Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

I am now a corrupted person. I am not completely sure when it happened ,

I had not "tipped" a baggage porter at the airport. But I just thought they were doing their job - just as the ones here at home do. Although I do confess that I did see the badge on the porters' breast - which said "I WORK FOR TIPS"

Barry

So you gave him nothing??

I would rather be a corrupt person than a mean one..

No wonder we have such a bad reputation overseas..it makes me cringe.:mad:

WOW some people must be such skint flints and dont even know it!

Because one persons husband doesnt tip his barber is confirmation that Barbers do not get tipped in Australia, But i always tip my Barber so that must be confirmation that Barber "Do get tipped" in Australia:confused:

"To The fishtaco" lol:D:D:D ROFALMAO

WOW some people must be such skint flints and dont even know it!

Because one persons husband doesnt tip his barber is confirmation that Barbers do not get tipped in Australia, But i always tip my Barber so that must be confirmation that Barber "Do get tipped" in Australia:confused:

"To The fishtaco" lol:D:D:D ROFALMAO

Like..:D

Confession time.

I am now a corrupted person. I am not completely sure when it happened , when I became infected - it kind of crept up on me and before I knew it I was in its' grips.

Before I started cruising in 2007, I had never tipped anyone anywhere in my life. I was vaguely aware of its existence in the USA - and after our baggage was misdirected after a flight to Oklahoma from Dallas, Texas in 2000, I did wonder whether it had to do with the fact that I had not "tipped" a baggage porter at the airport. But I just thought they were doing their job - just as the ones here at home do. Although I do confess that I did see the badge on the porters' breast - which said "I WORK FOR TIPS"

But after 2007, when I first accepted that I MUST tip on board my very first cruise, now after 13 cruises, it has become ingrained and unfortunately, I am embarrassed to say, I find it difficult sometimes here at home to control myself. Although, when we returned from a World Cruise in 2010 during which the infection/corruption had raged within us for several months, a young man at the port in Brisbane offered to help us with our many bags. He obviously took pity on the sight of an old man and his wife struggling with 1 trolley and 10 assorted size bags. I was very grateful for the assistance and offered him some money. He embarrassed me -- but he brought me back to my senses and quenched the fire of corruption with me, made me grateful to be an Aussie. . He refused the money and said: "No Thanks -- that is my job" . But, once infected, it is a difficult affliction to shake. Like many addictions, it is so easy to justify to yourself. We ate out twice yesterday - once at a steakhouse for lunch and in the evening at a local Chinese joint. I couldn't stand it - I had to ask our companions to pay the bill and I would reimburse my half to them. You see - I am also now a coward. This is what overseas travel has done to me :(

Barry

Barry, I love your post.

A lot of people are relating different stories. We tip on cruise ships and when in USA or places where tips are expected. Otherwise "no" unless you can count rounding up a taxi fare. I don't tip my hairdresser and I don't think that makes me mean.

Well I would not know about mens barber shops as I have stopped visiting them. I got sick of the line up of old ageing pensioners with half a head of hair lined up for a very short trim of the measly little bits of hair they had left on their balding heads. I simply gave up and either did it myself or found a place I could book in to.

Now the issue is behind me as since July last year I have just decided to let me hair grow for a change.

So I would not have a clue what a barber gets. All I can go off is the history of when I last used them and they certainly did not want tips and often gave out freebies.

Barry, I love your post.

A lot of people are relating different stories. We tip on cruise ships and when in USA or places where tips are expected. Otherwise "no" unless you can count rounding up a taxi fare. I don't tip my hairdresser and I don't think that makes me mean.

I agree with you 100%........this is exactly what we do! :D

Well I would not know about mens barber shops as I have stopped visiting them. I got sick of the line up of old ageing pensioners with half a head of hair lined up for a very short trim of the measly little bits of hair they had left on their balding heads. I simply gave up and either did it myself or found a place I could book in to.

Now the issue is behind me as since July last year I have just decided to let me hair grow for a change.

So I would not have a clue what a barber gets. All I can go off is the history of when I last used them and they certainly did not want tips and often gave out freebies.

You should try a Barber next time on "non concession" days and the above problems will not exist:D:D:D

You should try a Barber next time on "non concession" days and the above problems will not exist:D:D:D

There is no such things as concession days. All the old folks get pensioner concessions any time. They are all lined up out the front of the shop from 6am blocking all the workers from getting their hair done. That is how bad it is. You have tradies and workers who cant get their hair cut any other time blocked off by OAPs wasting everyone elses valuable time and getting in other peoples way.

You know what Sutho? These old ageing pensioners with the balding heads have lived to reach this "golden" age......the way you are going, someone will turn your lights out before you reach yours! :eek::mad:

You know what Sutho? These old ageing pensioners with the balding heads have lived to reach this "golden" age......the way you are going' date=' someone will turn your lights out before you reach yours! :eek::mad:[/quote']

Guess he is not just mean with his money, but has a mean disposition to go with it..:rolleyes:

Bring on the old bald guys, I love em!!

They have some beautiful stories to tell .

We open at 8am, I am yet to know of a salon anywhere on our coast that opens at 6 am as Sutho stated..

You know what Sutho? These old ageing pensioners with the balding heads have lived to reach this "golden" age......the way you are going' date=' someone will turn your lights out before you reach yours! :eek::mad:[/quote']

His wife and friends would be horrified if they saw the way he behaves on CC.

He surely cannot be fair dinkum, and must be stirring the pot for fun.. Comments and attitudes to other people are mostly offensive and very Un-Australian..

(and, for what it matters as a fourth gen Aussie, we think it right, and have always tipped around 10% for restaurants and cabs in Aust).

Sue

Unfortunately the truth hurts. I gave up going to barber shops long ago. You would always walk in and there would be 6 men lined up, most of them half bald wanting a trip and tidy up. On average it takes the one man cutting a good 15 minutes per man by the time he does shave and snip and collect payment. That = 1.5 hours of my time stolen from my valuable day when I could be using that valuable time elsewhere.

There was one barber shop I used to go to that actually had a sign up no pensioner discounts before 10am. This was to give the workers wanting a trim before work a fair go. It did not work. In some areas the shops are open at 6am. Queensland is still a sleepy state compared to down here.

To cut all this bother out of my life I simply started going to female operated hair salons, booking in for an appointment and my time was not wasted. Screw sitting in barber shop for 1.5 hours just to get a 15min hair cut.

Also since July last year I have let my hair grow for a change and figured I will just grow it.

So you gave him nothing??

I would rather be a corrupt person than a mean one..

No wonder we have such a bad reputation overseas..it makes me cringe.:mad:

No - at that time , I was a very innocent person - with little exposure to the American world.

Another tale that may relate to you -- many years ago maybe 1999, I was on a group tour in Italy. We sat next to an American restaurant owner at dinner in a small Italian restaurant - very nice couple , we got to talking about our different countries. They were absolutely mortified when I told him that in Australia there is no tipping (it WAS 1999) and that restaurant waiters, etc were paid a reasonable living wage commensurate with their work. He told me that he could not possibly do business like that - his wages bill would kill him. I thought about that and could understand his position - this is the way it is done in the US -- but I wondered WHY it is that way. Then I realised that this way makes it very easy for the business owners - they don't really have to worry much about wages at all - it is in THEIR interests to support and encourage tipping from customer to staff. This way they have no pressures for increased cost of living claims from their staff.

Does this apply to you? - you seem inordinately keen to ensure that tipping is encouraged and maintained in your business.

Barry

Unfortunately the truth hurts. I gave up going to barber shops long ago. You would always walk in and there would be 6 men lined up, most of them half bald wanting a trip and tidy up. On average it takes the one man cutting a good 15 minutes per man by the time he does shave and snip and collect payment. That = 1.5 hours of my time stolen from my valuable day when I could be using that valuable time elsewhere.

There was one barber shop I used to go to that actually had a sign up no pensioner discounts before 10am. This was to give the workers wanting a trim before work a fair go. It did not work. In some areas the shops are open at 6am. Queensland is still a sleepy state compared to down here.

To cut all this bother out of my life I simply started going to female operated hair salons, booking in for an appointment and my time was not wasted. Screw sitting in barber shop for 1.5 hours just to get a 15min hair cut.

Also since July last year I have let my hair grow for a change and figured I will just grow it.

Reading some ridiculous posts has taken up too much of my precious time today, but its been interesting....very informative by some, as to what I am( Mafia ..:confused:)

Btw, Sutho, I own an all female operated Salon, if you were in the waiting room of my shop, and you were number 7 in line, you would wait about 10 mins max..

If they were all old bald boys in front of you, it would be even less...haha.

You were going to the wrong barbershop.:D

At least if you grow your hair long, you will save more Tip money, for your next US trip..and the hairdresser won't have to put up with you either..:rolleyes:

I cant see why a restaurant worker in Australia should get the "special treatment" They are on a decent wage. Better wage than cleaners. They have it good. Probably better than uni students on checkouts and shelf fillers.

To me that is just a symbol of snobbery by placing yourself on a threshold above them by splashing around money to boost your own ego rather that to reward.

Get real - you do not tip and if you read my post I said that you choose not to and that is your right. What you do not have the right though is to assume that your way is the only way and make comments about others choices. I am sad to say but not just in this thread.

To call what I choose to do as snobbery is offensive. At uni I worked as a waitress, I have friends who are cleaners. I know how important tips can be.

But then I wonder why I bother replying to you.

No - at that time , I was a very innocent person - with little exposure to the American world.

Another tale that may relate to you -- many years ago maybe 1999, I was on a group tour in Italy. We sat next to an American restaurant owner at dinner in a small Italian restaurant - very nice couple , we got to talking about our different countries. They were absolutely mortified when I told him that in Australia there is no tipping (it WAS 1999) and that restaurant waiters, etc were paid a reasonable living wage commensurate with their work. He told me that he could not possibly do business like that - his wages bill would kill him. I thought about that and could understand his position - this is the way it is done in the US -- but I wondered WHY it is that way. Then I realised that this way makes it very easy for the business owners - they don't really have to worry much about wages at all - it is in THEIR interests to support and encourage tipping from customer to staff. This way they have no pressures for increased cost of living claims from their staff.

Does this apply to you? - you seem inordinately keen to ensure that tipping is encouraged and maintained in your business.

Barry

No this has absolutely nothing to do with my wage structure...how ridiculous!!

I am controlled by Australian State Awards and the Federal Govt..we are not in Italy.

My staff get 25 bucks plus an hr, our cuts are between $9 and $18 .. Depending on how much hair...other salons charge a flat rate..

eg "Just Cuts" charge everyone $30..bald or not.

We don't, we just have to work harder....and cut quicker, and still be nice to everyone.

Whatever my girls get IF tipped is purely up to their clients,it has nothing to do with me.. whether or not they tip, it is not expected at all, its just that, a tip.. for their pleasant conversation and friendliness..some people only ever get to have a conversation, and a feeling of belonging when they sit in a hairdressers chair..its true that they come to us for someone to talk to, sometimes more than the need for a cut.

And you would have been around long enough before your 1st trip to the US, to know they indeed tip over there...sometimes its easier to use ignorance as an excuse not to pay..I have cruised with many Aussies that think like that...just plain mean.

No this has absolutely nothing to do with my wage structure...how ridiculous!!

My staff get 25 bucks plus an hr, our cuts are between $9 and $18 .. Depending on how much hair...other salons charge a flat rate..

eg "Just Cuts" charge everyone $30..bald or not.

We don't, we just have to work harder....and cut quicker, and still be nice to everyone.

Whatever my girls get IF tipped is purely up to their clients,it has nothing to do with me.. whether or not they tip, it is not expected at all, its just that, a tip.. for their pleasant conversation and friendliness..some people only ever get to have a conversation, and a feeling of belonging when they sit in a hairdressers chair..its true that they come to us for someone to talk to, sometimes more than the need for a cut.

And you would have been around long enough before your 1st trip to the US, to know they indeed tip over there...sometimes its easier to use ignorance as an excuse not to pay..I have cruised with many Aussies that think like that...just plain mean.

My haircuts cost $22.50 and I think that is a fairly low-price hair salon. If I was paying $9 (or even a medium price of say $14 as my hair is very short) I wouldn't mind tipping a couple of dollars.

My haircuts cost $22.50 and I think that is a fairly low-price hair salon. If I was paying $9 (or even a medium price of say $14 as my hair is very short) I wouldn't mind tipping a couple of dollars.

Our old boys can come more often,every two weeks, old guys love to be neat... its easier for us to do as they just need a tidy up, and we end up with the same money as a more expensive salon..and yes its cheaper, but its always good work..thats why its still going after 25yrs..

But you would have to be a baldie, to get it for nine bucks

Lol.

Well my hair does cost $10 ( I am one of Suthos balding men....if 47 is old). But every time I go in I get a number one all over and it takes literally 5 minutes. Damn site shorter time than when I have to wait for those poncy people in love with their hair that take 30 minutes taking up a chair... :eek:

And I will never ever tip a hairdresser. No more than I tip a minimum wage shop assistant. Anyone in here that seems to want to big note themselves tipping taxi drivers or hairdressers or barmen, even tip the checkout operator at a supermarket? They will be getting less than many of those occupations you mentioned. I can think of many more that don't get any cut of a tip...

Our old boys can come more often,every two weeks, old guys love to be neat... its easier for us to do as they just need a tidy up, and we end up with the same money as a more expensive salon..and yes its cheaper, but its always good work..thats why its still going after 25yrs..

But you would have to be a baldie, to get it for nine bucks

Plenty of hairdressers ( or the hairdresser equivalent of a battery farm) that only charge $10-$14 for a simple men's clipper cut....

They will make more doing that than some guy sitting in a chair for 30 minutes.

Given you were going to a bloke's hairdresser you should have just gone to one which had more than one staff member.

No way would I wait 1.5 hours for a 15 minute cut.

. I thought about that and could understand his position - this is the way it is done in the US -- but I wondered WHY it is that way. Then I realised that this way makes it very easy for the business owners - they don't really have to worry much about wages at all - it is in THEIR interests to support and encourage tipping from customer to staff. This way they have no pressures for increased cost of living claims from their staff.

It's similar to the cruise lines. There are also benefits - significant to them - of having reduced revenue, and significantly reduced taxation. That enables cruise prices to be lower than they otherwise would be - though at the expense of revenue (in part) to the US...

Did you know that the waiter bringing your meal to your restaurant table on Saturday night is earning between $30-$70/hour? This is assuming that the employer is paying 'on the books' and is dependant on age (adult wages start at 21), slight differences in EBA's V state/federal award conditions, and if the wait staff are also required to serve alcohol (an additional loading, prior to any time based loadings). The base wage will be anywhere between $15-$25/hr (or more if above award wages are being paid), then doubled (Saturday night is double time). If they are casual, then an additional 25% loading is added. On top of that the employer is also paying an additional 9% of gross wages in superannuation to anyone 18+ who earns $450 (gross) or more in a calendar month. No wonder meal prices are so expensive!

The same wait staff in the US are earning $4-$10 an hour, no super, and probably no medicare/medicaid.

I am not being critical of those of your who choose to tip, but as a teacher, this is a much higher hourly rate than I get. If only my students (or their parents) offered me a tip!! I have a few teacher friends who earn really good money by supplementing their income in hospitality positions - and any tips received are pooled and added to the end of year/Christmas bender! Feel free to tip at your discretion, but don't be fooled as to where your tips are really going ;).

Cheers,

Archived