30 nickels, or 15 dimes. Meaningless on a $4,000 cruise, but a fine example of a Corporate Policy whose aim is a profit regardless of the customers experience. Like some of the comments, sooner or later, there will be a separate charge for each thing consumed on their ships.

Archived